A Memory of Light

100 Blood Elf Paladin
The 14th and final volume of Robert Jordan's (RIP <3) epic Wheel of Time series has been released.

I know of a few WoT fans here on Ravenholdt but I'm curious to see if there might be more lurking about. To the fans, have you purchased the book yet? Did you finish it already? Are you satisfied with this last installment and the end of this great story? I just started reading the book yesterday. Unfortunately, between work and school responsibilities it's going to take me a little while to finish it.

For me, this is all kind of bittersweet. It will be nice to have closure since the saga has enthralled me for nearly 15 years now, but at the same time I'm sad to see the anticipation for the next installment fade away.

Feel free to discuss any other aspects of WoT, such as favorite characters and whatnot.

PLEASE, NO SPOILERS!!! Try not to discuss any details that appear in the final book!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
I just ordered my copy from SFBC. Can't wait!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/01/2013 10:51 AMPosted by Kiraleen
I just ordered my copy from SFBC. Can't wait!

Awesome! :D
Reply Quote
70 Undead Rogue
Endorsed
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It wraps everything up. It pulls to the final chapter which Jordan wrote before his death.

It does feel like the last battle is three divisions, two brigades and a handful of platoons, but it is better than the Game of Thrones in the way units are handled.

I was glad to have read and finished it. Of all things, it really feels as if it could have been two books, not one. I was glad it was over.

Got my money's worth from buying it.

Glad the series is finally a wrap.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
That's good feedback! Thank you. I can't wait to read all the epic channeling goodness in the Last Battle.

I'm desperately hoping to not be disappointed at the end.
Reply Quote
Hi Candela,

Yes, I am a huge fan. Bought and read the book. Two thumbs up and will say no more about the book. Enjoy it for the Wheel has turned and what once was is no more. The Wheel of Time series has ended.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I enjoyed the book. It had been a few years since I had read the rest of the series, so I was hazy on many of the secondary characters. But it felt like there were enough textual reminders "Oh yeah, Berelin was the beautiful queen of some little country and she had a thing for Perrin until she met Galad" that I didn't have to trawl wikipedia to catch myself up. I surely missed all the cute things that happened with the tertiary characters, but I wasn't about to reread the entire series to catch such things.

I think Sanderson's favorite character was Mat. His Mat passages were distinctly more flavorful than the rest.

The Rand passages were necessary, but probably my least favorite parts of the book. I feel like they covered well-trodden ground.

I'm satisfied with the ending. Guess I can't really say more than that in a non spoiler thread. :)
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Great series! I read the prologue of the first book. That's as far as I've gotten so far.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everyone!

02/05/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Cayreth
Great series! I read the prologue of the first book. That's as far as I've gotten so far.

That prologue is epic, to be sure.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
I've just started the series, and have just finished the second book. I had always blown off Robert Jordan because of his work in the Conan series. Hulk persuaded me to look at it again, and I learned that the Conan contract was largely to a script, and was very early work. Bought the first Wheel of Time volume at a deliciously musty used book store. Awesome stuff. RJ is as good as any fantasy writer, and better than most.

Really haven't read this thread because I do NOT want any plot spoilers!
Edited by Stonzgrinda on 2/6/2013 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
SFBC sent me an email saying my copy's been shipped. :(
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I've just started the series, and have just finished the second book. I had always blown off Robert Jordan because of his work in the Conan series. Hulk persuaded me to look at it again, and I learned that the Conan contract was largely to a script, and was very early work. Bought the first Wheel of Time volume at a deliciously musty used book store. Awesome stuff. RJ is as good as any fantasy writer, and better than most.

Really haven't read this thread because I do NOT want any plot spoilers!

I never read the Conan series he did, actually. I'm glad to hear you're already a fan of the WoT series--it gets you hooked pretty quickly.

02/07/2013 06:15 AMPosted by Kiraleen
SFBC sent me an email saying my copy's been shipped. :(

Soon! Hang in there. >.<
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Just opened my copy! Wheeee!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/11/2013 07:34 AMPosted by Kiraleen
Just opened my copy! Wheeee!

Awesome!!

I still haven't made it very far into the book yet. I've been using what spare time I find to play WoW and further my immersion in the wonderful RP community we have in these parts. >.>

It's weird. I'm almost hesitant to finish the series. I'm sure I will eventually just break down and have a WoT weekend to wrap it up in the near future.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]