Rerolling, seeking advice/clarification

81 Blood Elf Priest
Hello! I want to say I am sorry for creating yet another thread like this. I read the sticky but looking for a little input and clarification from others. I am not asking what I should reroll, just looking for a little clarification on some mechanics. In the end it all comes down to personal preference anyway!

I've recently returned from a rather long hiatus. I have decided to reroll on another server and want to stick with heals. I don't necessarily want to roll yet another priest (already have 2) but I love disc healing. LOVE. I know it is the only class that is more of a proactive approach rather than reactive. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to what class might give me the closest feel to disc healing?

I like the idea of hots and feel that might be somewhat similar. Yes? Not at all? I also love the idea of shammy healing, but I seem to burn out on shammy's before level 20...maybe not now with the dungeon finder. I plan to level mostly through dungeon finder and pvp (more of a focus on pvp).

The only other healing class I've leveled high enough to matter was a holy pally way back in TBC (leveled as holy, before the dungeon finder, agony), and while I did like it I am a bit apprehensive as I heard that you get combo points now (?) for heals? The fact that I am a horrible rogue due to that particular mechanic I do not see that working out too well in the end. Is this true? If so, is it similar to rogue/kitty? If that is the case I am running far, far away.

If anyone can shed a bit of light on these few questions you will be my hero! Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/05/2013 03:29 PMPosted by Avaloria
I like the idea of hots and feel that might be somewhat similar. Yes? Not at all?

I never found that druids played particularly similarly to disc priests. Yes, both reward thinking ahead, but the time scale is different and the 'feel' is very very different.

Monks are HoT-based healers that play on about the same time scale as disc priests and have a similar amount of 'maintenance' activity, short-CD-juggling, etc. I haven't played a live monk at high levels so I can't say for certain, but it's vaguely possible that you might find some familiarity there.

The only other healing class I've leveled high enough to matter was a holy pally way back in TBC (leveled as holy, before the dungeon finder, agony), and while I did like it I am a bit apprehensive as I heard that you get combo points now (?) for heals? The fact that I am a horrible rogue due to that particular mechanic I do not see that working out too well in the end. Is this true? If so, is it similar to rogue/kitty? If that is the case I am running far, far away.

Holy Power is not at all even a little bit similar to rogue/kitty combo points. (Neither is Chi, for that matter.) It's an actual resource that is tied to you rather than your target, and you only spend part of it at a time, and you can build it out of combat (as Holy or Mistweaver).

It functions more like a stacking buff with charges than like combo points. It's like Evangelism or Tidal Waves with more interaction and a UI element for easy monitoring. (And you don't have to use the default UI element; I have a setup in Weak Auras where each charge of Holy Power lights up one piece of a big glowy Horde symbol in the middle of my screen. Fun and easy. I can export the auras for anyone who wants them.)

That said, paladins are 180 degrees different from disc priests. The only spec more reactive than a paladin is a holy priest. Don't let the Mastery fool you; paladins are not proactive healers, we just sort of accidentally shield people with our reactive heals. A paladin who tried to stack shields with anything other than Eternal Flame would be OOM so fast it's not even funny (and EF is a single-target heal, so the amount of blanketing is limited, and half its healing is in the initial direct heal, so even EF blanketing is at least partly reactive, and the shields aren't exactly enormous).
Edited by Kaels on 2/5/2013 4:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
i will tell u that holy pallys will be #1 healer on pve 5.2 and always have been good at pvp. So play more with your pally cause priest will be nerfed and going to be the worst heal out there.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/08/2013 04:10 AMPosted by Dlegu
priest will be nerfed and going to be the worst heal out there.

HAHAHAHAHA that's funny. I mean it's not like they have two specs or anything. Pretty sure jade serpent statue is going to be the best healer in 5.2, possible windwool bandages.
Reply Quote
I know it is the only class that is more of a proactive approach rather than reactive. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to what class might give me the closest feel to disc healing?

I like the idea of hots and feel that might be somewhat similar. Yes? Not at all?

Not exactly. For druids, most of their HoTs are front-loaded and short-duration, meaning it's not smart to pre-cast them. So they lack any ability to prepare for burst, and they don't have much to do with their downtime.

Monks do prepare for burst, up to 40 seconds in advance. They also DPS to heal (and generate resources to heal) and they're a very busy spec. They're probably the most similar to disc priests. However, they don't have the control that disc priests do, and that definitely takes some adjustment.

Shamans can be boring while leveling, and they're extremely reactive healers. But they're also very dynamic and powerful at max level. You could level as Enhancement (another fun, busy spec that's half-healer) and switch to Resto around 85.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
No other class heals like Disc.

Closest would probably be a druid, since in theory if you get enough hots on someone their hp wont move while taking consistent damge just like a shield.

But the timing is all off on it. With shields you dont waste any healing. With hots you will, though i'm intrigued by the new mushroom mechanic functioning with overhealing for 5.2

Also hots wont deal with a damage spike nearly as well.

From most proactive healer to least I'd have to say.

Disc
Druid
Monk
Shaman
Holy
Paladin
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]