New Computer Help!

90 Gnome Priest
Alright.

I finally got the money for getting a computer and realize that building my own would be for the best.

What I'm looking for is an in between of these two builds(quoted below) that you have, I'd like to only spend $700 on the computer itself and then I also have to get a Monitor so a recommendation would be awesome.

I'm not looking for something that will run around 100 FPS on Ultra or anything since I have very few things on Ultra, but I'd like to be able to go into a Raid or City and not drop below 30FPS.

I'm not sure if there is a big difference in these builds so that's why I'm asking. I'll probably be responding to this post about some of your guys input with some input from a computer savvy friend of mine. I would like to get some information from different sources to get the best possible computer for the right price.

So in Summary:

Computer Build Price of $700 max, I realize Shipping and Handling might cause it to go higher so if the retail price of everything added up is between $650-$700 that would be awesome.

A recommendation for a Monitor that isn't too expensive, so something between maybe $100-$150ish.

An Overall Price of around $900.

Also the Operating System shouldn't be factored into anything since I plan to bully my dad into buying it for me for a late Christmas Present, I hope.

If you wish for more details of any kind I would be happy to provide them.

** Build 1: Tight Budget Build

Warning: Take this build ONLY and ONLY IF you will upgrade the CPU down the road. If not, take the above Trinity build.

CPU: Pentium G850
Motherboard: Any B75 motherboard
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-1600, 1.5v)
Graphics: Radeon HD 7770
Power Supply: ~450W rated 80 Plus Bronze certified power supply
Hard Drive: Cheap 500GB
DVD Drive: Cheap DVD burner
Case: Cheap ATX mid-tower case with at least 2 fans

Example Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uBtN

Estimated cost: ~$435
Estimated FPS in WoW: ~40

** Build 2: Best build for good gaming without spending big $

CPU: AMD FX-6300
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, or EVO, or above if wanted
Motherboard: Any 970 / 990FX motherboard, recommending great OC board
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-1600)
Graphics: Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Power Supply: ~500W rated 80 Plus Bronze certified power supply
SSD: Optional, recommending 120/128GB budget SSDs
Hard Drive: Cheap 1TB drive
DVD Drive: Cheap DVD burner
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer or similar mid-tower case with at least 2 fans

Example Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uC83

Estimated cost: ~$700
+SSD cost if you choose to add an SSD.
Estimated FPS in WoW: ~50+
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
No help?

/sad face

Is there anything on the Build 2 I can downgrade that won't cause major issues, to lower the price some?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BHuf
I5-3330>FX-6300 so you gain some power too!

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
So a friend of mine knows a friend that works at a local computer place that might be able to get me a discount on a few things so I went a little out of my price range but what do you guys think of this compter?

Hard Drive:
Western Digital
Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD1002FAEX - OEM

Memoyr:
Kingston
HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

Power Supply:
Corsair
Gaming Series GS600 2013 Edition 600 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply

Motherboard:
ASUS
P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics Card:
Zotac
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card

CPU:
Intel
Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor

Monitor:
AOC
22" Widescreen LED Monitor OEM

I'm not sure what exactly all this stuff means and it's driving me insane. For a case we were planning to just look around at what they have and choose one, and hopefully keep the range in like $50 for it.

I'm not sure if I want to go with the i7 though, I mean overall he thought it would be better but the price is scaring me lol.

I tried finding these things with PC Particker so I didn't have all these links but I am pretty stupid with this stuff.

Edit: I just want to get different opinions from different experts before I buy something, I like to gather alot of information before buying something like this.
Edited by Haely on 2/6/2013 5:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Bump.

Any piece of advice on the above parts?

Would they still work if I downgrade the processor to the i5 you guys suggested?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Bump.

Any piece of advice on the above parts?

Would they still work if I downgrade the processor to the i5 you guys suggested?

I have: Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

I would say if the i7 is within your budget, take it. But I like my quad core compared to what I used to have.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
02/07/2013 01:36 PMPosted by Feyhawk
I would say if the i7 is within your budget, take it. But I like my quad core compared to what I used to have

The store were going to is selling the i7 for only $220, only limited time but my friends friend says they still have quite a few left. And that seems extremely cheap.

The Video Card, Processor and Motherboard is what I'm most worried about, they seem to be pretty much the central pieces to any computer.

So I have a plan for Processor but just need to make sure about video card and Motherboard that I mentioned are somewhat decent or if I should go with previously mentioned by Chelsi or even Kalganized guide.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Downgrading to an i5 would be just fine. 3570k is ~100 less then a 3770k and unless your running a lot of multi threaded stuff you won't notice the difference.

edit:

If the i7 is that good of a price then go for it.
Edited by Blackgoddess on 2/7/2013 1:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
WD Caviar Black is fairly expensive for no real reason. Unless if it's priced similar to other HDDs, get something else. Although, some people do prefer WD for "reliability".

