Elegon Help

90 Blood Elf Priest
02/07/2013 04:44 AMPosted by Flintte
Protector's gotta be killed outside of the ring, and no one can be standing on the platform when he detonates (except the tank, who can survive via cooldowns).

Yeah, I don't agree with that either. You need to reset your stacks, yeah. But when I did a really heavy melee comp one week*, we only had the melee that were on the protector reset stacks. I just Barrier'd and we Devo Aura'd the melee so they could stay in with 9 stacks. They took it up to 15 and reset at the 2nd protector.

Really, if it explodes and you have a 5% or even 10% increased damage, it isn't the end of the world.

*It was a crazy comp that week:
2 Tanks, 2 Healers
Feral Druid
Enhance Shaman
Frost DK
Ret Pally
Fury Warrior
Windwalker Monk

These fights really aren't great for all Melee Comps, but we actually had a slew of buffs for once!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
There's no reason not to reset it though. Assuming you are doing an appropriate amount of Energy Charge phases, you will not hit the enrage, so dropping your stacks can only benefit your healers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/07/2013 01:09 PMPosted by Mahourai
There's no reason not to reset it though. Assuming you are doing an appropriate amount of Energy Charge phases, you will not hit the enrage, so dropping your stacks can only benefit your healers.

it's just that for melee, moving is a dps loss... when you need to push Elegon, if you have your 6 Melee DPS switch to the protector and reset their stacks, that means Elegon is not going to push the phase and you'll get more protectors spawning... and then run into a berzerk timer. It did make Sparks a little easier, since Melee Classes seem to have some good burst.

But yeah, resetting your stacks and letting your 6 Melee DPS get back on Elegon and take an explosion with some stacks is better than sitting outside the Ring doing 0 DPS to Elegon waiting for the Protector to explode so they have 0 stacks.
Edited by Feythylan on 2/7/2013 1:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Elegon reminds me a bit of Ultraxxion and people thinking "ZOMG we're dying we need more healing!"

In both cases that a bit of a fallacy. You need a enough dps to make the hard to heal parts (anything after 5 minutes in ultraxxion and the radiating energy phase of elegon) short enough so that your healers don't go all backwards cow.

If you're having trouble 2 healing elegon it's possible that your healers aren't very good, but more likely it's people not resetting their stacks of the buff (ideally after every protector and set of adds in phase 2), people killing the protector before you can drag it off to the side, or tanks not using cds efficiently and getting themselves eaten.

But without logs it's tough to say exactly what your problem is. Then again, I like logs. I think I might be part beaver.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
We did three heal once on an alt run... I think... due to "three healers without any dps spec". We had two discipline priests and a resto druid (I think druid for third). We put both discipline priests on an orb together. This might be a very special case though since two discipline priests can equal a dps on this fight while healing (atonement = win, here).

We do two heal the fight normally though. From experience, healing the orb phase is much easier as a priest than as a monk. The last phase is just a big "kill it before the healer enrage". A few raid wide cooldowns in the last phase are really key.

Atonement and eminence both improve as the fight goes on with the stacking buff from the orbs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
"Well you're a monk, technically if you fistweave you will heal a ton on that fight due to the damage buff, while doing a fair amount of dps."

Our other healer is a monk so having two monk seems silly. Though I might try eminence dpsing/healing. Never thought of that.

We're mainly dying due to tanks dying after the add casts his explosion and dies. Does that make any sense? Otherwise it's just mechanics fail and that's understandably not the healers' faults.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies! :D
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Feythylan
Protector's gotta be killed outside of the ring, and no one can be standing on the platform when he detonates (except the tank, who can survive via cooldowns).

Yeah, I don't agree with that either. You need to reset your stacks, yeah. But when I did a really heavy melee comp one week*, we only had the melee that were on the protector reset stacks. I just Barrier'd and we Devo Aura'd the melee so they could stay in with 9 stacks. They took it up to 15 and reset at the 2nd protector.

Really, if it explodes and you have a 5% or even 10% increased damage, it isn't the end of the world.

*It was a crazy comp that week:
2 Tanks, 2 Healers
Feral Druid
Enhance Shaman
Frost DK
Ret Pally
Fury Warrior
Windwalker Monk

These fights really aren't great for all Melee Comps, but we actually had a slew of buffs for once!

