When you get your 4th tier helm token

90 Orc Shaman
02/02/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Arpandaday
People don't realize that the only thing gear is good for is a tool to clear content, or to access the next level of content. If you aren't doing either of those, then gear is pointless.

But it's so SHINY.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My gear no longer matters when there is no more heroic bosses to kill. In this case, I have 6 more this tier personally, and then the next tier to look forward to.

People don't realize that the only thing gear is good for is a tool to clear content, or to access the next level of content. If you aren't doing either of those, then gear is pointless.

Technically speaking you (and I, and most people here) have more than enough gears to clear 16/16H... The limiting factor at this point is certainly not gears... And yet people still collecting gears as if it's "mandatory"... Why? Because gearing up is a part of character progression... It was a core concept, an addicting crack, in RPG way before WoW, before raid progression, and before MMORPG even existed...
Reply Quote
97 Undead Priest
02/01/2013 10:13 PMPosted by Jerrolyn
No more than your gear matters once you get to heroic mode? I mean what are you gearing up for, super heroic mode?

Heroic mode not being !@#$ing brutal... and then... the next tier.

Since LFR is a complete joke on launch or will be nerfed within days, gear for LFR doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
97 Undead Priest
My gear no longer matters when there is no more heroic bosses to kill. In this case, I have 6 more this tier personally, and then the next tier to look forward to.

Technically speaking you (and I, and most people here) have more than enough gears to clear 16/16H... The limiting factor at this point is certainly not gears... And yet people still collecting gears as if it's "mandatory"... Why? Because gearing up is a part of character progression... It was a core concept, an addicting crack, in RPG way before WoW, before raid progression, and before MMORPG even existed...

Technically my guild has the gear to clear 16/16H (guilds have cleared it in far less). But in reality given our limited schedule to learn, and our ability, gear is actually mandatory to get our output and survival to the point where we can eventually go 16/16H.

So yes, gear is part of Character progression, but if the only reason you play and MMO is for character progression, you should probably quit. Group Progression >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Character Progression.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/02/2013 12:05 PMPosted by Poena
So yes, gear is part of Character progression, but if the only reason you play and MMO is for character progression, you should probably quit. Group Progression >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Character Progression.

I'd agree that people in a stable raid should value group progression over individual progression. But as OP stated, he doesn't have a raiding guild, so the only progression left for him would be his own character.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

Gear helps toward the goal though. For people only in LFR, they're already clearing the whole thing the instant they walk in. More gear doesn't help them clear more content.

02/02/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Emmey

I'd agree that people in a stable raid should value group progression over individual progression. But as OP stated, he doesn't have a raiding guild, so the only progression left for him would be his own character.

Doesn't mean he should get everything he wants.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/02/2013 12:41 PMPosted by Hyjinx
Gear helps toward the goal though. For people only in LFR, they're already clearing the whole thing the instant they walk in. More gear doesn't help them clear more content.

Raiding guild's goal is to clear contents; but for individuals not in raiding guild, after finishing LFR, their goals may be more about character progression...

My response was for "People don't realize that the only thing gear is good for is a tool to clear content, or to access the next level of content. If you aren't doing either of those, then gear is pointless." This may be true in raiders' view... but OP is not a raider...

Doesn't mean he should get everything he wants.

That part I agree...
Edited by Emmey on 2/2/2013 12:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
20 hours @ 90
Sha touched weapon.
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
02/01/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Isiildur
And no, you'll be able to afk in quest greens next tier and still get loot in LFR.

I'm think there's going to be a whole lot of kicking going on next tier.

I'm thinking I could use a "who to kick" addon to smooth the process. Look for slackers, people who fail at mechanics, people in wrong specs...

(goes to look at curse.com)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
02/03/2013 05:27 AMPosted by Osmeric
I'm think there's going to be a whole lot of kicking going on next tier.

Whoa, aren't you always the guy arguing that the Sarosha's Deserve content of the purple persuasion?
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
02/03/2013 05:30 AMPosted by Asane
Whoa, aren't you always the guy arguing that the Sarosha's Deserve content of the purple persuasion?

I've argued that the average customer has every right to ask for content tuned to their level. But I've also argued that content should be designed so that individuals shoulder more of the consequences of their behavior, rather than pawning it off on the group. Kicking is currently the way that happens, as flawed as that mechanism is. An add-on that emulates a scoring mechanism would be a way to make the kick system work better, with less friction.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
02/01/2013 09:51 PMPosted by Arpandaday
I don't have time or a schedule that allows me to be in a regular raiding guild so yes, I only run LFR.

So your gear doesn't matter.

Gear matters to him and what he does.

So you're wrong!
Reply Quote
20 hours @ 90
Sha touched weapon.

Unusable socket just joined unusable gem taking up my bag space.

I've given up on a Sha weapon this tier and just think of the legendary quests so far as a pre-req to 5.2.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
02/01/2013 09:28 PMPosted by Jerrolyn
don't have time or a schedule that allows me to be in a regular raiding guild so yes, I only run LFR.

You have time to run 5 LFRs, including their que times.
Do Shado-pan dailies to exalted

but not enough time to raid?

Your going about this all wrong.
On a good week I have 6 hours to play, usually I time them around a raid night or find a pug.

So far I've been able to clear MSV start HOF and even take down a heroic boss in less time then it takes to run LFR or do dailies, separately.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

Why do end of expansion Heroic Bosses drop any loot at all then?

The same reason LFR drops upgrades.
Edited by Arayden on 2/3/2013 11:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I've tanked the Sha of fear 19 times(combination of LFR and Normal) and I've probably spent 10 coins. The first time I ever killed the sha in LFR, I got the sha touched 1 handed sword, IN BLOOD SPEC. My last attempt I finally got the normal helm. I still havent seen the ax, which is the only real DK tanking weapon out of any of the 16 bosses.

It sucks not getting loot to drop, but thats just the way it goes. The new LFR system is much better than the old one. Where people just go with large groups, who roll need on everything they can regardless of whether or not they will actually use it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
02/03/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Arayden
People don't realize that the only thing gear is good for is a tool to clear content, or to access the next level of content. If you aren't doing either of those, then gear is pointless

Gear is a tool used to create larger numbers in game. Why someone wants or needs to create those larger numbers is up to them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Sup lfr heroes
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/03/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Arayden

Yea, and guess what, Heroic Deathwing loot meant nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/04/2013 08:41 AMPosted by Hyjinx

Yea, and guess what, Heroic Deathwing loot meant nothing.

Unless you did PVP and wanted one of the weapons.. like heroic Gurth, which someone paid my guild 150k for. Easiest 150k we ever made.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]