Is it possible to quest as Holy?

90 Night Elf Hunter
Hello,
I am starting a Holy Pally, and was wondering if it is possible to quest as Holy. I plan on starting dungeons as soon as I can, in order to learn the healing role, but questing would be a nice diversion. I could go ret for a while, but I would rather start learning to heal ASAP since I have never done it before.

Also, any advice for a new healer? I am hoping that stating that I am new will garner a little understanding from party memebers in LFD, but I am not gonna hold my breath. Any advice you could give me, relevent to a ~lvl 15 or so Holy Pally, or just for healing in general, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
S.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Early on Holy is way better than ret just because you don't have any of your cool ret passives that give you holy power. And once you get denounce it's totally viable, at least until Pandaria, then I'm not sure.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Possible yes. At low levels, it works fairly well since mobs have low hp and you won't ever die. However, once you get to cata and beyond, it takes forever to kill anything, though you still won't die unless you do something monumentally stupid (and even then you may get lucky and survive).

Also, leveling as a healer doesn't really teach to you to heal. Healing five mans is way different than healing raids or battlegrounds. Eventually healing becomes instinctual so it takes practice. As a paladin, healing five mans is rather straight forward. Holy shock on cool down since this is your main holy power builder. Holy light for light damage, flash of light for moments when your target will die in two and a half seconds but will live if you hit him with a second and a half cast otherwise lay on hands there and divine light if speed isn't critical and you need a big heal. You don't get any AoE healing until way later (60s or 70s I think now), so you will be single target bombing for a long time. Once you get beacon, use it on the tank since he is really the only one that takes damage in five mans. However, you can put it on anyone you want. Once you start raiding, you will be moving it around quite a bit. In higher level, dungeons start playing with and learning when to use your cooldowns. You really don't need them in five mans but juggling cool downs is a big part of pally healing. As I said, paladin healing is really straightforward and, in my opinion, probably the easiest healer to start out with (becomes a little more involved in a raid setting).

With all that said, every healer I have (3 paladins, 2 priests, 2 shaman and a monk - still working on that druid) I have done almost all the way through as a healer. I do pick up a dps offspec for them at level 30 because I know I will need it eventually and I do try to maintain a dps set for them once they hit level 80 so I can quest easily when queues are going annoyingly slow or I get a series of bad groups.

Best of luck and have fun with it, paladin is a really fun class to play!!!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks so much for the responses!
Yes, I figured 5 mans would be a lot different, but I figured it would be good practice until I can do LFRs. It should at least get me somewhat familiar with some of the abilities, and give me a chance to test out any add ons I end up getting.

Also, I want to get some heirloom gear for her, but am unsure about which gear to get. I can't wear plate yet, so I am not sure if I should get the mail or plate set. I thought I heard somewhere that the heirloom gear changes as you level, so if I get plate, will it change to mail for my current level and then go back to plate when I am able to wear it?

Thanks again!
S.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Yes, it is possible. Is it extremely slow and boring compared to retribution or protection? Yes, it is.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/03/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Seyana
Also, I want to get some heirloom gear for her, but am unsure about which gear to get. I can't wear plate yet, so I am not sure if I should get the mail or plate set. I thought I heard somewhere that the heirloom gear changes as you level, so if I get plate, will it change to mail for my current level and then go back to plate when I am able to wear it?
This is correct. Plate will scale down to mail until level 40.
Mail would scale down to leather until level 40.
Some heirlooms grant 5 or 10% increase in exp. gain, and some of them keep that gain until level 80, and some keep it until level 85. Something to keep in mind.

As for solo or group PvE-play as a Holy Paladin . . . I leveled from 70ish to 90 as a Shockadin (Holy Paladin glyphed and talented towards maximizing damage output, not healing output).
I wasn't very familiar with the class and playstyle, so it wasn't very fast-going.
In hindsight, I wish I'd gone Retribution for leveling. Whether it would have been better, I don't actually know, because I've stayed with Holy.

That said, being a Shockadin isn't really the best for being a Healer in groups, so until 90 I never went into a dungeon.

So you could do a Holy healing spec, and a Holy damage offspec; or a Holy healing spec and Retribution off-spec, etc. But in my opinion, it's hard to maintain decent gear for two different specs, especially when you're out-leveling gear so often.
The fastest way to level, I think, is to pick one and stick with it.

Whichever way you choose, healing will be a fair challenge. It's difficult when you first start off, and once you get the hang of it, you have to get used to doing a new dungeon, or heroic-level dungeons, or raids, etc.
But that's the same with any class. Takes practice, like everything else in life.
Edited by Outro on 2/3/2013 3:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Great info! Thanks so much! I am not sure how well I will do as a healer, but since alot of other players in my raid group have raiding alts, I figured I would try to help outand get an alt too. With a pally, I could do a tank offspec also, although I think I would fail miserably at tanking lol. But, at least I *could* switch to it if they were really really really desperate. :)

Thanks again!
S.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Vex
It's very easy to quest as holy. I have 2 holy specs and it's all I play. I do dailies at 90 as holy, it just takes a bit more time, but there's no need to go ret or prot to quest. Just change a few glyphs so some of your heals do damage.
Edited by Wyntery on 2/4/2013 4:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's largely a matter of what level you are at. A side effect of healing scaling is that spells like holy shock/glyph of harsh words hit like trucks when used offensively at lower levels. In some cases you will actually do more dps then ret with equivalent gear. This is single target though...You still will have non-existent aoe tools until you pick up your lvl 90 talents.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I quest in Holy without much issue. Only place (at 90) I had problems was the Shado-Pan dailies when I had to kill the 1 elite and his 2 followers at the same time.

The nice part of questing as a Holy is you're near invulnerable (well that's just being a pally). It takes a little longer to kill some things, but not a whole lot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I leveled as holy from 10-89. I mostly healed in dungeons, early on I qued as dps and heals. Once I got dual spec, I had two holy specs. One for dps, one for healing and I switched back and forth. I didn't see any real problems leveling. At 85, I had a 442 mace that helped a lot, but once I got closer to 90, I realized that I was barely getting anywhere anymore.

For 89-90, I went prot and leveled. I'm going to keep it for dailies (aoe's are awesome), and I'm keeping healing for LFR and LFD. May I add that LFR is really easy. Took me less than 6 hours to get LFR ready. With a 450 mace, I was 2nd in heals for most of the fights with 35-40k hps.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks so much for the advice! You have all given me some good ideas!

Thanks again,
S.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello,
I am starting a Holy Pally, and was wondering if it is possible to quest as Holy. I plan on starting dungeons as soon as I can, in order to learn the healing role, but questing would be a nice diversion. I could go ret for a while, but I would rather start learning to heal ASAP since I have never done it before.

Also, any advice for a new healer? I am hoping that stating that I am new will garner a little understanding from party memebers in LFD, but I am not gonna hold my breath. Any advice you could give me, relevent to a ~lvl 15 or so Holy Pally, or just for healing in general, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
S.

I lvl'd 85-90 as shockadin. Took more time and more work but I didnt know how to ret and I only had holy gear so..
Reply Quote
48 Human Paladin
Yes, you can level a holy paladin through normal questing. I have been primarily questing until my current level (47). I can hit pretty hard, but not as hard as ret or prot, so the fights do not go quite as fast. I am starting to notice the difference more and more. I dual spec as ret but carrying an extra set of gear is an unwanted burden, particularly since my goal is to learn the holy spec. I have a 90 ret/prot pal already, so this holy is going to patiently level with more dungeon runs and less normal questing. I will be in no hurry to level, so slower questing is not really an issue for me.
Edited by Corline on 2/5/2013 11:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]