Hit/Exp As a tank?

90 Draenei Warrior
Hey there all, just hoping that a few of my tanking brethren could help me out. Seems today that everyone out there is preaching 7.5% hit/exp cap for tanks. I just re-gemmed/reforged to cap it, but I'm missing my mastery already :( I am just living in the past by thinking that hit/exp are for DPSers and that avoidance is for tanks. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
More rage allows you to use Shield Block and Shield Barrier reliably, which reduces your damage taken. Hit/Exp are your only stats that directly increase your rage generation, so if you want more rage and feel that you're pressing your buttons properly, then they're what you go for.

7.5% expertise is not a cap for tanks (it is for DPS because you're standing behind the boss and are not subject to the parry table). The only real caps for tanking are 7.5% hit and 15% expertise. I see a few srsbsns raiding Warriors who aim for the hard caps, but they're definitely not mandatory like they are for Paladins or Monks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
What she said.

Re: capping expertise, it's a comfort thing, mostly. The idea is that you get enough to reliably manage SBlock/SBarrier. There's no particular point between 0% and 15% that you should aim for - eventually you'll get "enough", and be able to pick more freely between your stats.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
More rage allows you to use Shield Block and Shield Barrier reliably, which reduces your damage taken. Hit/Exp are your only stats that directly increase your rage generation, so if you want more rage and feel that you're pressing your buttons properly, then they're what you go for.

7.5% expertise is not a cap for tanks (it is for DPS because you're standing behind the boss and are not subject to the parry table). The only real caps for tanking are 7.5% hit and 15% expertise. I see a few srsbsns raiding Warriors who aim for the hard caps, but they're definitely not mandatory like they are for Paladins or Monks.

Yeah the rule of thumb for warriors is more or less "If you feel your rage regen is fine where it is, don't bother getting more expertise" that's why warriors seem to all have different expertise, where as paladins etc go for 15%

And I love the term soft and hard cap, it's just a cap, Expertise doesn't really diminish value after 7.5% so the term softcap is kinda funny.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I will be honest, I was mistakenly calling it a soft-cap for a LONG time because I did not realize they had changed how expertise worked. I assumed for some reason that bosses had a 15% parry and 7.5% dodge and thus the first 7.5% was worth twice as much as the 2nd 7.5%.

I was corrected on that on the monk forums yesterday.

That is where my confusion came from, anyway. But now I know how it works (and I think it is a bit wonky, but hey).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 11:07 AMPosted by Chuin
I assumed for some reason that bosses had a 15% parry and 7.5% dodge and thus the first 7.5% was worth twice as much as the 2nd 7.5%.

Used to be like that. Didn't mix well with the new active mitigation playstyle, so it got changed.
Reply Quote
62 Night Elf Monk
02/01/2013 09:22 AMPosted by Tailias
7.5% expertise is not a cap for tanks (it is for DPS because you're standing behind the boss and are not subject to the parry table).

This is mostly true, but DKs have some unparryable attacks that do cap at 7.5% exp. I think they're the only ones though, all other tanks cap at 15% (which is hard to get at heroic/LFR gear levels).

edit: posted on wrong character, I dunno if it will let me change it. Oh well, ad hominem is a fallacy anyway.
Edited by Shaulann on 2/1/2013 7:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
This is mostly true, but DKs have some unparryable attacks that do cap at 7.5% exp. I think they're the only ones though, all other tanks cap at 15% (which is hard to get at heroic/LFR gear levels).

This is correct, and really, it's only a "soft cap" insofar as it's where you stop losing as much DPS from it - you never lose mitigation from not having expertise.

DKs, amusingly enough, gear the most like old tanks: Stamina, Mastery, Avoidance, with enough accuracy to hold threat.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
02/01/2013 07:16 PMPosted by Shaulann
all other tanks cap at 15% (which is hard to get at heroic/LFR gear levels).

That's over stated. I've seen mostly lfr/5man geared tanks pushing 12%+ exp while rocking hit cap.

You need that one exp/on use str trinket from H Scholo though.
Edited by Cynbria on 2/1/2013 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm hit and expertise capped in my tanking set which is mostly LFR and heroic blue gear. It just requires lots of 320 expertise gems (and I don't have the Scholo trinket either...might still be using the Ghost Iron Dragonling though--I can't remember if I'm still using that or Lei Shen's Final Orders).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I prefer 15%. Parried Keg Smashes are noticeable. It's never killed me, but I'd rather not run the chance of Shuffle falling off while I get a bad string of rolls getting the Chi back.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/01/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Cynbria
I've seen mostly lfr/5man geared tanks pushing 12%+ exp while rocking hit cap.

12% isn't the exp cap though. It's much more difficult to *actually reach the cap* under 480 or so. Sure you can get close-ish, and it may well be worth your while to do so.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'd like to have 15% expertise, but not quite there yet. currently sitting just over 14%.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys
It's not so much that hit/exp reduce damage taken overall as it is that they offer consistency - that is the ability to better mitigate spike damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]