Frustrated with monk healing. Wall of Text :(

90 Pandaren Monk
First, I'd like to say, I absolutely love healing, I healed Heroic Modes on my Shaman happily, no problems in Cata, then I took a break, because of work. I came back and said to myself "Hey self, forget leveling your 85s level that cute Monk Pandaren you've always wanted ever since you first saw it". So, I did.

Now, this is where the frustration comes in and I need help. I thought I understood monk healing, but I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'm not geared enough? I don't know, but in LFRs on my Shaman I was used to being top heals and I've been told by a couple of people "Mistweavers are the FILLER healer, so don't expect the top heals". That's completely fine, I'm okay with that, the part the frustrates me is I'm not even close to 3rd heals or 4th, I'm the worst person on LFR except the guy that goes AFK or does DPS instead.

I've been reading like crazy, trying to understand the essay on Noxxic, asking people what they'd do (only if I have proof they're decent at mistweaver) only to find out that...well it's not helping. Alright, now that we have that out of the way I'll try and explain what I do and how I heal. This may be jumbled, I've been trying to swap it up a lot, because I'm doing something wrong.

1. I'd like to say that for some reason, I can't heal anything but bosses, whenever we just have simple mobs unless I spam my mana, I don't heal anything and I'm sure a tank could beat my healing if he tried.

2. When I do LFR boss healing, this is what I try to do, I put my statue down, then I Jab x 5, Tiger Palm x 1, then Black Out Kick x 2. Which usually puts me at top heals for about the first 4 seconds of the fight, then if I continue any of that, I'm left in the dust, so I'm going to assume that's wrong and It's only for very light damage like trash or something.

Then, once I give up on that, I of course make sure to use Chi Wave on C/D and Keep Casting my Renewing mists on different targets just to spread it about, using uplift if quite a few people have taken damage tied with thunder focus tea if possible. I also use enveloping mist to get Mana Tea if possible, because it seems to almost always proc some. I use Surging mist if someone is really hurting, but do my best to use Enveloping on them if they need it instead, because of the mana cost. I use revival when there is a massive amount of Raid damage. During this I occasionally run back and dps a bit, because I feel like I"m supposed to, but it doesn't feel quite right. Also, while all of that is happening, I keep my soothing mists on someone as much as possible.

This doesn't work, I'm always last heals this way.

3. Now, before I was given tips, I did a bit better on healing, usually averaging about 3rd or so on heals rarely doing the best in LFR, but I did manage it once or twice, that could have just been with bad people. Either way, when I did it that way, I wasn't dpsing. I kept my statue down, soothing mists on the tank, chi wave on C/D, renewing mists on as many targets as possible, and used Uplift a LOT, only using Enveloping to pop Mana Tea and Surging to Save someone from death. Using Revival during heavy raid damage.

That worked decently for me, except that I still didn't heal well at all on just regular trash, only bosses. Also, it drained my mana beyond belief. I was OOM half way through the fight it felt even when I was tying to be mana conscious, I suppose that could just be, because of gear, I'm honestly not sure. I glyphed Uplift, because I felt handicapped having to fight for Chi to use on Chi Wave / Enveloping / Uplift.

--Continued in Comments--
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So, again I'm extremely sorry for the wall of text, but here are the main things I need to know and I will take any advice you give me.

TL;DR? please start here and possibly read my Rotations from above.
1. Is dps required, if I skip it, will it greatly change my healing outcome

2. Am I dpsing wrong? How long do I dps, do I always have to except when I'm casting other heals?

3. If you don't have to dps what's a very good rotation for aoe healing, I love aoe healing.

4. Should I feel silly that I'm doing so bad? What's the current healer ranks? I was reading trade earlier (yes, I know not the best place to get info), but someone was asking RSHam or MW and the guys were like, def RSham, MW are so broken right now. Is that true? Or just trade silliness. I'd honestly really love to know the current break down of which healer is doing the best, to worst in 10mans.

