Scheduled maintenance

Thanks for the polite request Morriz. Unfortunately, as much as we'd like to accommodate as many people as possible, it's not always feasible. Instead, we try to minimize the impact as much as possible and try to stay as consistent as possible as well in how and when we do maintenance.

May your crops be bountiful and the vermin stay away from them. :)

First of all, I hate when Mods use the term "we" when speaking of blizzard and their own personal duties. Blizzard has never and will never see or hear any advice from you.

Secondly, I could care less about the downtime, but your statement "for blizzard" saying that "As much as we'd like to accommodate as many people as possible" is BS. IF that were true than Blizzard would be paying their programers overtime to begin maintenance around 2am. That would "accommodate" about 30% more players.

Like I said.. I have crap to do in the mornings anyways... I just hate BS responses.

HES THE HERO WE NEED
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
blah blah blah they don't give a damn about any of us. As long as the $15 is coming in monthly, things will never change. The same reason botters have been running rampant more and more often. They pay their 15 bucks, why should blizz ban the account that is paying them? They won't.

Starting two hours earlier means they have to wake up 2 hours earlier. God forbid they have to go out of their way for our pleasure... GOD FORBID.

Hyperbole much?

Ummm, obviously?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Dear Blizzard,
Could you send me 500 million for my fun and pleasure? Thank you.
Cocoa

Edited for better manners.

Re-edit for better results.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/05/2013 10:10 AMPosted by Nunepi
That would "accommodate" about 30% more players.

Starting 2 hours earlier would be better for pretty much everyone.

Where do you guys get this data? You think you know better than Blizzard on what day and time the least amount of people are on?

Currently the US and China have the most players in WoW. China is at 3.2 million and US is at 3 million.

In China the average time a person wakes up is 9am. In the US it is 8am. Currently maintenance is scheduled to be concluded at 11:00am PST that is at 3am wed. for China. Most people are not up at that time anyways in China.

By pushing the maintenance back 3 hours that will put the up time of WoW for US residents at the exact time they are waking up.

That is where I got my figures.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I also agree. Starting 2 hours earlier would be better for pretty much everyone.

Less people on at the requested 3 a.m. than there could be at the requested 9 a.m.

Less people where YOU live, maybe. You do understand that the world is round, right? You do understand that when it's 3:00 am your time, it will be a different time at different spots on the world map, right?

Idiots .... US Servers don't span more than a 3 hour difference.

PST -8:00
EST -5:00

Section off Europe and do all those at a different time.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
02/05/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Greensauce

So just guesses on your part and assumptions that people want to log onto WoW as soon as they wake up. Got it.

I think I will still trust Blizzard on this though, since they can actually see when people log on and how many people log on. Actual data, not guesses.
Reply Quote
19 Gnome Mage
Earlier than 3 am? It's 6 pm EST when they start, .

????????? Last I heard, there was only a 3 hour difference between PST and EST.. When did they change that ?? lol
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/05/2013 10:31 AMPosted by Nunepi

So just guesses on your part and assumptions that people want to log onto WoW as soon as they wake up. Got it.

I think I will still trust Blizzard on this though, since they can actually see when people log on and how many people log on. Actual data, not guesses.

This is simple math. If a larger percent of your customers are in a certain area and that percent are active at a certain time than you should probably open your doors at that time.

The reason Blizzard does not do this is not because people aren't playing at 9am.. the reason Blizzard does this is to avoid overtime pay and to keep their programmers happy. Blizzard already has your money and does not make an extra cent from you if you play more. If they could only open their servers once a week and keep players from leaving... they would.

I love how you trust Blizzard 100%. why? Because they make money off of you? You must be young.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
My guess is the schedule has more to do with optimizing the likelihood of a healthy go-live.

5:00 am -- the guy with the short straw gets up early, takes everything down, and starts the backups

7:00 am -- the backups complete and the other teams start showing up. Sometimes they are deploying infrastructure changes, sometimes it's just a piece of code to deploy. On bad days they're doing a client patch.

9:00 am -- Everyone's had their coffee and it's time to test things.

11:00 am -- Hopefully everything went well and they just do a little monitoring for the rest of the day. If things didn't go well, the team is here for the rest of the day, and there's plenty of it left.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If possible, can someone explain why the maintenance times for the EU region vary so much from the US maintenance?

Example: assuming things stay on schedule, today's US maintenance rendered WoW and D3 unplayable for 6 hours.

However, the BlizzardCSEU_EN twitter account just announced that, for Europe, WoW maintenance will only be 4 hours long and D3 will have rolling restarts.
(Source: https://twitter.com/BlizzardCSEU_EN/status/298838512579510273)
Edited by Sugarbelly on 2/5/2013 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Hello,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could run scheduled maintenance 2 hours earlier than it is currently run. I do not mean to be selfish by asking this. My mother taught me it never hurts to ask politely for something you want. I play in the morning before going to work and the current times make me miss a day - and I have crops to harvest!!

:)>>

Thanks for the polite request Morriz. Unfortunately, as much as we'd like to accommodate as many people as possible, it's not always feasible. Instead, we try to minimize the impact as much as possible and try to stay as consistent as possible as well in how and when we do maintenance.

May your crops be bountiful and the vermin stay away from them. :)

Dear Blizz,

Santa told me a secret. HE said Blizzard used to start maint at 3am not 5am. I put that on my Christmas list but instead got coal
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I slept untill just now to aviod the down down time hope it dose not get exstended.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]