Challenge Modes: One Strange Aspect...

90 Night Elf Druid
Hey! Thanks for checking this out.
I've been thinking about this for a very long time. Just a few weeks ago, a few of my friends and I started running these awesome Challenge Mode dungeons! Not only do I love them, but when we accomplish them seeing ourselves ranked in server is awesome!
...That's just the thing.

You see, when I see myself ranked among other noble challenges, I do get a warm sense of pride. But, looking deeper, what is it? Players from outside of my server can team up and get ranked? Honestly, what's the point of "server ranking" if some of the top runs in CM's from my server only include one member from my server?
What I'm trying to say is, I believe to rank in my server, the whole team should be from the server. Otherwise, it's just a worldwide thing.
I don't know. Just a thought. Not sure if I'm the only one that is a bit disappointed by that.

Overall however, kudos to Blizzard for Pandaria. Not only is the expansion itself beautiful, but the new content and playing possibilities are fantastic.
Thank you for reading and considering my perspective. Enjoy your week.
-Equine
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Would you feel different if the only players you could find were from other realms?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Most times simply aren't good enough for the regional leaderboards. Mine for instance. Decent times, nowhere near regionally good. Because I'm competing against a lot of people, and a last minute run put together with whoever was online isn't the best way to compete for top times.

And so, if your scheme was implemented, most people would never rank. And thus would never be driven to push for better times. If I know that I have X rank on my server, it pushes me to change that by a bit. If I know that the regional rank for the run is 5 minutes shorter than my best attempt, it's a tad hard to conceptualize as being beatable. Have to build up slowly, not go straight for world first heroic kills from normals.

I do agree that it makes the leaderboard messy though. For instance, the top time for Mogu'shan Palace on my server is held by one person... a rogue from Illidan. It makes no sense at all when you look at it, but at one point, all his teammates were on Cho'gall (Exodus) and that's why it picked this realm to rank them on.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Welcome to the real world where you realize there are bigger fish in the World of Warcraft outside of your server.

This suggestion is almost as bad as saying Cross Realm RBGs shouldn't give rating.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Good suggestion IMO; perhaps to satisfy everybody , have two leaderboards for each realm (one requiring full realm group, and one allowing cross-realm players).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I have most of the realm best times on my server atm. And I agree, my name should not be up there for the realm-best time unless I took at least 2 people with me from my server.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Welcome to the real world where you realize there are bigger fish in the World of Warcraft outside of your server.

This suggestion is almost as bad as saying Cross Realm RBGs shouldn't give rating.
An example someone gave is if everyone runner in the world is being constantly compared to Usain Bolt. That doesn't happen. There are the Olympics for worldwide competition, but there are also national, regional, state, city, etc. competitions. Here there is regional vs realm (and world if you go outside the Blizzard website), but some people simply don't agree with how the realm listing is handled.

Not saying I think it should be changed, I just don't agree with that argument.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Not really. It does make sense since afterall, they're server leaderboards. I dont think hes implying not registering/ranking time in the regional bracket unless everyone is from the same server, so doesnt really hurt anyone thriving for the world/NA #1 ranking.

Tbh, no real distinction between server and regional leaderboards since neither award anything for being at the top, so its hard to stay objective.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I do appreciate the feedback, guys! I like the idea of seperate leaderboards for server then seperate one's for worldwide.
It is true that the higher rankings do push me for a better score, but the only problem is often they are so well geared that I just cannot keep up with their gear progression. I'm not complaining about my ranking, I received exactly what was proper for my gear and coordination. Also, the times are set by a standard, so overall, people have to reach some sort of goal time.

Thanks again!
-E

Edit: Also if you note the forum thread for LF Challenge Mode group, that throws me off. Isn't that just then collaborating for a bunch of people to just run the dungeon for the sake of the accomplishment? I mean sure, everyone would love to have one of those beautiful phoenix, or that full transmog armor, but shouldn't it be something contained and not just open for loaded teams to dominate by chartering for groups? I don't know. Again, fully an open opinion thing.
Edited by Equine on 2/5/2013 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Because if they didn't show cross realm ranks, servers like Shu'halo (and most servers) would have near empty leader boards, or a bunch of bronze
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I do appreciate the feedback, guys! I like the idea of seperate leaderboards for server then seperate one's for worldwide.
It is true that the higher rankings do push me for a better score, but the only problem is often they are so well geared that I just cannot keep up with their gear progression. I'm not complaining about my ranking, I received exactly what was proper for my gear and coordination. Also, the times are set by a standard, so overall, people have to reach some sort of goal time.

Thanks again!
-E

Edit: Also if you note the forum thread for LF Challenge Mode group, that throws me off. Isn't that just then collaborating for a bunch of people to just run the dungeon for the sake of the accomplishment? I mean sure, everyone would love to have one of those beautiful phoenix, or that full transmog armor, but shouldn't it be something contained and not just open for loaded teams to dominate by chartering for groups? I don't know. Again, fully an open opinion thing.

Just fyi, besides few gem slot and a better trinket proc (which are all available in LFR anyway) better gear doesn't give you squat in challenge modes since every item gets capped at 463 ilvl (anything above is nerfed down, everything under is untouched). The difference in time comes from dedication, strategies used, practice, gear optimization (not gear itself but how you chose to reforge and such), group composition and execution.

Also just to be sure I'm clear, when I say a better trinket proc I mean that at equal ilvl, a main attribute proc might be better than a secondary stat proc, or a on use might be better than an automatic proc. I'm not referring to the strength of the proc itself which also gets nerfed with the ilvl shrink.
Edited by Nerthfu on 2/5/2013 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/05/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Ðemolition
Because if they didn't show cross realm ranks, servers like Shu'halo (and most servers) would have near empty leader boards, or a bunch of bronze

You say that like its a bad thing.

It's not.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

I am glad to have the ability to do cross-realm challenge dungeons. I tried to get challenge dungeons going on my server initially, but very few were interested. It was almost impossible just to put a group together, much less get people who were geared and prepared. I do intend to encourage challenge modes on my server with the things I have learned doing them with cross-realm groups. I'm not just running with stacked groups cross-server. Some are not ideal comps and just people wanting to try them out.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I generally have no issue with the xrealm aspect of it, I think it's great. However, I currently have an issue with realm transfers, and leaderboards and realm firsts. Specifically, my server has a number of realm top scores held by absolutely no one on the realm. To me, this kind of goes against the spirit of the realm leaderboard.

I think if you want to realm transfer, then realistically you should be giving up all top scores. Second, I do think realm firsts probably should be earned by at least 3/5 folks from the realm. That just is in the spirit of a group of players doing group content. And I understand this is hard to manage, but perhaps there just shouldn't be realm firsts for challenge modes if it can't be properly controlled to really have some sort of integrity to it.

So, IMO server transfers should strike your times. And if you were the only person from the realm with a time, then your group's time is struck from the leaderboard for that realm. Now, players keep their achieves, just the leaderboard gets cleaned up.
Edited by Firestyle on 2/11/2013 8:37 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]