5. If you look at my gear, is the 2nd rotation I'm mentioning fine, I'm just doing bad, because of gear?

6. If the answer to number 5 was yes, fantastic, now please tell me, how do I heal trash effectively, will it just be spamming Surging Mists until oom, because my gear isn't up to snuff yet, or is it just really hard for MW to do good trash heals?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, I've tried to figure it out on my own for a couple of weeks and it's driving me nuts :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/31/2013 09:39 PMPosted by Rooney
Is dps required, if I skip it, will it greatly change my healing outcome

You don't dps to heal, you use jab to gain more chi to do more healing. The rest isn't really a great source of healing unless you're in a fight with a damage multiplier.

Aoe healing is uplift, chi burst/wave, spinning crane kick for stacks (sparingly), and the occasional chi torpedo.

Also spec into Xuen, which is a good smart healing cooldown, or chi torpedo, instead of rushing jade. Power strikes is also good. Better than ascension or the other crappy talent.

Get more spirit. Get more crit. Drop as much mastery as you possibly can.
Edited by Keirisonis on 1/31/2013 10:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
First things first...your gear is rough to say the least...missing 8 enchants and still having green shoulders, I feel like you're going to run into SO many mana problems it will seem like no matter what you do its wrong. Once that improves you can get to the haste breakpoint, and much more Spirit...you'll notice a very large increase in your throughput.

Secondly, LFR healing is all about snipe healing. They load you into a tuned down encounter with 6-7 healers...whoever has the fastest fingers is going to win the meter battle. Unless everyone is failing horribly at the mechanics, there simply isnt enough damage going out to justify that many healers. Also healing meters are a horrible judge of usefulness. Judge yourself more by "did anyone die" mentality.

As for a rotation, it sounds like you're starting to get the hang of it, but you should almost always start a fight with a full chi bar. Casting renewing mist while everyone is getting to the instance, set up, waiting on the queue, etc. It wont be doing any healing per say but it will be building your chi so you can run straight in and either uplift/chi burst/chi wave/Blackout kick etc. And the whole time you're building that initial chi, you're mana regen will be at out of combat rates.

Having Uplift glyphed if you're struggling with mana isnt a good idea imo, its great for spamming the AoE heal, but terrible for mana management. Another good thing is to take Celerity with Chi Torpedo. That means you can torpedo through the stack, healing everyone and damaging everything in your path 3x, and they have a reduced charge time. And its free cost. This is great for trash packs, or OOM situations.

I'm also a big advocate of staying in melee range at all times. If you havent already, look up how to write mouse-over macros and do that for every single one of your healing spells. That way you can have the boss as your target the whole time thus throwing out heals (keeping the blackout kick buff is important here) via eminence, you can immediately jab when you need Chi, all the while healing whoever needs to be healed. You dont need to be DPSing the whole time either or you'll go OOM very quickly. Starting the fight with a full chi bar will help you do this, if you keep ascension you'll have 5 chi when you get to the boss, Tiger palm once, Blackout kick twice...then you just need to do 1 blackout kick and 1 tiger palm every 28 seconds or so. no more, no less is required. Then as long as you have the boss targeted your auto attacks will throw out tiny smart heals all fight long. (unless you're channeling soothing mist or drinking unglyphed mana tea).

AoE consists of Chi Burst/renewing mist & Uplift for me. I use Spinning Crane Kick on a few trash packs if they are small/quick, or its great for healing during Lei Shi "Get Away" ability (as long as you're using the Glyph for ScK). But way to costly to use it all the time. If I know a big damage phase is coming up, I try to have 4 Chi and stand in melee range...Big damage comes in I cast Chi Burst on the tank so I hit myself, all melee, and tank with it...as well as damage the boss a bit. so if i have 4 chi before the damage phase (and TfT is on cooldown due to previous use) Chi Burst, Jab, Chi Burst, Jab, Chi Burst (you wont be able to do this after 5.2 drops though so it might be a bad habit to get into now). And if the melee are still low I find Chi Brew talent good for that situation...instantly 2 more Chi Bursts or Uplifts if I've used TfT. Its the same rotation when I do uplifts. Right before a high damage part I try to have Renewing mist spread at all times, but just before the damage pop TfT to spread it even further, and get back to full Chi...then Uplift, Jab, Uplift, Jab, Uplift...then Chi Brew if things are still low and uplift 2 more times. You can also replace any of the Jabs with Expel Harm for the chi generator...its cheaper, but has a cooldown.

Other than that, good luck getting used to it. :)
Edited by Mokosoo on 2/1/2013 4:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Talent choices are basically almost all "wrong".