Eh, I guess I like to play it safe, but you're right, you don't have to totally evacuate the platforms during a detonation. The more important part is that the protector doesnt detonate while still on the platform.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/07/2013 05:35 PMPosted by Jellypanda
We're mainly dying due to tanks dying after the add casts his explosion and dies. Does that make any sense?

That's when you should be using cooldowns, both personal and raid.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
"Well you're a monk, technically if you fistweave you will heal a ton on that fight due to the damage buff, while doing a fair amount of dps."

Our other healer is a monk so having two monk seems silly. Though I might try eminence dpsing/healing. Never thought of that.

We're mainly dying due to tanks dying after the add casts his explosion and dies. Does that make any sense? Otherwise it's just mechanics fail and that's understandably not the healers' faults.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies! :D

We had a similar issue the first few attempts. Make sure you and your co-healer organize who is keeping the tank alive through that phase. There is plenty of time to heal everyone else back up after an add explosion so one of you should be pretty much full time on the tank. Also, it could just be an issue with the dps being too slow on the protector and the tank's stacks getting too high for a breath+explosion combo.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well, we finally got him down with all of your help, thank you so much. :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/07/2013 05:35 PMPosted by Jellypanda

AH! Yes, I've had to deal with this. It's about the Tank swap. Keep in mind Elegon has to be tanked or he does he ability that draws everyone in. So the Tank can't reset his stacks unless the other tank has Elegon. It's important for the Tanks to swap so that the breath doesn't hit a tank with high Stacks.

Once the Protector is dragged out of the ring and begins exploding, the Protector Tank has to run and pick up Elegon. (Making sure to never point the dragon at the raid.) Then the Tank who has Elegon can reset their stacks and get ready to pick up the next Protector. The Protector needs to be downed fast enough for the Tank swap to happen before the next breath. If not, your first tank may take a breath at 18 stacks. They gotta get some big heals / absorbs or use a Tank cool down to be able to survive that. 15+ Stacks + Explosion = Dead Tank.

If you've got a Melee Heavy Comp, drag the protector into the Melee so they can cleave it, and then at 50% drag it out towards the edge of the ring. Or if you have some really good raid cool downs and stronger healing, just bring it into the center, down it, and let it explode in the raid.

If the Protector spawns on the far side of the room, make your ranged get off their "uber spot where I can just jump to reset my stacks" and move in. They need to get their DPS up, and when they reset their stacks they can get on the sweet spot again.

Elegon just has so many little mechanics that can go wrong... so generally it's mechanics.
Edited by Feythylan on 2/10/2013 3:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
"

Cooldowns help here. We have a DK use his anti-magic zone on the tank on Elegon to absorb both the Protector's explosion and Elegon's breath weapon. The tank could also pop a cooldown (Divine Protection if a pally, Fortifying Brew if a monk, Shield Wall or Rallying Cry if a warrior, Barkskin or Survival Instincts if a druid, Anti-Magic Shell if a dk). As soon as the off-tank is free from the protector he grabs the boss so that the main tank can reset his stacks.

Healers can use a cooldown to help mitigate the damage for the tank as well (Ironbark for resto druid, Life Cocoon for a mistweaver monk, Hand of Sacrifice or Devotion Aura for holy pally, Guardian Spirit for holy priest, Power Word: Barrier or Pain Suppression for a disc priest, Ironbark for a resto druid).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Best solution is to get a Discipline Priest with lots of haste + crit gear as a DPS/Healer combo. The increased damage done and healing received by the raid makes Atonement a powerhouse ability. You get increased damage done with things like Smite and Penance, and then you get increased healing received when Atonement heals.

If you are having trouble on Elegon, that is what I would advise. That way, you don't sacrifice but just a little bit of DPS for a 3rd healer.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Scroll up everyone, the OP's raid group got Elegon down three days ago.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/13/2013 09:22 AMPosted by Taymage
Scroll up everyone, the OP's raid group got Elegon down three days ago.

Doesn't mean other groups stuck on Elegon aren't having a similar problem. Forum Posts are not about one particular person or guild that needs help. If people keep posting suggestions and strategies on here, then if somebody in 2 weeks stumbles across this thread in a forum search, then they already have a lot of suggestions at their fingertips, without having to create another thread and wait for the answers to come trickling in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]