DK's: Fun or No?

90 Human Warlock
Back in cata, my DK was so fun. I was frost and it was amazing to get those Obliteration crits. But ever since MoP I've heard horrible things about them. So what's the deal, are y'all still fun? D:
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Yes. Still a fast paced and hard hitting playstyle. I'm curious, what bad things have you heard?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Lack of survivability, lack of burst, that blizz gutted the class in MoP.

Stuff I wanted to see if it was real or not.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
RBG/BG Heroes, but lacking some utility to make arenas fun.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
02/01/2013 09:33 AMPosted by Marína
Lack of survivability

Only in PvP, and even then we get by with Necrotic Strike and AMS. Blood as a tank still has good survivability.

lack of burst

Ahahahahahaha. Oh wait, you're serious? Yea...no. Frost still has amazing burst, that has not changed. Unholy...eh, not so much, but that should change come 5.2.

that blizz gutted the class in MoP

Depends what you mean by gutted. For the most part, DK's are one of the least changed classes from Cata to MoP. One thing has changed though: a lot of our RP generation has been stripped away. While this sounds bad, it's really no a big deal. Yes, we generate less RP, but we also use less thanks to Frost Strike's reduced cost and Unholy getting many more Sudden Doom procs. And Blood gets massive amounts of rp from Scent of Blood.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/01/2013 09:42 AMPosted by Karaahl
Lack of survivability

Only in PvP, and even then we get by with Necrotic Strike and AMS. Blood as a tank still has good survivability.

lack of burst

Ahahahahahaha. Oh wait, you're serious? Yea...no. Frost still has amazing burst, that has not changed. Unholy...eh, not so much, but that should change come 5.2.

that blizz gutted the class in MoP

Depends what you mean by gutted. For the most part, DK's are one of the least changed classes from Cata to MoP. One thing has changed though: a lot of our RP generation has been stripped away. While this sounds bad, it's really no a big deal. Yes, we generate less RP, but we also use less thanks to Frost Strike's reduced cost and Unholy getting many more Sudden Doom procs. And Blood gets massive amounts of rp from Scent of Blood.

Yeah, the people who tell me most of this are PvP'ing as Unholy, but I was just wondering on an overall basis. I haven't seen them much in raids, and in BG's there's probably one total on both enemy and my teams combined.

I heard about that RP generation change, it's a shame, but didn't warriors get that same kind of change with their rage? It's like they wanted that form of resource kinda altered.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
I think DK's have the best burst dps as well as the best aoe in the game. We do great on single target and multi target raid bosses. We have great survivability with ams shield, sacrifice pet for 50% of our health back, 20% damage reduction for 12 sec, etc. We have a move speed burst, we can get out of stuns, we can freeze enemies for 6 seconds, we can instantly put 2 dots an all trash at once, 2 interrupts, an execution attack at 35%, and on and on.

I play 2hand frost and it is important to stack haste until around at least 6K to 7K haste. And your weapon damage is of course very important.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
This is the most fun class of any i have played, the only other one even close is Warlock.

As Frost Dualwield, we are as close to a Warlock in Plate gear that you can get.

2h has ginormous crits

DW is constant good damage.

pick one and spec for it and you will do wonderful damage, i am much better at DW than 2H

we have cool gear and can x-mog into great sets, the only ones better might be clothies

In a BG situation we are pretty valuable when played correctly, peels, some CC, great burst and aoe damage etc, we really do well in a BG environment.

In arena we are cannon fodder for the most part, i have very very limited exp in arena, but hardly anyone will say we are great at arena.

I love the class enough that i have 2 DK's, and i hate leveling, but will level another to 80 or 84
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I levelled my Shaman and Paladin to 90 first. Then I started playing this guy who was at 70. It was amazing DPS, I had a great time levelling him 2h Frost dps and Blood off spec for tanking.

Scan the AH for one of the big blue bind on equip MoP two handers - your damage goes thru the roof when you can equip them in your 80's:

http://www.wowhead.com/items=2?filter=qu=3;sl=17;ty=1:5:8;minrl=80;cr=3;crs=1;crv=0

Its been great, his pure damage is so much fun compared to my hybrid mains I am used to.

