What race is superior in the Mage class?

90 Blood Elf Mage
A friend of mine, curious about WoW asked me this, and I couldn't give him a reply, because I didn't know. Since all races can be mages, besides Tauren, I think the question is subjective. But what do you think?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Depends on what you're wanting to do.

PvE - Pandaren for the most part, extra 300 int from food.
Troll for Horde. Haste buff OP.
Worgen if you're strictly playing Fire.

PvP - I believe Forsaken are ranked up there right now, with Humans always being an obvious choice for hit bonus/Every Man For Himself

Cosmetics? That's up to you.
Edited by Çarnis on 2/5/2013 7:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Best for PvE dps Horde - Troll > Pandaren (if you eat 300food) > Goblin/Orc/Undead > Belf

That's only if you're serious about raiding; if he's just casual pick the one that he likes the best because the dps difference is 2% or less.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/05/2013 07:12 PMPosted by Jinrah
That's only if you're serious about raiding; if he's just casual pick the one that he likes the best because the dps difference is 2% or less.

I would say less then 2%. But I do agree with the comment. :)

To the OP: The difference from the racials is less then RNG will swing on a fight. In other words, you really wont even see the effect.
Reply Quote
Best for PvE dps Horde - Troll > Pandaren (if you eat 300food) > Goblin/Orc/Undead > Belf

Which benefits do UD have for PVE?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/05/2013 08:21 PMPosted by Hakuren
Which benefits do UD have for PVE?

They get Touch of the Grave.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=5227
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
If you're only talking about DPS then troll is the clear winner. Usefulness varies between other races depending on the boss. Troll/Panda are the safest picks for horde/alliance IMO
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
It's not blood elf... blood elves arguably have the worst racials in the game. 1% damage reduction only to Arcane (remember when we resisted EVERY magic type except holy?), no static bonus to anything (Crit/Haste/SP/Hit/Mana/HP/Spirit, etc) and a racial that's only useful as an interrupt at close range. It restores, what, 2% of mana now? Back when it restored 6% or more it was useful to healers, at least.

Night elves might be worse, though.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Troll crushes everything for PVE right now.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I'm not going to say it's the best Alliance wise, but I do think Draenei absolutely deserves a mention in this discussion.

Draenei receive a bonus 1% hit.

If you are currently in a position where you are either gemming or reforging in a certain manner in order to reach hit cap, then perhaps you should consider draenei. The extra 1% hit is almost like two bonuses in one: it's much easier to reach hit cap, thus, you end up being able to place those stats into whatever secondary stat is most beneficial to you. For example, worgen is great if you are a fire mage (+1% crit), but what happens when you need to re-spec as frost or fire? As a draenei, it means just shifting that 1% you had allocated for crit and moving it to either haste or mastery.

If you aren't giving up secondary stats to reach hit cap, then perhaps panda would be good, just remember that +300 food is the kind of food you will basically have to get on your own. People don't hand out mogu fish stews like they do banquets.

Also, 1% hit = 340 points you can place elsewhere.

But wait, there's more!

Do you feel squishy? Wish you had better heals or even a way as a mage to heal yourself?

Well, the Naaru have not forgotten the draenei and their gift is a wonderful self-heal ability.

Finally, I like how draenei look while casting, and I think a strong guy in a robe is kinda sexy :P
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Troll. No question.
If you're alliance, then you should go panda. If you're worrying about min maxing, then 300 extra int beats out any other bonus hit or crit that you could get from the other races.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
So the consensus seems to be,

Alliance -> Panda
Horde -> Troll
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
So the consensus seems to be,

Alliance -> Panda
Horde -> Troll

Pretty much. Panda's really not that far behind Troll so if you want to be a fat bear with a cool moustache (and I've pondered it several times myself) on Horde, go for it.

Avoid the elves of either faction... they have a high representation so naturally Blizzard made sure their racials suck so that it wouldn't get out of hand.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Troll is the best and depending on if they allow it... a lot of the bosses in the next patch are "beasts"

[Beast Slaying] : 5% damage bonus when fighting against Beasts
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
If you're not a Gnome, you're doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
BRB race changing to troll.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Troll is the best and depending on if they allow it... a lot of the bosses in the next patch are "beasts"

[Beast Slaying] : 5% damage bonus when fighting against Beasts

GC tweeted that they have no problem with it since those heroic bosses are early in the tier. Still there's 5 of them including bosses with beast adds.

Definitely foresee a mass troll exodus.
Reply Quote
What...what is this strange feeling I'm undergoing?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I <3 undeads, mainly because of Will of Forsaken, which helps out so much with those darn warlock fears and other stuns. I also like the cannibalism option, gives you an extra boost.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]