Reliable and complete raid frame solution?

90 Undead Rogue
I'm playing a healer again. Unfortunately, (and what has been keeping me from going back to the role for so long) the glitching that occurs with the Blizzard raid frames since Cataclysm still seems to occur. For those who are unaware or want confirmation, when someone joins or leaves the party/raid while you are in combat, the frames become mismatched with the players they are supposed to represent. I have a script that I bind to all my heals which resets the frames, but it only seems to fix them once I leave combat.

On top of that, with the change to dispels, giving them a cooldown, I would very much like the ability to see the majority of debuffs affecting the party/raid at a glance. I think the Blizzard raid frames do a wonderful job and look great to boot, but I can't risk glitching out for my own sanity. I am comfortable using Grid, and currently use it, but I can't figure out a way to see multiple debuffs without having to painstakingly map out all the debuffs I want to keep watch over, and assign all of them priority numbers.

What kinds of solutions have you all come up with?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/05/2013 08:49 PMPosted by Jonesie
I'm playing a healer again. Unfortunately, (and what has been keeping me from going back to the role for so long) the glitching that occurs with the Blizzard raid frames since Cataclysm still seems to occur.

Have you looked into this? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4768689845
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I have not, thanks for the lead.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's a problem with the Blizzard raid frames themselves. That macro that the OP in the thread Nerf linked says will reveal what is breaking your frames...won't actually do that. The issue is the code Blizzard is using themselves. You can go in with a completely bare UI, no addons whatsoever, and the frames will STILL break. The macro will give you false positives on everything from Power Auras to VuhDo.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
That's what I was afraid of. How is it that something this prevalent has gone unfixed for so long? On a related note, what do you do, Tiriél?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/05/2013 10:25 PMPosted by Jonesie
That's what I was afraid of. How is it that something this prevalent has gone unfixed for so long? On a related note, what do you do, Tiriél?

I reload my UI or try to get out of combat. It's really the only thing you can do. It's frustrating, but there you have it. Normally your raid frames should only have issues if someone leaves or joins the raid while you're in combat, which usually only happens in BGs (where you can easily run away and drop combat) or LFR (where it...probably doesn't matter if you can't see half the raid). However, sometimes it happens in 5 mans. I've actually manually targeted and dispelled someone before when I had the bad luck not to see them.

Normally VuhDo maintains whoever is marked as the tank, and my bar, but one of the DPS will get replaced by the new person. If someone LEAVES the group while I'm in a 5 man, VuhDo normally just puts a blank "DC bar" area where they were, and leaves the rest of the frame alone.

As to how it's gone on this long...I don't know. As was explained to me, the Blizzard UI has an inordinate number of things "hooking" into the raid frames. But the raid frames themselves are "protected," so when those UI elements try to call on something and end up calling on the raid frames for whatever reason (just doing their normal job, mind you), it's returned as a "taint" and you get a bugged out frame. They need to fix it, but so far have refused to acknowledge the problem.

Edited to Add: Kaels found a way around the problem a few months back, utilizing Xperl, if I remember correctly. However, I don't know if the solution he was using still works. Maybe he will comment here and expound!
Edited by Tiriél on 2/5/2013 10:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
This isn't necessarily related to that specific bug, but Kaels actually just did put up a thread about Grid2, which is a very nice healing UI:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7811022160
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks - I'd considered linking that, but unfortunately it doesn't solve the OP's problem. Grid2 inherits Grid's method of dealing with debuffs, so if you need to see all active debuffs, it's no good.

@the OP: Pitbull4 has a generally well-behaved raidframe module that can do what you want. Unfortunately, it doesn't really do HoT indicators, and the plugin that I used to use for those (Pitbull4 Visual Helpers) is an expansion out of date. It should still work but you'd have to edit the toc file to make it load.

I'm fairly sure Vuhdo can show all debuffs, but I can't vouch for it being free of the Blizzard bug.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
02/06/2013 03:32 AMPosted by Kaels
I'm fairly sure Vuhdo can show all debuffs, but I can't vouch for it being free of the Blizzard bug.

It still has it but it recovers much better than X perl or the default frames. If someone leaves mid-combat and someone else joins right away, you may see the name of the person that left 2x on the list, but once combat drops it sorts itself out without needing to /reload. Or the person that left may be removed from the frames and the new person not added mid-combat, and again it fixes when you drop combat.

It sure beats reloading constantly though.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
First off - in a real raiding setting this isn't an issue is it? Only in LFR or 5-mans will one see this and you have to /reload UI or get out of combat.

And this isn't limited to the default raid UI - it happens to VuhDo also.

So why would you be worried about a major change to your UI smply for LFR and 5-mans if you are healing just fine?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Yes, it's true, under controlled, organized situations, it's fine. But I personally hate to to lose due to technical issues, and players leaving and joining in combat happens all too often in random battlegrounds.

Based on your descriptions, I think I will give Pitbull a try, can I not keep track of HoTs with OmniCC, or is that what you mean by not having HoT indicators? Seeing as how Grid lets me avoid the taint entirely, I am not exactly motivated to try VuhDo if it reacts to it in that way... but, I do appreciate the referrals.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/06/2013 08:28 PMPosted by Jonesie
can I not keep track of HoTs with OmniCC, or is that what you mean by not having HoT indicators?

You know how on Grid you can set up indicators for your various HoTs that you want to monitor? Pitbull doesn't have that natively - it just shows all the buffs on the target in the same way it shows all the debuffs.

If you want to selectively monitor specific HoTs, you'll have to go into the Auras configuration and just whitelist the ones you want to see. The result of that will be a buffs display pretty much the same as the default Blizzard frames.

Alternatively, try installing Visual Helpers and just opening its .toc file in Notepad and changing the Version to whatever it is in the .toc file of current addons. It shouldn't have any major issues, although it might.
Edited by Kaels on 2/6/2013 9:39 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]