Toooo much mastery, get rid of it

Too low spirit and crit.

Lack of full gems/enchants

Fistweaving is just meleeing and keeping this buffs from tiger palm and BoK up while auto attacking. Not trying to keep attacking. Usually mostly for low damage periods

Using TFT correctly on each fight is major

Learn to use healing sphere in some instances as a single target heal,

The rest is just you finding your play style and practice. Monks have a bit of a higher learning curve than traditional healers
Reply Quote
As others have said, your spirit is really low. I would change your pure intel gems into Purified Imperial Amethyst (spir/intel). When I started healing in LFR on my monk I had about 9k spirit.
Reply Quote
I suggest you retire your Monk healer when 5.2 arrives. It will only get worse.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
If you are looking to top healing as a monk in LFR then you need to use a completely different healing strategy than you would normally. The easiest way to top healing in LFR is to not be in one with a Disc Priest or Paladin, basically anyone with shields. =)

Your best "snipe" heals are Renewing Mists and Eminence. So, basically all you want to do is cast renewing mist on cooldown then just melee/bok/tp/jab.

The other big way to top healing in LFR is to slam your revival button damn near on cooldown so its up 2-3 times a fight. You basically mash it when the raid takes damage even if they are all near full health.

The big thing I want to stress with this is that, healing like this in anything but the easy LFR's, you'll be absolutely terrible. Keep that in mind if you try doing anything harder.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the write-up, Mokosoo.

You've more-or-less validated my method for MW healing.
There have been a few times where I figured I must be doing something wrong. It's nice to see that with improved practice I'll be able to get the job done on a regular basis.

OP, As others have noted, Spirit and Crit are your friends. Embrace them at every opportunity. FWIW, I really didn't feel like I was functional in a raid environment, from beginning to end, until I had 8K+ spirit.

Even now with over 10K spirit, I'm finding it very easy to go in overly enthusiastic and set myself up for a difficult time later in the fight when things get tense.

Good luck out there.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As no one has mentioned chi torpedo here would like to suggest that you mess around with this spell. If you press S and chi torpedo you can roll backwards. In the melee group? S-torepdo back to the ranged and torpedo right back to the same spot. In the ranged group torpedo in and S-torpedo out. This spell has no DR so quite nice in 25 mans.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 09:38 PMPosted by Rooney
I also use enveloping mist to get Mana Tea if possible, because it seems to almost always proc some.

Here's a small issue; you don't understand how Mana Tea works. It's not a random proc. You get one stack of mana tea for every four Chi you spend, guaranteed. (You can "crit" and get two stacks of mana tea.)

4 Chi => 1 (or 2) Mana Tea
1 Mana Tea => 4% of your mana

You don't have to worry about your chi expenditure adding up to exactly four or anything. Say you start the fight (0 Chi spent) and immediately do Tiger Palm -> Blackout Kick -> Blackout Kick; you've spent 5 Chi now, so you proc a Mana Tea. Then you do 2 Chi Waves; you've now spent 9 Chi, so you proc another Mana Tea. You can see how this works.

2. Am I dpsing wrong? How long do I dps, do I always have to except when I'm casting other heals?

First, make sure you understand the buff Serpent's Zeal. Without Serpent's Zeal active, your auto-attacks don't cause healing. Only your special abilities like Jab and BOK do. With SZ active, your auto-attacks also cause healing, giving you a source of free healing. This is a pretty good reason to DPS.

DPS healing (Eminence healing) is relatively limited in both power and range. When someone's about to freaking die, Eminence isn't going to cut it, so that's when you cast actual heals.

The other good reason to be DPSing is because Jabbing for Chi is faster and more reliable than using Soothing Mist to "fish" for Chi. This makes it easier to use your Chi-based heals. Jab is not the most efficient way to generate Chi, though, so don't go overboard with it.

In short, for DPSing: Maintain Serpent's Zeal; stand there auto-attacking; Jab only when you need Chi to use your actual heals (or BOK again). Spinning Crane Kick is an option but it uses up a lot of mana, so I don't know how that fits in at level 90.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Not sure I want to read it all, but since I'm topping LFR easily every time I go, except if there is a disc priest knowing what to do, it's really simple for raid healing.

