Dead Servers

90 Pandaren Monk

#2. The playerbase is stupid. People will freak the hell out about how this game is dying.

I think this is it but I imagine anytime any company such as this one merges servers, investors might also get a little uneasy.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It's not the players fault for the server being dead, so the player should not be the one forced to pay to fix it.
Re rolling is not something anyone should need to do to be able to play the game as a mmo.

Paying a server transfer fee is not something someone should need to do to play the game as a mmo.

There's alot of dead servers, there's 246 North American servers and that's just too many. It's the same amount they had when they had over 12 million subs, now they have 9.6 million. Many players were playing on full servers that are now dead. It's time Blizzard address the issue and come up with a solution.
You deserve a cookie!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
02/08/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Arhagon

You do realize that this just makes the situation worse right? Blizzard needs to do this the other way and offer free transfers TO low pop servers and offer hefty incentives to do so.

Like free mount or free level 85 if you stay on the server???? What could incentive a good number of players that the question. There is also a large number of dead servers.

It's not the players fault for the server being dead, so the player should not be the one forced to pay to fix it.

That is true but life is not always fair.

wow isn't life.. uh. well.. shouldn't be LOL
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

I don't know Searc... is this another "prove it" post?

No, did I say to prove it? I just asked you where the happy people were.

And if I can't pull happy people out of the air, that proves there aren't any? Didn't we already have this conversation in another thread?

I hate it when you start to see your logic failing that you always resort to this type of responses.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Then by gawd, put me on ignore if you can't handle me and my responses. I asked you a simple question. If you didn't have an answer, then just say so instead of personally attacking me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/08/2013 10:19 AMPosted by Searc
Then by gawd, put me on ignore if you can't handle me and my responses. I asked you a simple question. If you didn't have an answer, then just say so instead of personally attacking me.

I didn't personally attack you. What answer did you expect me to have? I simply asked you not to use the usual "prove it" response you always resort to.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 09:56 AMPosted by Cocoa
You want change but are unwilling to do what it takes to achieve it. You're telling everyone who is happy with the way things are to suck it up to accomodate you.

Because I don't see why I have to pay more in time or money as the next person to get the same opportunities to play because of something that is not of my making,
WOW has the same number or more servers from when it had its highest number of players, why is it I (and apparently not just me) who have to "suck it up" and pay more because of the decrease in population? Some where someone is going to lose in this according to your argument, but why is it when other MMOs saw a large decrease in its users that they are smart enough to merge servers and WOW is not. I don’t play on a low populated server now so it doesn’t affect me, but I have toons on other servers that I don’t play for that reason alone. Sooner or later blizzard will have to “suck it up” and realize that they are not at their high point anymore (not saying the game is dying) and do something about the growing amount of lower populated servers
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
CRZ increases the problem with very low population server economies. All old world materials are now being funneled to different servers based on percentage of players in the realm pool. I belong to what is essentially the only raiding guild on my server - Alliance side. If someone needs to swap professions (like the engineer needs to swap toons and we need repair bots), that requires raid group farming now that we have run through our personal stockpiles.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/08/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Elloe
You want change but are unwilling to do what it takes to achieve it. You're telling everyone who is happy with the way things are to suck it up to accomodate you.

Because I don't see why I have to pay more in time or money as the next person to get the same opportunities to play because of something that is not of my making,
WOW has the same number or more servers from when it had its highest number of players, why is it I (and apparently not just me) who have to "suck it up" and pay more because of the decrease in population? Some where someone is going to lose in this according to your argument, but why is it when other MMOs saw a large decrease in its users that they are smart enough to merge servers and WOW is not. I don’t play on a low populated server now so it doesn’t affect me, but I have toons on other servers that I don’t play for that reason alone. Sooner or later blizzard will have to “suck it up” and realize that they are not at their high point anymore (not saying the game is dying) and do something about the growing amount of lower populated servers

All I can say is that, at this time, Blizzard doesn't agree with you. They seem to feel that offering free transfers OFF of a dying realm would be counter productive and server mergers are more damaging than they are worth.

