Gnomes and Monks

I'm having trouble figuring out how they'd mesh. Now, I don't know too much about monk lore but from what I gather, they're mostly about balance and serenity. The whole mystic shebang.

With the way most gnomes operate, it just seems like they'd be too inclined to rationalize a monk's ability rather than embrace any kind of zen philosophy mumbo-jumbo. I'm completely at a loss as to what kind of mentality a gnome accepting the key aspects of a monk would have. Granted, I haven't tried RPing this combination out first and seeing where it took me, but still.

Anyone have any insight on this? Firsthand experience? Maybe I missed something, I dunno lol. This board has some pretty darn knowledgeable folks from what I've seen, so I just thought I'd ask here. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
What's wrong with rationalizing a monk's powers? Magic in Azeroth is a very different beast than on Earth, given that Azerothian magic is less a mysticism, and more an applied science with an associated philosophical discipline.
Reply Quote
That's... a good point. Huh, thanks. I'm not sure, guess I figured rationalization would lead to not seeing the whole picture, per-se. As if using such powers required some kind of esoteric understanding of the world around you, something your typical gnome would (I assume) have trouble comprehending with a serious face. Compared to the arcane, which the gnomes pretty much have down to a science, like you said.

From what I've read, monk powers aren't magic at all. It just seems so confusing, to the point where it's like I'd be better off having the gnome simply be a curious researcher into the unknown rather than a true follower of anything monk. With how new it is to Azeroth, I'd wager that's true of most non-Pandaren monks.

So I guess I don't really have a problem with rationalization. I just want to know what a gnome would sound like if they didn't do as much. Like, maybe they'd sound like any other monk, I dunno. But then what'd be the point of being a gnome?
Reply Quote
Actually, a Gnome is possibly one of the most well suited races to grasp these concepts in the flow of Chi, and the balance of Yin and Yang as they apply so naturally to physical sciences and engineering.

“If you coil the spring too tight, it will snap. If you coil the spring too loose, it will not function. Thus, you must strive for a balance between to make the gears turn smoothly.”

“Energy must have a clear pathway to flow, or you will not have an efficient power out put. Crossed wires or dirty connectors interfere with the flow, thus you must take time and care to remove the interferences to achieve a pure, and steady current.”

And the same principles applied to an electrochemical powered machine (people) existing in a magnetically polarized housing (planet).
Reply Quote
Ah man, you guys are great! Didn't think it'd sound that cool. I mean, I suppose it'd vary on an individual level, but that seems pretty core to what I was itching to see. Gnomes actually being naturally adept rather than simply fitting in is a pretty neat thought, going off of your reasoning.

Now I'm just wondering if monk RP could be made better with research into the actual principles like Chi and what-not. Like, if it'd be worth it or something. It's made manifest in-game for high-fantasy purposes, but it can't be all that different at the bottom of it all, right?

Thanks for the help, guys.
Reply Quote
Actually, a Gnome is possibly one of the most well suited races to grasp these concepts in the flow of Chi, and the balance of Yin and Yang as they apply so naturally to physical sciences and engineering.

“If you coil the spring too tight, it will snap. If you coil the spring too loose, it will not function. Thus, you must strive for a balance between to make the gears turn smoothly.”

“Energy must have a clear pathway to flow, or you will not have an efficient power out put. Crossed wires or dirty connectors interfere with the flow, thus you must take time and care to remove the interferences to achieve a pure, and steady current.”

And the same principles applied to an electrochemical powered machine (people) existing in a magnetically polarized housing (planet).

This reminds me... way back in Mists beta, someone actually wrote up a whole "philosophical essay" about the Monk ways as seen through a gnome's eyes, using similar comparative analogies as those... Wish I still remembered where they had it...
Reply Quote
For Science!!!

Seriously, though - Gnomes have to acknowledge that Azerothian physics includes all sorts of stuff real world doesn't. Arcane magic, manipulation of elements, "the Light", "nature" forces, fel magic - these are as real in Azeroth as electricity and heat. To a Gnome, though, there's no mumbo-jumbo - these are just elements of the universe that we have learned to manipulate without knowing what they are. Ben Franklin did not understand electrons, or how electrical currents were generated, when he demonstrated that lightning was made of electricity. Volta and Ohm even learned lots of mathematical useful stuff about how electricity works, but had no clue about all the stuff we know about it.

(in character)
Now, I have spent many years studying combat that does not involve flailing away inefficiently with weapons. I have studied and tried to master all the methods of un-armed combat. When Pandaria was discovered, I was actually trying (and completely failing) to understand the stuff druids do. The first Pandaren monk I saw fascinated me - using the actual life energies of ones own body as both a weapon and a method of healing? I have been working to master it ever since.

One thing that I have trouble with, and it must be Pandaren physiology that makes the difference - they seem to fight more effectively when they drink beer. I - don't. At all.

Anyhow, I don't know what these energies are, any more than I know what this Light priests and paladins use is, or what it is mages use to throw frost and fire and - whatever arcane bolts are - around. I do know that they exist, quite obviously, because I have been made more healthy by some of them and hurt - sometimes quite badly! - by all of them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]