Holy Paladins should use Off-hand Tomes

90 Blood Elf Paladin
And give us a passive shielding effect while equipping one to compensate for (or even encourage) the lack of armor and block.

I personally don't see why it's necessary for Paladins to have two specs that utilize a shield whilst we are lacking a spec that allows us to carry a Libram.

C/D Keep bumped if you support the idea.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Eh. Paladins were the original front line, get in your face Healers. It was actually one of the main reasons for the creation of Azerothian Paladins, specifically the Silver Hand.

So them using a shield makes sense.

I would much rather we get actual Librams then just pretending off hands are Librams and making do.

Blizzards promises of vanity Librams seem to have ended with one solitary PVP belt.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Touche. But in their current state Holy Paladins aren't exactly front line healers either. As I expressed in another topic; if Holy Paladins were to ever play like Warrior Priests from WAR, I will gladly accept having to use a shield.

But in their current state; if given the choice between pretending to be a front line healer and pretending to carry a Libram, I will always choose the latter.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I support this. Altho there are really not that many Spirit OH at any given point in time.

MOAR SPIRIT AXES!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I support this. Altho there are really not that many Spirit OH at any given point in time.

MOAR SPIRIT AXES!

Too true. Though I would expect this to change should this idea ever be implemented.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think that casting WoG as Ret makes you pull out a libram and raise your weapon into the air, like you're cheering, then the normal animation happens with a small flare of light coming out of you.

That'd be awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/05/2013 07:50 PMPosted by Arcilles
And give us a passive shielding effect while equipping one to compensate for (or even encourage) the lack of armor and block.

No. Paladins have always carried a shield. It is a core icon of the Paladin healer. They already took away our use of Judgment. I don't want to walk around looking like plated priest (regardless of our commonalities) I want to look like the BA healers that we are. And regardless of whether we are believed to be front line, or more importantly whether it is viable for us to be front line, Blizzard wants us to remain there. Our melee hits wouldn't refund mana, etc. (Regardless of how useless that is right now with the EF bug) if they didn't consider us capable of the front lines.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I still want to know why we don't have visible librams on our character models.

At the very least it would set us apart, visually, from nearly identical dks and warriors.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/07/2013 05:20 AMPosted by Ceresc

No. Paladins have always carried a shield. It is a core icon of the Paladin healer. They already took away our use of Judgment. I don't want to walk around looking like plated priest (regardless of our commonalities) I want to look like the BA healers that we are. And regardless of whether we are believed to be front line, or more importantly whether it is viable for us to be front line, Blizzard wants us to remain there. Our melee hits wouldn't refund mana, etc. (Regardless of how useless that is right now with the EF bug) if they didn't consider us capable of the front lines.

I find this both an ironic and humorous conclusion as, unless I am very much mistaken, no Paladin in Warcraft III ever used a Shield yet they all carried a Libram in their off-hand. And I fail to see how the fact that Uther never used a shield made him look any less like a battle healer. The same goes for the Warrior Priests of WAR.

The visual of a Paladin carrying a Libram in their off hand while wielding a Mace in the other is far more iconic than shields have ever been for Paladins. Further emphasizing the irony that we have two specs that utilize shields yet not one that utilizes a Libram.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I find this both an ironic and humorous conclusion as, unless I am very much mistaken, no Paladin in Warcraft III ever used a Shield yet they all carried a Libram in their off-hand. And I fail to see how the fact that Uther never used a shield made him look any less like a battle healer. The same goes for the Warrior Priests of WAR.

The visual of a Paladin carrying a Libram in their off hand while wielding a Mace in the other is far more iconic than shields have ever been for Paladins. Further emphasizing the irony that we have two specs that utilize shields yet not one that utilizes a Libram.

Well then, I guess its a good thing this is World of Warcraft and not Warcraft III. Being that I, as well as a majority of the player base these days, have never even looked at Warcraft III let alone played it. Paladins carrying Librams may have been iconic for Warcraft III but Paladins in WoW are iconic for their mace and shield.

Case in point, my raid leader won't even let me roll priority on off-hands because "Paladins wear shields, if you want the off-hand, gear your priest." This view is quite typical too. My RL in DS wouldn't let me roll on the off-hand from Ultraxion. My RL in Firelands didn't even know Paladins could use off-hands. And in wrath my RL wouldn't let me roll priority either. That is four different raid groups/guilds on 3 different realms that told me no, Paladins wear shields. Either I have some really bad luck, or the community at large see the iconic Paladin in a shield, not a libram.

On a personal note, to me, Librams look like "oh no someone protect me!" caster relics and a shield looks like, "I will bash you in the face while I heal my comrades, and laugh while I protect myself".
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In pve, if a 489 tome drops, and you are using a 471 blue shield, why not
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
02/08/2013 07:21 AMPosted by Sinodin
In pve, if a 489 tome drops, and you are using a 471 blue shield, why not

As a Paladin, I do not have priority on that item. First it is offered to Monks, Priests and Druids and only if they do not need it, is it offered to the Shaman and I.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

Well then, I guess its a good thing this is World of Warcraft and not Warcraft III. Being that I, as well as a majority of the player base these days, have never even looked at Warcraft III let alone played it. Paladins carrying Librams may have been iconic for Warcraft III but Paladins in WoW are iconic for their mace and shield.

Case in point, my raid leader won't even let me roll priority on off-hands because "Paladins wear shields, if you want the off-hand, gear your priest." This view is quite typical too. My RL in DS wouldn't let me roll on the off-hand from Ultraxion. My RL in Firelands didn't even know Paladins could use off-hands. And in wrath my RL wouldn't let me roll priority either. That is four different raid groups/guilds on 3 different realms that told me no, Paladins wear shields. Either I have some really bad luck, or the community at large see the iconic Paladin in a shield, not a libram.

