Elemental shaman are weak in PvP.

100 Dwarf Shaman
02/13/2013 02:57 PMPosted by Needcpr
Warlocks lose all abilities except pets while silenced. Of course, elemental shaman have pets too.

Cant drop totems when silenced. Priest have Dispersion and yes can do while silenced stun ect.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Warlocks lose all abilities except pets while silenced. Of course, elemental shaman have pets too.

Cant drop totems when silenced. Priest have Dispersion and yes can do while silenced stun ect.

Yes, but you can still use pet abilities from totems you dropped earlier. Warlocks can't summon pets while silenced either. Heck, GoSac Warlocks don't even GET pets.

I don't know about yours, but my Disc Priest doesn't have dispersion.

If you're talking about the entire CLASS losing all abilities while silenced, you're flat wrong. If you're talking just elemental, there's other specs out there that lose everything while silenced too.
Edited by Needcpr on 2/13/2013 3:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
If we're talking specs losing all abilities, my Resto Shaman can't do jack while silenced either.

I definitely don't feel underpowered as Resto by any stretch of the imagination.

So no, elemental is not the only spec that loses everything under silence.

Silence also removes most of your abilties as a DK....trying to think what I can still use as a DK while silenced. Hmm...
Edited by Needcpr on 2/13/2013 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
02/13/2013 02:57 PMPosted by Needcpr
Try an ARCANE mage in PvP. Not frost, not fire. See how well the mage toolkit works for you as arcane. Have you tried it? I have.

Actually I had a lvl 60 Arcane mage. Deleted it along with my hunter because I hate the way they made them. My point was no matter how you cut it EVEN Arcane has a Better chance of survival than Elem shaman.

I know where most people are coming from "But Shamans have shields and Mail armor". Armor in PvP means NOTHING anymore. I mean what ranged class spell DONT ignore armor? and Majority of melee attacks Reduce armor to near nothing or they do thier dmg as Magic(Holy,Nature,Fire,Ect.). Pure Physical attacks are still there dont get me wrong but there are few and Majority of Melee these days are DKs,Warriors,Monks(physical that reduces armor or Does pure magic dmg.) and the rest are ranged and thier main attacks can cut through Armor like butrter(ignore Armor).

I would trade my shield and Mail in a SEC for a Temporary invulnerable spell(Ice block,Pally shield,Dispersion,Dark Bargain,Mage shieldDivin shield) anything really

Hell i would even take it if our Hex had the same Break value as a fear and can be cast as often but we dont.

Played Elem shaman for along time now and will say this Most of the post about us being OP are when we are in back allowed to free cast. When one Decent Played is on us we cant do Anything against all the instant abilities while we are getting pressure trying to hard cast. Thats my problem we are very Vulnerable compared to other classes.

Hunters were hardcasters - Now they are not
Mages were Hardcasters - Now they are not
Priest were Hardcasters -No they are not
Warlocks were hardcasters- now they are not
Druids were hard casters - Now they are not
Elem Shamans are still hardcasters

All these classes have the option to move while casting and keep up DPS.
Elem shaman can not.

yes you have a few Hardcast abilities but you have MANY you can spam instant

Shamans only have one instant and its our shocks and they are all on same CD.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
02/13/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Needcpr
Yes, but you can still use pet abilities from totems you dropped earlier

Only tier 90 talent allows you to do this and totmes are on 5min CD cant use them all the time.So unless your lucky to have it out no you cant use it while silenced.

Warlocks can't summon pets while silenced either. Heck, GoSac Warlocks don't even GET pets.

Locks can use Dark bargain and Demonic rebirth while silenced. And your not gonna catch most locks without a pet out if you do LUCKy. as for Grimsac Dark bargain and Demonic rebirth .

If you're talking about the entire CLASS losing all abilities while silenced, you're flat wrong. If you're talking just elemental, there's other specs out there that lose everything while silenced too.

Thats why I said
02/13/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Gaijinbo
Name one Class that gets ALL thier abilities locked out from a silence. Thats right you cant except Elem Shaman.

02/13/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Needcpr
If we're talking specs losing all abilities, my Resto Shaman can't do jack while silenced either.

Again its a shaman but unlike Elem you can be back to full health in a few secs even at 10%. Elem just die

02/13/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Needcpr
Silence also removes most of your abilties as a DK....trying to think what I can still use as a DK while silenced. Hmm...

Blood Strike,Death Strike,Plague Strike,Obliterate,Festering Strike,Heart Strike
Edited by Gaijinbo on 2/13/2013 3:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Every single spec MUST be viable in PvP.
Reply Quote
Shamans are fine.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Priest
02/05/2013 11:30 PMPosted by Knowyarights
And this is a problem, why..? I've never understood why it's assumed that every single spec MUST be viable in PvP. That assumption throws a spanner in the works of class balance between PvE and PvP. I'd rather they didn't tinker with us until elemental is changed so drastically that it's barely recognizable (ie, the upcoming arms warrior changes). Elemental shaman can dish out very strong single-target and cleave-ish AoE dps in PvE (parsed 99k tonight on H Garajjal in 494 gear, no complaints about that), and that's without even mentioning the various raid buffs and utility we bring to the party. I see nothing wrong with the idea that some specs should be tuned more for PvE, and some tuned for PvP.

Why is it fair that some specs get to be good in both PvP and PvE?
Why have so many specs in the first place if so many of them are going to be broken in one half of the game?
What is the point of having a spec at all if it's good nowhere?

