New Grand Crusader change, what do you think?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Because balancing RNG on top of more RNG has proven to work so well in the past.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm not overly fond of the change. Technically is a slight nerf to Haste (and I mean really slight) with the GC change not proccing off of more frequent Crusader Strikes, but what worries me more than anything about it is that it's like Retsu and Sanctified said - more RNG based on something that already requires RNG.

I'd like something more tangible than a chance at a Grand Crusader proc. Something like Sancitified's Reckoning suggestion or something that let Dodge/Parry synergize with Sanctity of Battle or even ShotR
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/05/2013 10:15 PMPosted by Stmichael
I'm not sure how people could still consider dodge and parry "mediocre" stats. Full haste vs full avoidance was an issue of smoothing out spike damage, but avoidance did ultimately provide better mitigation. With this change, however, avoidance will provide holy power, smoothing out the damage spikes of an already higher mitigation build.

They will always be mediocre as long as they're random. The fact that they have such nasty diminishing returns doesn't help either.

And you should probably be careful not to confuse your terms. Avoidance provides higher total damage reduction (TDR), not mitigation (which is partial damage reduction effects, such as armor or block). Haste and mastery builds are based around mitigation while avoidance builds are based around total damage reduction.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's the same thing my warrior tank already has with Revenge resetting. And it'll feel the same during play; OP on trash, very slow on bosses.

Still don't recognize or give any credence to the idea that avoiding boring stats was wrong, when anyone with half a brain who plays any of the other tank classes does the same thing. All my tank characters of each class do the same thing. My guild mates do the same thing. I'm running with a dk tank right now who favors dps gear. I've run with MT's for years; warriors, druids, pallys, who always favored dps gear and steered clear of the bastion of un-hit-ability gearing for all the obvious reasons; dps contribution, more fun playstyle.
Edited by Contritus on 2/6/2013 11:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
All of how this change will affect the individual tankadin will come down to is how are you gearing? Are you going for avoidance, or are you going for mitigation?

Right now if your going to be going for higher mitigation, your choice is pretty much just stack haste and haste upon mastery. As far as the avoidance goes you would want to encompass more stamina into the mix due to some of the slight increase in spike damage that you would most likely lose due to not having the holy power as fast from the haste cooldown based reduction to keep up SoTR.

Since they are changing the actual random proc to work with dodge/parry, the randomness that occurs from the proc might smooth some of the spike damage with the current avoidance sets, but overall it might still be better to actually go more mitigation. Though the nerf to haste will make it not as desirable as it currently is, running with the haste and mastery and you 2.5 multiplier for dodge and parry you might see an actual increase increase in their mitigation for the simple fact of you will still be pumping holy power as fast as you were, but you have the extra rng of your dodges and parries contributing to your mitigation as well now.

All in all, after playing around with it on the ptr, I haven't been fully thrilled with this change because it still way to random of a proc. There is no base % chance that it can occur off of a dodge or parry currently, so to what point is it actually worth while to gear avoidance? I'm just hoping that before 5.2 hits they at least post a little bit more clarification of the % based proc that we have from a dodge or parry for grand crusader to actually occur.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There is no base % chance that it can occur off of a dodge or parry currently, so to what point is it actually worth while to gear avoidance??

It was actually 30%, but GC mentioned they're changing it so both CS/HotR and Dodge/Parries can proc Grand Crusader, albeit at a lower chance.

It's a great compromise. Haste is still desirable and Dodge/Parry help towards mitigation via GC procs.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/06/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Jackishi
There is no base % chance that it can occur off of a dodge or parry currently, so to what point is it actually worth while to gear avoidance??

It was actually 30%, but GC mentioned they're changing it so both CS/HotR and Dodge/Parries can proc Grand Crusader, albeit at a lower chance.

It's a great compromise. Haste is still desirable and Dodge/Parry help towards mitigation via GC procs.

Where did he mention this? I am curious to see/read it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]