Quick question @ RPers

90 Gnome Warrior
This isn't a flame thread; however I know by asking, I probably will be flamed..

however, I would like to know more about the lore of World of Warcraft.. but I have NO idea where to even begin.

Is there a website that starts at the beginning and goes until the end? Are there books to start off with? Let me know guys, I'd appreciate it!

Xipilli
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I was fairly sure that the official website had a ton of lore information. But, man you can find heaps of info with a cursory glance at the internet. Entire websites dedicated to the lore.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Well, I can google it - however I just don't know where to begin.. it would be like jumping into the fourth chapter of a book, or a better analogy would be the third book of the Harry Potter series type deal.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
What I do when I have a lore question is head to WoWwiki. There are usually enough links to other entries in the specific entry I was looking for to branch out into an idea/story/RP arc.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I started at the War of the Ancients Trilogy books personally as that's when everything kind of kicked off.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I was originally directed to the books, but they're very out of order and kind of all of the place so I wasn't enjoying learning from them. The World of Warcraft site itself has some lore, but I'd not venture to say a "ton" it seems very short compared to the amount of lore people are constantly referencing.

I truthfully have not found a "great" place to read the lore yet. I think the first place to start would probably be WoWPedia.org or WoWWiki.com.

I'm going to monitor this page though, because I'm interested in this topic personally, and I'm hoping someone with some good sites chimes in. :)
Edited by Clover on 2/4/2013 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
(( If you are looking for the chronological starting place, the most in depth piece would be the War of the Ancients. There are things that happen before this like the Draenei's flight from Argus, but those events are usually not elaborated on in huge detail. Like the escape from Argus is only 1 chapter in the rise of the Horde book.

However, I feel the best place to start learning lore is the Rise of the Horde novel and reading the books up from there. The most relevant lore to the game usually stems from WC 1-3, but a lot of the lore from the first two was retconned in the books written afterwards. For example, in WC1 you just jump Medivh with a bunch of random knights. In the books, Medivh is killed by Lothar, Khadgar, and Garona. The books are considered the "correct" variation of lore and that is reflected in WoW.

I suppose it also depend on what you are wanting to do as well. If you are looking to get into RP, then reading about gnomes is probably a better place to start for your character.))
Edited by Lifty on 2/4/2013 10:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Druid
This is a decent read and quicker than diving into the books:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/the-story-of-warcraft/chapter1

edit - hm, that used to be much longer and more detailed before the forum changes, I'm not sure where the old full length 'story of warcraft' went.

For individual races I'd take a look at a wiki page to start. You can also look at a site like wowinsider/joystiq for articles on specifics subjects:

http://wow.joystiq.com/lore/
Edited by Shozen on 2/4/2013 11:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
45 Tauren Druid
wowpedia.org isn't bad.

There's a LOT of lore to get behind wayyyy before you get to world of warcraft.
Reply Quote
The lore of Warcraft is insane. You could take an entire day reading up on it and still not know everything there is to know
Reply Quote
45 Tauren Druid
02/04/2013 02:35 PMPosted by Bronkk
The lore of Warcraft is insane. You could take an entire day reading up on it and still not know everything there is to know

Easily
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
This link has everything put as simply as possible and actually quite entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/show/lorefornoobs
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
02/04/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Viktorgraves
What I do when I have a lore question is head to WoWwiki.

Wowpedia is actually more in depth, but if you want a good overview wowiki is a great start.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
02/04/2013 02:50 PMPosted by Thornedior
Wowpedia is actually more in depth, but if you want a good overview wowiki is a great start.
Reply Quote
7 Gnome Warrior
Wowpedia for sure. You should keep the official timeline open in another tab while you read. Helps put things in perspective, although I think the last official one is from 2007.
Reply Quote
3 Pandaren Warrior
Wowpedia.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
wowwiki or wowpedia is great.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Look at the story of Warcraft 1 (canon, the Orcish victory), Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, then on from there World of Warcraft. Books are great and all but this is a video game series after all.
Reply Quote
7 Gnome Warrior
02/04/2013 11:05 PMPosted by Amelisae
Look at the story of Warcraft 1 (canon, the Orcish victory), Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, then on from there World of Warcraft. Books are great and all but this is a video game series after all.
A lot of lore from the earlier games has been changed, unfortunately.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Play the games. It's the best first-hand way to experience the lore. Same can be said about the books, and other some-such. Bit of a time sink though. The Story of Warcraft is a good way to get a flavor for the lore but, lets be honest, that's the most vague and diluted pile of text I've ever read.

I personally like to hear others take on the lore. It's always interesting and it gets you thinking as well. Much more invigorating than having the obvious plot shoved in your face.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]