What should I upgrade?

I'm working with an older PC that I built about 4 years ago. Now, for the most part I haven't had many issues running any games, but I think my FPS performance might be hurting my raid dps, so I want to see if an upgrade will help.

I can't afford to upgrade the entire machine at the moment, but I'm curious what my best bet is going to be. Here are the current specs:

Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
4.00 GB RAM (Don't recall speed)
GeForce GTX 260 2668 MB
MSI MoBo Model #MS-7529
Windows 7 64-bit

Now a few notes:
- The GTX 260 is the second release with 216 stream processors
- The MoBo is 775 Socket with PCI-e 1.0a interface (although I've heard cards like the 650ti perform just as well in a 1.0 slot.
- Replacing the motherboard is not really an option at the moment, as it would require replacement of the processor as well at the very least.

I believe my best bet is to purchase a GTX 650 or 650 ti card, but I'm not sure if I'm getting a greater bottleneck from my processor than my card at the moment, and I would hate to spend the money and see no improvement.
Reply Quote
58 Human Death Knight
i too had this dilemma recently. i was running:
amd phenom iix4 955 black 3.2ghz
4 gigs of ram (win 7 32bit)
and an ati 5770

wow doesn't utilize multi core, so getting a new processor won't help that much. the e8400 is a fine processor that will still run almost anything you need unless you get into video editing, ghaphics editing, rendering....

i agree that upgrading your vid card is the easiest and most beneficial fix. the 650ti/gtx650 are good cards with a good money/performance ratio. i went with a nvidia 670 (i should have just got a 650/660) and wow has been running like a dream.

i don't know how confident you are in overclocking and i don't know if your computer is unlocked for over clocking... i oced my 955 from 3.2 to 3.6 and that helped. over clocking your processor is free (if you do it yourself) and as long as you don't go crazy going you won't damage your system.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
you'll want to upgrade that video card. may i suggest a 660 ti or the 7870?

anything more than that would really get bottlenecked by that e8400 you might even want to go slightly lower than those video cards... maybe a 660 or 7850
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What is your power supply?
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 05:48 PMPosted by Kalganized
What is your power supply?

I'm currently running a 700w power supply, I believe it will be adequate for anything I do with this machine.

Think I will probably go with something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130841

(It's a GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB if you don't want to click the link)

As a side question, what board manufacturer do you guys trust most for vid cards? ie. eVGA, Asus, Gigabyte?
Edited by Lasher on 2/5/2013 7:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For that price you'd want a Radeon 7850. Newegg has an MSI 650ti for $110 after rebate.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]