Tanking is Only Fun When...

100 Tauren Warrior
Okay everyone, this is intended to be a serious thread with a serious question behind it. Is tanking, as it is in the game, fun?

Now, obviously this would greatly depend on the person and that person's experience with the game. There are classic players that, without going to one extreme or the other with the rose tinted glasses either loved tanking in Classic, or hated.

That is not what I'm asking. Everyone has their own flavor that they love, for some, it was Classic, for others, it was BC, Wrath, Cata, or what-have-you.

The question itself isn't easily answered because we've got so many variables WITHIN a tier or expansion, be it raids or 5-mans.

For myself, who was indeed a classic raid tank, I feel tanking was at it's best whenever the people you're running with understand exactly what it is you have to do, and do their part to help. the method in which I tank takes a back seat. Be it the Warrior's insane ability to control the fight with stuns, or the DK's ability to actively mitigate damage.

Because for me, the raid fight or the dungeon boss never mattered. As a heavy pugger, it was all about the players I had with me. The quality of THE GROUP itself makes or breaks the run for me. The method wasn't important at that point. I'm not talking about the run as a whole, I'm talking about the act of tanking itself.

If I have to get outside my "comfort zone" to catch up to the dps that wants to get in and out of the raid/dungeon as fast as possible, then tanking in and of itself, becomes a chore. Suddenly the role that I LOVE to do becomes my worst enemy as I struggle to keep a pace that allows my CDs to be up by the next pull so aggro isn't everywhere.

I have genuinely found that a bad group will make me hate my own class/role.

_______

But then you get that good group. I'm not talking about that group that "just went smoothly", either. I'm talking about that group that restores my hope for the playerbase of the game.

That run where lots of things go wrong, but nothing bad happens. The run where the Hunter see's that pat coming, and CC's it long before it's in range for me to leap to. Meanwhile, the DPS warrior is interrupting as much as I do. That run where the healer sees that "Oh Crap" moment 20 or 30 seconds before !@#$ hits the fan, and pops his healing CDs. That run where EVERYONE is just stellar at their class.

Then, I LOVE tanking. The act of tanking. Because when the DPS and the healer are genuinely trying to be good at their role/class, then I actually care about what happens to them, and I feel renewed vigor in my role as a tank to lead and protect them through whatever dungeon we're running.

Then I feel like a true protector.
Edited by Stoneblade on 2/5/2013 6:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
It's fun when everyone lets me do my job as painless as possible

Course I like those times of emergency, sometimes
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
I rarely tank outside of raids.

I never tank old content.

In 5 mans ill tank for guildies/friends but about 7/10 times I random I get mad and leave.

I enjoy tanking, I don't enjoy soloing a heroic while the healer puts a hot on me every other pull and the DPS do 30k.
Edited by Ðemolition on 2/5/2013 7:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
02/05/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Ðemolition
I enjoy tanking, I don't enjoy soloing a dungeom while the healer puts a hot on me every other pull and the DPS do 30k.

We all know that pain

But valor won't cap itself as fast as dungeons
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Scenarios are actually good. For DPS you can actually queue for both and about after the second scenario the heroic will be ready. I learned that yesterday.

But I do dungeons if I go alone because they give me 2 extra chances to get someone whos decent
Edited by Ðemolition on 2/5/2013 7:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
02/05/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Ðemolition
Scenarios are actually good. For DPS you can actually queue for both and about after the second scenario the heroic will be ready. I learned that yesterday.

Wait so you mean, for example, I'm queue'ing as DPS for Endless Springs in LFR, and the queue is 45 minutes, right, I can queue as a tank in a dungeon, assuming the dungeon takes about let's say 45 minutes, will the LFR be near ready or be ready when I get out?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
02/05/2013 07:13 PMPosted by Sedori

Wait so you mean, for example, I'm queue'ing as DPS for Endless Springs in LFR, and the queue is 45 minutes, right, I can queue as a tank in a dungeon, assuming the dungeon takes about let's say 45 minutes, will the LFR be near ready or be ready when I get out?

Yup. I learned you could queue up for both a few weeks ago.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I COULD'VE BEEN DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE ALL ALONG

also sorry for derailing your thread Stone
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I COULD'VE BEEN DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE ALL ALONG

also sorry for derailing your thread Stone

I'm pretty sure it pauses the queue when you're in an instance but there ya go.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
To be honest, tanking is boring when everything goes right and everyone does their job. I like LFD because people screw up and I have to try to fix it - plus the dungeons are easy enough that you can usually survive. Raiding is a completely different story.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
The queue wont come up mid scenario, but if you queue for a heroic and then instant queue two scenarios, the heroic is ready a couple minutes after the scenario.

I don't know exactly how it works but we did it as ele/ret/fury monday
Edited by Ðemolition on 2/5/2013 7:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
02/05/2013 07:26 PMPosted by Druimeister
To be honest, tanking is boring when everything goes right and everyone does their job. I like LFD because people screw up and I have to try to fix it - plus the dungeons are easy enough that you can usually survive. Raiding is a completely different story.

You kinda missed my point entirely, I think.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/05/2013 07:35 PMPosted by Stoneblade

not really .. it's his opinion.

You find tanking fun when you get a good group .. for me tanking is fun when I have something to do.

tanking easy boss or easy content = boring for me. I like to tank when there's a difference between me and the random cone. Hence why I tank progression, but go dps when bosses are on farm .. and only tank when our 2 current tanks are not handling something ..

so yeh .. tanking in itself is fun. But some moments are more engaging than the others.

For example my favourite fight to tank on this tier is Spirit Kings .. simply because there's a LOT of things going on .. that's what makes tanking fun, imo.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Read my first post harder. I like tanking when things go bad, and the group is good enough to recover from it. Not when it's a smooth run.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
not sure what your point is, friend ..

"You find tanking fun when you get a good group" .. it's pretty much the same thing as: " I like tanking when things go bad, and the group is good enough to recover from it. Not when it's a smooth run."

but .. whatever .. not sure what the point of the thread is, tbh.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid

There was only 1 point in there? It was like 10 paragraphs long. Maybe I didn't get every single syllable but I got most of it... mostly.
Edited by Druimeister on 2/5/2013 11:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
For me, I don't .... really care that much who's with me, honestly. If I'm tanking a raid, then I just need a solid lead tank to tell me what to do. In a dungeon, I kinda just pretend I'm soloing it.

Tanking is fun, for me, when I feel like I'm smarter than the boss. Like he's going all-out trying to kill me, and I'm one step ahead of him. I love active mitigation for this reason.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I personally think we're doing pretty well in the HP department.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Tanking, as it is, is fun.

Personally I preferred trying to get threat, but a combination of what we have now, with dps stats giving both dps and tank stats (been this way for druids since forever but now strength gives parry and whatnot) I think that would be the best, so we could struggle to gain threat, but when we gear up we don't have to choose between better mitigation or better threat, we get both.

I also believe, that this allows for blizzard to erase plate tank gear, or more simply gear with dodge and parry on it, so all melee share gear, just like all casters share gear.

And stuff.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Nothing beats the feeling when the idiot dps with the super ilvl equip and a big mouth pulls too much aggro and gets the whole pug killed except the tank and healer...or just tank. And it becomes last man standing AND tank survives...especially as a rez-less warrior tank. hehe
This is why 5-mans are my game.
The part I hate is low level tanking, and a dps with a few boa's complains that the tank is too slow, but finds out the hard way it's because the healer is low mana.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]