HyperX is 1.65v AFAIK; that's at the limit of Ivy Bridge spec for RAM voltage. Nothing bad, but I personally prefer 1.5v or less.

600W is overkill for a single GPU build, and that power supply is probably expensive. Just ensure 80 Plus Bronze, ~550W, and you're good to go.

ASUS motherboards are almost always more expensive than competitor's products. Try something else like MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte.

GTX 650 Ti is OK for what it is, but for not much more, you can get significantly better HD 7850. Unless you are getting this GTX 650 Ti for a rock bottom price, consider other options.

I recommend monitor to be 1920x1080 native resolution.

You need a third party CPU cooler like CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ EVO to take full advantage of i7-3770k.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
WD Caviar Black is fairly expensive for no real reason. Unless if it's priced similar to other HDDs, get something else. Although, some people do prefer WD for "reliability".

HyperX is 1.65v AFAIK; that's at the limit of Ivy Bridge spec for RAM voltage. Nothing bad, but I personally prefer 1.5v or less.

600W is overkill for a single GPU build, and that power supply is probably expensive. Just ensure 80 Plus Bronze, ~550W, and you're good to go.

ASUS motherboards are almost always more expensive than competitor's products. Try something else like MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte.

GTX 650 Ti is OK for what it is, but for not much more, you can get significantly better HD 7850. Unless you are getting this GTX 650 Ti for a rock bottom price, consider other options.

I recommend monitor to be 1920x1080 native resolution.

You need a third party CPU cooler like CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ EVO to take full advantage of i7-3770k.

Yea, most of the stuff I said was going to be close to like half off in price at the Store but I just found out the sale ends on the 10th so basically everything I said is going back to regular price which I can't afford.

It's terrible, but I kind of trust you more than my friend.

So now I think I'm gonna go with what Chelsi linked unless you think different?

Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Which parts are you getting for almost half the price, and which are you not? If possible, can you tell me the price?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
02/07/2013 06:44 PMPosted by Kalganized
Which parts are you getting for almost half the price, and which are you not? If possible, can you tell me the price?

Well here a few links, it's not literally half off but some of them are kind of close.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/331606/Caviar_Black_1TB_7,200_RPM_SATA_60Gb-s_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_WD1002FAEX_-_OEM

http://www.microcenter.com/product/406642/Gaming_Series_GS600_2013_Edition_600_Watt_ATX_12V_Power_Supply

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=659565

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=041608

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

Edit: I am always a little leery about ordering stuff online but right now it's looking like the best option. I can't get up to the Store till like the 15th. I should of just gone with your guys choices to begin with and not involved my friend besides to build it.
Edited by Haely on 2/7/2013 6:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
kalganized is really good at hardware, just an fyi
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I assume you are getting an additional discount on top of the price listed on the website. If so, they are all an excellent deal, and they are all a decent part (except maybe Zotac, depending on who you ask).

However, if that price on the website is what you are going to pay, all of them are a decent deal EXCEPT the power supply.
Edited by Kalganized on 2/7/2013 6:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I assume you are getting an additional discount on top of the price listed on the website. If so, they are all an excellent deal, and they are all a decent part (except maybe Zotac, depending on who you ask).

However, if that price on the website is what you are going to pay, all of them are a decent deal EXCEPT the power supply.

Like I said it's basically moot now because according to the ad:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/cd7fad6e#/cd7fad6e/1

the sale ends 2-10-13, which is in 2 days and I can't get up to the city till the 15th.

I feel dumb for not noticing this, I guess I could order the stuff online and just pick it up, but then I won't get an additional discount.
Edited by Haely on 2/7/2013 6:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C8Pn

Say I want to go with this basic build, but rather have an Intel CPU what would you recommend? It's basically your Build 2 just added a Monitor that I thought was good.

Would you need to change the Case and Motherboard? Could it potentially cost less?

When Skyrim online comes out I have thought about playing it so would that build be good for playing it?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Intel build? i5-3470 with B75 motherboard. i3 is not that good anymore tbh
Won't need a CPU cooler with i5-3470, which saves you ~$25

Motherboard needs to be changed if going with Intel CPU. B75 mobos can be found at around $65ish.

Case is up to you.

It should be OK, but don't expect ultra settings uber FPS
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Intel build? i5-3470 with B75 motherboard. i3 is not that good anymore tbh
Won't need a CPU cooler with i5-3470, which saves you ~$25

Motherboard needs to be changed if going with Intel CPU. B75 mobos can be found at around $65ish.

Case is up to you.

It should be OK, but don't expect ultra settings uber FPS

I was just curious, thank you for answering.

I'll probably just go with build 2. I was trying to figure if there was a way to make it cheaper without changing much, what your opinion on the build that Chelsi linked?

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]