How would this computer run?

82 Blood Elf Paladin
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229390
How well would this set up run WoW, and possibly other games (specifically Skyrim, D3)?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Really hard to get an exact answer to how well it will run (instead of the typical response that it meets the minimum or recommended requirements) but I have to say this is the best "low-budget" gaming PC I have seen... worse case scenario is that you have to replace the graphics card and/or the PSU but it should be fine... there is a concern with pre-built PCs as they don't really specify the PSU wattage/voltage as some pre-built systems that have a decent graphics card are actually underclock (I hope that's the right term)

Also newegg.com is the best :)

Give me a Dxdiag report of the current system you have so I can compare if it is indeed worth the upgrade...

I also like you to check out this website http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html very helpful to find out where each graphics card stands at based on the reference list (also I would like to mention that some manufacturers may potentially overclock or under-clock the graphics card so you really have to compare)
Edited by Vyndeleron on 2/3/2013 11:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
Well the processor is underpowered. The graphics card is Decent. I would shy away from the FX 4100 Bulldozer they are very under powered. The very minium you would want is a FX 4300. This would be better and a 6300 would be even better . Then the one you selected and is only about 70 more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229361
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
Some quick basics about my current computer is that it's a very non gaming oriented laptop, right down to its Intel HD Graphics. It can run WoW at low settings decently and that's about it, so just about anything is an upgrade. But it was given to me because the original owner thought it was "broken", so I can't complain.

However, I have a budget of about $700 (give or take) for a rig, and I'd just like to find something that will be able to handle WoW Med-High settings respectably. As far as upgrading goes, I'm not going to be too concerned with that until later in '13, just looking for something that will let me play WoW and a few other games here and there without much issue.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Well the processor is underpowered. The graphics card is Decent. I would shy away from the FX 4100 Bulldozer they are very under powered. The very minium you would want is a FX 4300. This would be better and a 6300 would be even better . Then the one you selected and is only about 70 more

I don't think the processor is underpowered but it's obvious that there is always an upgrade to hardware but saying a 4-core clocked a 3.6 ghz is horrible is kinda confusing me....

obviously this person is on a budget and your link to another system that contains a 8 core clocked at 3.1 ghz but of course you could potentially overclock it but it could be risky.... I say only overclock cpus when having some type of liquid cooling system rather than a standard fan cooler... also I don't really see video games using more than 4 cores so really I don't think you will get extra performance out of the 8 cores core heck just look up each of the cores mention at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php (have to search for it/ use Ctrl + F)

Heck that FX-4100 specs is better than my AMD Phenom II x4 clocked at 3.0 GHz

I do believe the system Northernlite has link to is better but the CPU concerns me as it actually is considered lower performance than the FX-4100 system the OP has linked to
Edited by Vyndeleron on 2/4/2013 12:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage

I don't think the processor is underpowered but it's obvious that there is always an upgrade to hardware but saying a 4-core clocked a 3.6 ghz is horrible is kinda confusing me....

obviously this person is on a budget and your link to another system that contains a 8 core clocked at 3.1 ghz but of course you could potentially overclock it but it could be risky.... I say only overclock cpus when having some type of liquid cooling system rather than a standard fan cooler... also I don't really see video games using more than 4 cores so really I don't think you will get extra performance out of the 8 cores core heck just look up each of the cores mention at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php (have to search for it/ use Ctrl + F)

Heck that FX-4100 specs is better than my AMD Phenom II x4 clocked at 3.0 GHz

I do believe the system Northernlite has link to is better but the CPU concerns me as it actually is considered lower performance than the FX-4100 system the OP has linked to

For gaming its not the AMD Phenom II x4 clocked at 3.0 GHz will out preform the 4100 in single and 2 thread applications IE gaming. With the release of the vishira cores companies are tring to unload all the old bulldozers... The FX 4100 is a 2 module 4 core processor. Each core is contained in a module and 2 cores share resources.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
So.. Will either of those computers listed previously be able to run Medium or High graphics relatively well? :p
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
02/04/2013 12:43 AMPosted by Caíaphas
So.. Will either of those computers listed previously be able to run Medium or High graphics relatively well? :p

I believe you will get decent fps (well above 30 fps) with the Medium pre-set and might have to try out the High option then customize the graphic options...

Just start out with the lowest option then work your way up till you experience stuttering/low fps then revert back to previous pre-set graphics option and try to customize the graphics options as not all have significant performance impacts which I think Shadow Quality and Land Distance are the ones...