- Renewing Mist on cooldown
- Jab for Chi
- Keep 2 stacks of serpent's zeal up with Blackout Kick
- Keep the armor debuff from Tiger Palm
- Uplift, or Chi Wave if you don't have enough renewing mist up
- Thunder Focus Tear before big aoe to maximize Renewing Mist coverage.
- Use mana tea (glyphed) on cooldown as soon as you have 2+ stacks
- Make sure you are auto-attacking the boss all the time.

That's it.. you learned monk raid healing.

In 25 man it varies a little, you can use chi burst instead of chi wave, and use chi torpedo for quick mana free heals around.
Edited by Komakino on 2/3/2013 11:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
1 empty glyph slot
8 unenchanted items
3 empty sockets in 3 items
Missing Living Steel Belt Buckle

What do you expect? I suppose you don't bring buff food and potions to LFR either?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
1 empty glyph slot
8 unenchanted items

What do you expect? I suppose you don't bring buff food and potions to LFR either?

Thanks for being a wealth of support to someone who is trying to get the hang of their spec!

Honestly, it sounds like you're still getting the hang of a tight rotation. I can't really add too much more to what hasn't been said, but can I recommend spending time in dungeons to get some enchanting mats and some gear? It'll also give you some experience getting a better rotation for your melee heals.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
1 empty glyph slot
8 unenchanted items

And that is usefull how? Seriously if you want to act like a elitist douchebag refrain from posting this crap... you could actually try to help her.

Instead of saying 8 unenchanted items, just tell her hey you got 8 unenchanted item you should enchant your pants with X spellthread and stuff like that.

Seriously, then you elitists are the one blaming people that they don't know the game. HELP them understand not blast them.

OP I hope you get better at healing we need more healers in this game :)
Reply Quote
8 Human Warrior
01/31/2013 09:38 PMPosted by Rooney
I glyphed Uplift, because I felt handicapped having to fight for Chi to use on Chi Wave / Enveloping / Uplift.

You shouldn't be doing this. Outside some mana refreshing mechanics like Gara'jal or something, if you're just looking at LFR and normals, there is really no reason to have this glyphed.

2. When I do LFR boss healing, this is what I try to do, I put my statue down, then I Jab x 5, Tiger Palm x 1, then Black Out Kick x 2. Which usually puts me at top heals for about the first 4 seconds of the fight, then if I continue any of that, I'm left in the dust, so I'm going to assume that's wrong and It's only for very light damage like trash or something.

You should consider pre-Renewing Misting people before the pulls to generate your chi so you have 5 or 4 chi at the start. Aside from that, Jab is the way you generate chi in the most ideal circumstance which should be 95% of the fights/mechanics. You should refresh Tiger Palm if it drops or even slightly before it drops (there is a buff to Tiger Palm next patch so you should get used to doing this now). You should also be refreshing your serpent Zeal buff before it drops off.

I wrote a little addon that plays a little street fighter noise (Sakura Hadouken) when I have less than 7 seconds of Serpent's Zeal left so I know to refresh it, but any aura frame addon could probably be useful if you prefer to watch a timer tick down (I don't). In any case, this is a bit of passive healing that you are missing out on if you don't do this.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Your gear, gemming and enchanting is horrible. But lets pretend they aren't for a second:

Your ability use is also atrocious.

Use Renewing Mists on cooldown. If a target needs single target healing, use Soothing Mists. Use Thunder Focus Tea to increase the number of Renewing Mists out. When there's a lot of raid damage, use Uplift (Don't glyph it). When you have stacks of Mana Tea, use glyphed tea to regain mana. Surging Mists is for emergencies, so is Life Cocoon. Use Revival as often as it can be effective.

Fistweaving is nice, but it is only a suppliment to normal healing. Use it when you have extra time/chi, or when the boss will take extra damage, or if you have to move a lot or stand in melee.
Edited by Ramayana on 2/7/2013 7:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
MW are so broken right now. Is that true?

Mistweavers are not broken, but they ARE still "in development" in a sense, because they're a new class. There have been, and will continue to be, lots of adjustments and changes made. In addition, a lot of people have no idea how to play MW well, and are much better at playing other classes. So they perceive that this other class is better because they do better with it.

Kungfuwaifu has a great Mistweaving guide, and is one of the people who know what they're doing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]