On a personal note, to me, Librams look like "oh no someone protect me!" caster relics and a shield looks like, "I will bash you in the face while I heal my comrades, and laugh while I protect myself".

The reason they do that is because there aren't any offhands worthy of the Paladin, which I think is the point of this thread. As others have said, since WoW is based off WCIII Lore, to bad you didn't play it but they used Librams, that's how it was. Blizzard needs to just make it useful again to get back to the Paladin feel. Then you're uber smart RLs would let you roll on librams could they would be useful again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just because you can use something, doesn't mean you should use something.

As current, anything but a shield is a sub-optimal decision because of the loss of AC. This is highlighted by the fact that LFR/Sha don't award non-shield offhands to us, because they aren't the right choice.

As for us, not wading into battle, with the changes to mana pool size, i stay in the thick of things as much as feasible using Insight to maximum advantage. We're REWARDED for being up close and personal with extra mana regen. And if we're going to be that close, I like having a "door" in front of me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Okay, this genuinely gave me a small headache reading but despite that I'm going to be nice.

Did you consider the possibility that the reason non of your raid leaders let you roll on Off-Hands has absolutely NOTHING to do with the aesthetics of it and had everything to do with the fact that Off-Hands are already competed for by Priests, Druids and Monks without throwing Paladins into the mix?

Did you consider the possibility that the reason you've been told "Paladins use shields" had nothing to do with aesthetics of it but rather the huge armor loss Paladin's sustain by not using intellect shields which are rolled on exclusively by Holy Paladins?

If a Shield is so iconic for Paladins then I welcome you to find one single Official Artwork by Blizzard where a Paladin is depicted with a shield. And during your hunt take note of how many of these depictions show a Paladin holding a Libram in their off-hand.

I would welcome the argument that off hands are not feasible for some technical or mechanical reason but to argue that Shields are more iconic on Paladins than Librams when Librams have been part of the Paladin image since WCIII (possibly even before) and almost every single official and even unofficial depictions of Paladins feature Librams over shields is almost as ridiculous as it is moronic.

Also for future reference; anecdotes =/= facts. Fruit for thought.
Edited by Arcilles on 2/8/2013 2:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Clerics use shields. We are not clerics. BUT, this is also Blizzard's game... so, ya.

This is something that, for the sake of aesthetics, could be handled by devs changing some transmog restrictions for us. Not likely to happen any time soon, though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Did you consider the possibility that the reason non of your raid leaders let you roll on Off-Hands has absolutely NOTHING to do with the aesthetics of it and had everything to do with the fact that Off-Hands are already competed for by Priests, Druids and Monks without throwing Paladins into the mix?

Did you consider the possibility that the reason you've been told "Paladins use shields" had nothing to do with aesthetics of it but rather the huge armor loss Paladin's sustain by not using intellect shields which are rolled on exclusively by Holy Paladins?

Precisely my point. Thanks for clearing that up for me. However, Resto Shamans and Elemental Shamans also roll on Intellect shields.

But frankly, I'm not quite sure why you would want to run around looking like every other caster class out there. Whether you believe it to be iconic or not. This is not Warcraft III. This is World of Warcraft. There is a difference, changes were made. I don't need to look at pictures of the past, or stroll down memory lane.

From the moment I created my paladin, it was made known, ingrained in me and supported throughout the masses that Paladins use shields. To use any other off-hand was shameful, whether that off-hand had better stats or not. Blizzard will continue to optimize shields around paladins and shamans and continue to optimize off-hands around every other caster class.

You would be much better off requesting the ability to transmog shields into off-hands.
v

02/08/2013 02:35 PMPosted by Vlada
This is something that, for the sake of aesthetics, could be handled by devs changing some transmog restrictions for us. Not likely to happen any time soon, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/08/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Ceresc
But frankly, I'm not quite sure why you would want to run around looking like every other caster class out there. Whether you believe it to be iconic or not. This is not Warcraft III. This is World of Warcraft. There is a difference, changes were made. I don't need to look at pictures of the past, or stroll down memory lane.

I would argue; saying World of Warcraft is not Warcraft III is the same as saying it would be okay if Lord of the Rings Online replaced Gandalf's offhand sword with a shotgun since it isn't The Lord of the Rings itself, but at this point I can see continuing this discussion would just lead to the conclusion that this is little more than a difference of opinion.

You would be much better off requesting the ability to transmog shields into off-hands.
v

This topic actually stemmed from the question as to why hasn't Blizzard done exactly this yet since they've been stating since before Wrath that they want Paladins to have Librams as a visual factor.

To which my answer was; transmoging a shield into a Libram would eventually lead to awkward situation where your Paladin blocks an attack with a book. Not I would mind personally but it seems Blizzard does or I assume they would have done so by now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/08/2013 06:40 PMPosted by Arcilles
Not I would mind personally but it seems Blizzard does or I assume they would have done so by now.

Not quite, it's Blizzard :P

Transmog is still new in this game. They are just now getting to some of the biggest issues with xmog. Something like being able to xmog shields to other offhands may have never really been in consideration to begin with. But, now I'm assuming. Never hurts to ask them and see what they say.

Anyway, I'd love to block attacks with a libram like a bawss. Read or die.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Transmog is still new in this game. They are just now getting to some of the biggest issues with xmog. Something like being able to xmog shields to other offhands may have never really been in consideration to begin with. But, now I'm assuming. Never hurts to ask them and see what they say.

Anyway, I'd love to block attacks with a libram like a bawss. Read or die.

Which leads to the next problem of getting a blue response. As far as I know the only time a blue ever posts in a suggestion post is to acknowledge that the topic has been moved to another forum.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]