Every PC gamer must know that fps always varies depending on what's going on like if you're in a major city with 100+ players in one spot then even the "mightiest" gaming systems will get a huge drop in fps...
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
This one would give you the medium to high settings

With the FX 4100 you could run into issues were the processor does not have enough power.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, shadow quality is almost always low for me regardless of how powerful the computer is because it doesn't really add much eye candy for the hit you take in the frames. I'm just looking to run smoothly in 25 man settings with some of the graphics turned up towards high so the things I shouldn't stand in pop nice and clearly and so I don't have to worry about stuttering frames during a "run from literally everything" phase. Not looking to run WoW at all ultra, just make it look a little nicer and run smoothly in the process :p
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
I know the graphics option shows a recommended pre-set option but it seems it may only or is mainly based on the graphics card like when I had my GTX 460 the recommended setting is "Medium" but with the new one (GTX 680) it is not recommended to set it to "Ultra" but with the processor I previous stated is the one I got and I have no issues with it as I stay at or very close to 60 fps majority of the time....

I do think Northernlite is referring to bottlenecking which I don't really understand... I mean people who are REALLY tech-savy will say I will have this issue with my GTX 680 with the cpu being AMD Phenom II x4 clock at 3.0 ghz but nope no heating issues... no big performance drop.... getting 60 fps or very close to it but of course if it's like something massive is going on then obvious no matter if you end up having the best cpu/gpu out there will get huge fps drops....

Played Wow, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed 3, Borderlands 2 at max setting (just to name a few) with no problems whatsoever but some pc gamers are very picky with fps (like those who prefer 100+ fps and if it is lower than that then it is unplayable)... I just stick with if it's at the standard playable fps which is 30 fps then it is fine with me...

I'm quite into computer hardware and like to help out those looking for upgrades and such but it seems there's more about CPUs that I don't know/understand about since they do seem to be harder to compare than graphics card...
Edited by Vyndeleron on 2/4/2013 1:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
A phem II is a true 4 core processor a FX 4100 is in reality a 2 module 4 core processor

The bulldozers pair 2 cores together in a module. Maybe this will exspain it better

Regardless of whether you're looking at a Bulldozer- or Piledriver-based chip, though, All FX CPUs are manufactured at 32 nm. They all drop into the Socket AM3+ interface. And they all include between 4 and 8 MB of shared L3 cache.

Naming of the older FX processors is pretty straightforward: FX-41xx comes with two active modules, totaling four integer cores; FX-61xx-series chips employ three modules, comprised of six integer cores; and the FX-81xx family features four modules, for eight integer cores. Piledriver updates these to FX-43xx, FX-63xx, and FX-83xx.

Notice the distinction between modules and cores. Bulldozer is different from more traditional designs in that it only duplicates resources where necessary. So, one module has two integer clusters, but shares a floating-point unit, decoder, and L2 cache. The idea is to balance complexity and performance, achieving better parallelism at any given power level or transistor count.
Edited by Northernlite on 2/4/2013 1:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
the fx4100 will be fine. I used a 4100 which is a dual module quad core (same as intel core 2 quad) for tom's benchmarks which I had overclocked 6.6ghz stable. It beat every 12 core benchmark on the planet by a landslide. This cpu is amazing clocker and would toy with any process with easy. If you toy and tweak with it. It can and will clock higher if you liquid cool it.

Overclocked Amd Fx-4100 41,941
Intel Xeon E5-2690 benchmarked at 15,191
Intel Core i7 X 995 10,374
Unclocked Amd Fx-4100 4,045

Right now if you are into overclocking. You will not beat the current amd chips.

phenom II was ok.. It lacked bus speed process, it's not amazing in clocking. It will overheat and die fairly fast if pushed to much. Stock, it's a very good chip however.

Otherwise northernlite is right, he's usually accurate.
Edited by Druenny on 2/4/2013 6:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The OP's system is on the low end of the mid range computers. It will play the games he wants decently but don't expect amazing performance from that system.
Edited by Discobob on 2/4/2013 9:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
I would say out of what he wants to play. Skyrim and D3 it will be fine, but wow will struggle some. Skyrim doesn't seem all that power consuming. That game will still play pretty good on a 8800gt. 8800gt would play wow as well. But probably fair or good. Wow just seem more consuming than many other games right now. You can have a smoking machine and still get poor performance. You could have a pile of junk and plays it good. Almost seems chipset related.

Person should go through all these threads and write down the chipset motherboards, what not to buy. I've seen both good and bad amd intel boards. It's crazy.

I think you could have a processor like a 965 on one motherboard, and regardless what video card used. It will play all around good on everything with no hiccups. 965 processor in another motherboard and it lags, hiccups, crashes, 10 fps. LOL That does seem what it's like.
Edited by Druenny on 2/4/2013 11:00 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]