So you feeling "forced" to do something is still a choice. Many others have made the same choice as you... stay where you are and demand Blizzard do more than the choices they already offer. Many others have taken advantage of the choices offered and are satisfied. The rest are just happy where they are and don't want to merge or transfer.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
02/08/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Cocoa

I didn't personally attack you. What answer did you expect me to have? I simply asked you not to use the usual "prove it" response you always resort to.

Really? Maybe you should go re-read your posts. And no, I do not always have "prove it" responses. In reality, I barely ever say it. If you cannot debate someone without stooping so low as to personally attacking them.. then put them on ignore and move on.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/07/2013 07:49 AMPosted by Brokenstar
75$ is a lot of money over the course of 3 paychecks? 25$ is a lot of money? You're either too young to have a job or have a horrible job.

or have a lot of bills, a family to support, saving up for more important things like school and textbooks. Just cus your willing to spend money like that doent mean everyone else can.
And personally idc over how long u take to pay it, its still a lot to pay to fix something that we didnt break.

Another point im not seeing very often is the auction house. dead servers have dead auction houses. crz only made this worse since people from other servers are taking all the resources leaving the low pop servers with even less to sell.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Cocoa
All I can say is that, at this time, Blizzard doesn't agree with you. They seem to feel that offering free transfers OFF of a dying realm would be counter productive and server mergers are more damaging than they are worth.

There is logic in that, and free transfers as well as paid transfers will further kill a realm.
I can’t believe that blizzard doesn’t see the growing problem as a reason that not much has been done to fix it (free transfers from high to low populated servers seem to be the only band aid they have tried)
It’s been a good debate but I think we are at an impasse
Reply Quote
55 Goblin Death Knight
After reading hundreds of these type of post. I still say half who post on wow forums are wow employees. It makes no sense why a person would argue against something that would also help them personal. It is like a guy giving out hundred dollar bills and saying no thanks. No one in right mind turns down a hundred bucks. Yet people who protest against free transfer are doing just that and it against human nature. Thus, they have to be Blizzard employees.

Now let’s try to answer the main question. Why not offer for free transfer form low and med servers to a select medium serves. That way they can merge servers without calling it a merge. As it gives the persons several realm to choose and maybe save there name. Then close down those servers. If they can offer free transfer from high, then why not low to medium. That makes no sense. They have offered free transfer in past. Yet now they do not want to do what makes sense.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Jondus
have a family that I put first and budget what time and money I do have for my silly hobbie. Money is money some have a lot some not so much.

How does it work if i have a gym membership? What if theres nobody to lift with? (do you even lift?)

Can i just demand they bring more people? maybe take me to a higer population gym cause i cant afford to go there?

This is apples to oranges, really. The Gym cannot control the population (in the case of nobody coming). They cannot fix that problem.

Blizzard has it in their power to fix this realm pop problem by merging servers, they're just holding out as a last resort measure.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Priest

What are the reasons? So far I've only heard of the "same name" problem.

Each reason has been discussed multiple times, perhaps you should use the search feature or google. Names are the least of the concern.

Here is a small list of things to consider:
1) Server stability
2) Database stability
3) Server mergers are a bandaid fix that don't solve the problems most people think they do.
4) Merging servers with databases as large and as spread out as the ones here in WoW is very risky and a pita. The server databases were never designed to talk to each other, which is why we can't mail items to other servers.
5) Server achievements
6) Those who demand server mergers rarely are thinking about the game and more about getting something for free.
7) The list I am sure can go on.

Server merge is a bad idea and it's not going to happen but they can easily close low pop realms and allow transfers off of them. It's something that will have to be done eventually and trying to avoid the bad press now may actually make things worse later on.

This is something that has been done before when the Russian servers opened.
Edited by Treusterus on 2/8/2013 12:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I don't get it, I really don't.

If you want to enjoy the game, transfer 1 character at a time each time you get a paycheck. Seriously, 25 dollars each. You don't have to transfer them all at one time.

Why should he have to pay extra to get a decent game experience when others don't have to?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
02/08/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Lingsu
You really dont know what youre talking about. You have used my quotes out of context to try and prove a point that you think you have. Youre just making yerself look worse when it comes to the other post you have. You cant use a 14yr old mind to talk to adults all the time. It just doesnt work.

Really? You're not making much sense here... if you can't use a 14 yr old mind to talk to adults all the time, then why are you trying so hard to? I think you can talk to adults just fine if you try.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]