Curious about monk benefits to raid.

100 Human Warlock
Heya guys, so I recently leveled a monk to 90 and getting her geared for raiding with my guild and I've been wondering, what do monks bring to a raid over warlocks? Reason I ask is mostly since I'm the main warlock of our guild and usually the one able to attend most raids, so when I start using my monk more often, we most likely wont have access to a lock in raids.

So... yeah, rambling over, what advantages do monks bring that locks don't? ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
We provide a 5% stats buff and 5% crit buff inherently (WW).

Instead of healthstones, we have a raid CD (Zen meditation) which is wonderful for soaking large hits. Of course, we don't have the raid mobility of demonic gateway, but personal mobility is much better.

We also have a heck lot of personal survivability which indirectly leads to savings on healers' mana (Expel harm, Fort Brew, Diffuse magic/Dampen harm, Chi wave, Touch of Karma).

Raid's gonna miss the cookies and gateway though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Well for the cookies, we came up with an idea of having my lock stay just outside the entrance so we can grab them if we need a new one. While perhaps a bit inconvenient, it still let's us have the cookies. As far as portal, there has only been 1 fight so far where we've made any real use of it as most of the time my team mates just avoid it anyway.

As for Zen Meditation, could you give some examples of raid bosses and how it's best used? I don't really pay much attention beyond what I have to dodge and what I have to run to so I can't personally think of a situation off the top of my head on how it would be used. :(
Reply Quote
BM brings a ton, WW brings smiles and hugs. We own smiles and hugs! MW are so op they make every other healing class not needed...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Zen Meditation
Channeled 3 min cooldown
Requires Monk
Requires level 82
Reduces all damage taken by 90% and redirects to you up to 5 harmful spells cast against party and raid members within 30 yards. Lasts 8 sec.

Being the victim of a melee attack will break your meditation, cancelling the effect.

Note that it redirects ALL damage taken by raid members. This means that you can basically call for a (closer) stack, on a huge AoE. This effectively means that 10 people's raid damage is directed to you, which is reduced by 90% so you basically take only normal damage. on 25m you will want to call for HoS + Pain Supp as the damage taken will kill you, though.

Examples of stuff you can use it on:

1) Stone Guard: If you screw up badly and trigger the wrong explosion
2) Elegon: Total Annihilation (yay)

I personally haven't been trying it out due to laziness, but this is an incredibly powerful raid tool which you can mitigate even further with Disperse Magic.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1251542-T14-Zen-Meditation-uses provides a discussion on this matter. For lazy people like me you can basically just use it as a 90% dmg reduction for 1 hit (lol)
Edited by Eshee on 2/5/2013 10:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
i was under the impression that zen medi only redirects single target, magic spell effects. Not raid wide spell effects?
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Heya guys, so I recently leveled a monk to 90 and getting her geared for raiding with my guild and I've been wondering, what do monks bring to a raid over warlocks? Reason I ask is mostly since I'm the main warlock of our guild and usually the one able to attend most raids, so when I start using my monk more often, we most likely wont have access to a lock in raids.

So... yeah, rambling over, what advantages do monks bring that locks don't? ^_^

Depends on what type of Monk you are.

Brewmaster: Statue of the Ox makes the Tank somewhat like a Disc Priest, spamming bubbles onto the raid. Really helps sustain the damage going out.

Windwalker: umm... 5% crit?

Mistweaver: Zen Meditation, huge AoE heals if you time Renewing Mist & Thunder Focus Tea, Alright DPs whilst healing comparable to other healing classes (can't make that timer?), AoE Oh !@#$ Button (Revival-- my favorite in BG's), Life Cocoon for tank healing & Trasncendence to act like a wanabee Warlock.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
people tend to hate on WW's raid utility, but besides for our personal survivability we also bring 2 aoe stuns that can help a lot in certain encounters.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
There is no reason to bring a ww monk over a warlock to a raid save you don't have a mage for crit buff. Our damage is weaker we are the ever hated melee and zen med is a joke 99% of the time.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
If you're talking about 10man raiding then it's purely subjective based on your existing raid comp. 10man raids usually fill the group based on making sure they get all the raid buffs (Bloodlust, Spell Power, Sunder, 5% Crit, 5% stats).

Windwalkers do not bring any major utility like raid CDs, only minor utility like stuns and soaking.

If you have all the raid buffs covered and are just choosing a person to fulfill the role of a DPS then between a Warlock and a Windwalker of equal skill you would usually take the Warlock. Their DPS is higher right now, and they are ranged DPS which are superior to melee on most fights.

If you're comparing a Warlock to a Windwalker not of equal skill then you would just take the better player of the two.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]