As a player who plays both sides of the game, I want every spec to be viable in both PvP (useable in a 2700+ rated comp in the hands of a world class player) and PvE (you don't get sat for heroic progression raids). I imagine you would take back your statement if your favorite spec was being sat for raids.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warrior
This is a philosophical argument that translates into style more than anything. Elemental shamans nuke, so do mages, and boomkins, and destruction warlocks. So even play style isn't so much the issue as the aesthetics of the class and spec. Some people like the archetype that it represents, others merely the dynamic of the brand of spells they carry. It's certainly wrong to expect average people to stop thinking in terms of class and spec biases and instead choose nothing but the best representative of a certain subrole. Only the most competitive raid/arena/rated teams are going to be committed enough to consider this worthwhile. Putting things into perspective, while the game certainly has elements for hardcore players, it has over the years overwhelmingly catered more to casual players. This is why the logistical freedom to choose, not only one's role, but also the aesthetic dynamic their subrole represents while feeling like they can excel with the right time and effort invested into focused means of progression is so important.

We play MMORPGs for two reasons, the first is to experience a social setting of varying degrees. The second is to express ourselves the way we want to within a constant, interactable, exploratory world. I find I must compare this latter aspect to that of the Pokemon games, which have achieved a winning formula. The world interacts with you, has many paths to explore, and ways to play. But the most prominant feature is to excel at the main function of the game, battling, with nearly any combination of roles and archetypes (various Pokemon) one wishes. The trainer invests time into strengthing their Pokemon, as well as learning counters and defenses to moves. They learn which moves work best on their various Pokemon and create a specialized team. There are Pokemon that are stronger than others, but overall, the game allows you to excel by expressing your prowess in any way one choose. I once watched a guy take down an entire team of Legendary Pokemon with a Magikarp. Why can't an elemental shaman, with enough skill and gear excel? Blizzard has failed to achieve this balance.

Class blanace in WoW is achieved through a see saw. The game's systems change nearly every expansion, and each class has one or more designers assigned to find interesting ways to achieve their role while maintaining balance. We might say that the shaman designer(s) have done the best job, and every other designer is able to get away with more or lesser degrees of dominance in certain areas to keep the overall machine running smoothly. Except that when one aspect of the game is flawed, that alienates an entire demographi of people who prefer that aspect over the rest.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
02/13/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Gaijinbo
Try an ARCANE mage in PvP. Not frost, not fire. See how well the mage toolkit works for you as arcane. Have you tried it? I have.

The difference is that with a mage, even if arcane isn't viable for PVP, the alternative specs still allow for a similar play style, i.e. you still can stand back and pew pew, just using different spells.

With shaman, if elemental isn't viable, we have the option of changing to a melee or a healer. That's not the same trade off.

Edit: sorry, re-quoted this from different poster
Edited by Sevaana on 2/18/2013 10:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/05/2013 11:30 PMPosted by Knowyarights
And this is a problem, why..?

To me it is a problem because I fell in love with playing elemental in pvp when elemental was great at pvp (many years ago) and it now pains me to have lost that greatness. More specifically, all shaman were once very durable in pvp because of mail armor, self healing, and relatively high base hp. Mail means nothing now, a shield means almost as little unless you are a tank, self healing is very weak and often not worth the mana, our base HP is now among the lowest.

Yea people can still be cool at ele in pvp, i still rock pretty hard when I do bother to participate but there are situations where I know there is nothing I could have done better to acheive success and i beleive that it is because elemental is not one of the "OP" specs.

02/13/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Gaijinbo
I would trade my shield and Mail in a SEC for a Temporary invulnerable spell(Ice block,Pally shield,Dispersion,Dark Bargain,Mage shieldDivin shield) anything really

Funny thing is that in WCIII the shadow hunter, which is where a number of shaman abilities came from, had a mass invulnerability cd that made everybody but the shadowhunter immune to damage. I was really confused after seeing how hunters, mages, rogues, dk's, and Spriests all had their own versions of temporary immunity but shaman still do not.
Edited by Goblite on 2/19/2013 11:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

I definitely don't feel underpowered as Resto by any stretch of the imagination.

So no, elemental is not the only spec that loses everything under silence.

1500 players please refrain yourselves from pretending to know what you're talking about when it comes to pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
old thread but im forced to agree with it, ele is FUN to play but it needs some more fine tuneing it just is not up to anyware near par for pvp and when were not doing the elemental god thing our burst is rather meh.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Why is there so many Ele shamans rolling with Echo of Element? I've been reading shamans thread for awhile and feels like 80% of the shamans are using it.. I believe it's a talent made for those who aren't comfortable with the 2 others and/or are too lazy pressing another key. For exemple, I use it in my resto spec because I SUCK at resto and don't know where I'd assign the others, but I roll with Ele mastery for Ele spec.
Reply Quote
Why is there so many Ele shamans rolling with Echo of Element? I've been reading shamans thread for awhile and feels like 80% of the shamans are using it.. I believe it's a talent made for those who aren't comfortable with the 2 others and/or are too lazy pressing another key. For exemple, I use it in my resto spec because I SUCK at resto and don't know where I'd assign the others, but I roll with Ele mastery for Ele spec.

I spec echo for three reasons;

1. Elemental Mastery is great to use by itself, but as part of my burst macro with berserking and lifeblood (herbalist skill), I actually hit the GCD because I was casting too fast. Also, any good arena team will CC you during any burst CDs.

2. Nature's...ahem.. Ancestral Swiftness is kind of "meh" for ele.. I can get off an instant hex, but if I plan slightly better I can get off a hex without it just fine. Instant elemental blast? Not that worthwhile, actually.

3. With only a 6% proc, echo seems like a bad decision... but it's capable of hitting our mastery as well, as 50% mastery (easy to get these days), that's a 6% chance of an extra full damage spell and a 3% chance of another 75%. In other words, that elemental blast just hit for 275% damage in one GCD on RNG, and then it has a chance to crit. It's like winning the lottery 5 times per arena match.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]