I really enjoy tearing through mobs, the self heals and the utilities - the mechanics of the DK are in a great place right now.

Watch Mike Preach's youtube DK guides for playstyle explanations lots of fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4vfCj4pE3c
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Yes dk's are still a bunch of fun if they weren't fun I doubt many people would still be playing theirs. (pvp wise) Pve we're fine in. Now pvp is another story, we're great at being bg heroes still and great in Rbg's but when it comes to arena dk's are the 1st person to go after almost always. Which we still have poor defensive cd's and mobility. Oh and btw dk's aren't burst they're substained damage.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Unholy DKs aren't about burst. They're about sustained damage and pressure. Frost DKs are the burst spec. Not the best in the game but still good, but yes we have the best cleave.

edit-
Fun? Yes, but can be frustrating sometimes with the lack of mobility and survivability. It's why we're glass cannons.
Edited by Riizil on 2/3/2013 9:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
Unholy DKs aren't about burst. They're about sustained damage and pressure. Frost DKs are the burst spec. Not the best in the game but still good, but yes we have the best cleave.

edit-
Fun? Yes, but can be frustrating sometimes with the lack of mobility and survivability. It's why we're glass cannons.

DK's are definitely the best burst spec in the game. The only time we are not is when maybe 1-2 other classes use all of their cooldowns at the start of a fight. But if you are talking about burst dps on a target switch, no one beats a dk. For example, elegon sparks - i eat these for breakfest lunch and dinner as 2h frost.
Edited by Meanstrike on 2/5/2013 12:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Orc Death Knight
I'm in the process of lvling an old Warrior alt because I've started to lose hope with my DK. I feel like everything I was doing with my DK is done way better on the warrior. I mean they seems to have at least one tool for every situation. I've yet to feel like I just can't do anything on my warrior. Short CD fear breaker and aoe stun is really nice to have. I also hate the fact that if a DK gets Silenced, it negates some key abilities that are "spells" and it's really annoying as a melee class to get Silenced. Correct me if I'm wrong but Warriors don't have this issue. Furthermore, being trained so easily as a DK is another downside and we don't have anything to force a target switch besides AMS if it's a caster train. The kiting is great I admit but the warrior seems way more mobile overall.

Bottom line: As we speak, I'm having more fun on my Warrior than I do on my DK. Yes, I know that 5.1 is a glorious moment for Warriors and I think that 5.2 will be amazing too! The variety of tools which are mostly on short cooldowns and the insane mobility are a big plus.
Edited by Ramoneur on 2/5/2013 1:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
It's the only class I enjoy playing and have leveled to 90. Only other higher level toon is my druid and I get bored leveling him. Playing level 90 premade classes, I noticed in a bg I miss things like path of frost to cross water and to break fall damage. Deathknights just feel right for battlegrounds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Blizzard has now killed dks. There not going to be fun to pvp with in 5.2.
Reply Quote
56 Orc Death Knight
02/05/2013 11:40 PMPosted by Dkasmic
Blizzard has now killed dks. There not going to be fun to pvp with in 5.2.

thats cuz your gear blows
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I'm not 90 yet but Frost 2H is so much fun. I'm getting 60-70k crits. I'm always first in DPS output and total damage. PvPing is fun as well.

I'm glad I rolled DK. So yes, they're fun.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I don't know why but I'm a Dk and I never get targeted, probably becuase of the enormous health boost due to blood presencing and the beginning of the game, and even if do get focused its very hard to kill me in blood presence if i have descretated ground up.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
02/01/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Marína
Back in cata, my DK was so fun. I was frost and it was amazing to get those Obliteration crits. But ever since MoP I've heard horrible things about them. So what's the deal, are y'all still fun? D:

Fun is subjective.

To be honest, the class has changed very little, which has deterred a lot of players. While other classes got newer, cool stuff they choose from their talents or baseline new abilities, all DKs got were baseline spells removed and moved into talent tiers. We lost a lot of signature abilities to this. I can't say much for PvP as I quit it a long time ago, but for the time where I did find myself PvPing in this expansion, survivability was at an all time low.

... the class needs to feel more Death Knight-ish, like it did in Wrath, where the aesthetics were pleasing,a nd the overall theme of each spec was stunning.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]