Upgrading my Dell XPS

86 Blood Elf Mage
Alright for all you techies, I need help confirming if I am making wise decisions or wasting money on these upgrades.

Current specs are:
'Intel Core i7 965 @ 3.2GHz'(water cooled)
'8GB(2x4) of 1600MHz Corsair RAM'
'EVGA 680GTX FTW 4GB'
'320GB HDD'-can't recall speed!
One of those Dell XPS chassis so space shouldn't be an issue...
...and a motherboard from 2009, Dell model.

Desired specs:
'Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)' @ 214 USD
'CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600Mhz' @ 95 USD
Keeping the video card obviously.
'Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F360GBGS-BK 2.5" 360GB SATA III SSD' @ 319 USD
Chassis will remain the same obviously.
'ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard' @ 249 USD

I believe my cooling is adequate as is and same with my power supply as a lot of this is newer iterations of tech--typically meaning very controlled power consumption. I can double-check if need be but it's sort of a pain so I'd rather not if I don't have to. x)

Tell me what you think guys! <3
Edited by Amâya on 2/5/2013 11:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
34 Blood Elf Paladin
Looks solid, but why not just get a few more pieces to build a new system? I was going to use an older case for my Sabertooth Z77 but ended up going new because I wanted stuff like front USB 3.0 ports and such.

Also, unless you have a ton of huge games, you'd probably be fine with a 240-256GB SSD.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Mage
Looks solid, but why not just get a few more pieces to build a new system? I was going to use an older case for my Sabertooth Z77 but ended up going new because I wanted stuff like front USB 3.0 ports and such.

Also, unless you have a ton of huge games, you'd probably be fine with a 240-256GB SSD.

Game list on my system as is:
DMC
CS:GO
Terraria
Minecraft
Black Ops II
WoW
GW2
LoL
Diablo III
Starcraft II

159GB of 279(hum... might actually have smaller than a 320 HDD)

What I am intending to install for the first half of this year:
Battlefield 3
Dead Space 3
Bioshock Infinite
Aliens Colonial Marines
Tomb Raider
Sim City
Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm

I'm going to be pretty tight on space ultimately unless I want to constantly shift my games around.

And I could really care less about the USB function and such. I'm purely concerned with gaming performance and space. All that can come later if I feel a need. I am really new to this so I don't want to overwhelm myself.
Edited by Amâya on 2/5/2013 11:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Mage
Basically my goal is to run GW2 and Elder Scrolls Online maxed out at a constant 60FPS.

My video card can definitely do it. The biggest question mark was my motherboard--I don't entirely trust Dell's hardware and the fact it hasn't had a BIOS update since '09(before 64-bit got big) bothers me.

Getting the rest of the components just to add some more raw power to the entire equation while I was at it. WAS tempted to get an i7 3770K @ 3.5GHZ but read that the the extra cores isn't that great for gaming--a waste of money ultimately.
Edited by Amâya on 2/5/2013 1:19 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]