How I would redo PVP

85 Gnome Mage
To start with, all stuns -- gone. All classes need to be able to fight even when the other guy is fighting back. If removing stun makes them unbalanced, then add strength to bring the strength of that class back up to par.

All silences -- gone. They unbalance PVP since there is no equivalent to "silence" melee players. Also, the different types of silences are unbalanced.

Some CC measures have to remain because they're integral to the class. Warlock fears and Mage frosts and slows, for example. Rogue poisons and saps are in that category and can't really be removed without completely changing the character of the class. Hunter freeze traps and such would stay. Hunter silence, sleep and disorient shots would be gone. Warrior intimidating shout, also gone.

The tradition of PVP here at WOW has been that lightly armored caster classes have to stay away from the more heavily armored melee players to keep alive. But over the years some melee classes have been given mobility skills which make that extremely difficult. It SHOULD be difficult for caster classes to maintain distance, but not extremely so. There needs to be a balance between casters who need range and melee who need to get close. Remember, a melee player doesn't take long to dispose of a caster class once they close the distance.

That being the case, rogue shadow step: gone. Warrior heroic leaps and charges: gone. DK death grip has to stay because it's an integral part of the class, but chains of ice: gone (in pvp). If you're a melee player you don't get to bounce around like that unless it's a skill on a long cooldown.

Naturally there has to be some tinkering with classes that lose these stuns and silences so as to not make them weak. The ultimate goal is that any class should be able, all things being equal in terms of skill and gear, to engage in a fairly even fight with any other class. There should neither be OP classes, like the warriors are now, nor UP (underpowered) classes like the balance druids.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Stuns do not need to be gone, just made not last long (like around one second or under a second). To me "stun" sounds like it was made to stop long casts (looks at the mind control complaint thread)
Edited by Momoka on 2/2/2013 5:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
And thats why you dont work for blizzard or play any part in this games development.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Never buying a game designed by you...
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
02/02/2013 05:49 PMPosted by Shâd
And thats why you dont work for blizzard or play any part in this games development.

Because the people who work for Blizzard do such a good job of making sure PVP is fun to play for their customer base? Is that really what you're saying? You do know WOW is bleeding players by the tens of thousands every month, right?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
02/02/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Eisenhorne

S'funny. Most of the people I used to play WOW with have stopped, and universally they say they will never buy another game made by Blizzard. I'm in that category myself. I know this game so well and been playing it so long that it's hard to pick up and start completely fresh, though I am experimenting now with other games. However, I will never buy anything made by Blizzard again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/02/2013 05:55 PMPosted by Krickit

Because the people who work for Blizzard do such a good job of making sure PVP is fun to play for their customer base? Is that really what you're saying? You do know WOW is bleeding players by the tens of thousands every month, right?

Ask me if I care ? I still play and it passes the time for me.

You DO know this game is 8 years old right? Ever think after all this time it's simply
getting stale and has nothing to do with the current content or the state of it?

Dont do pvp if its that bad for you, its really that simple.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/02/2013 05:58 PMPosted by Krickit

S'funny. Most of the people I used to play WOW with have stopped, and universally they say they will never buy another game made by Blizzard. I'm in that category myself. I know this game so well and been playing it so long that it's hard to pick up and start completely fresh, though I am experimenting now with other games. However, I will never buy anything made by Blizzard again.

To each their own. I don't enjoy the vision of pvp that you express. I'm sure there are many games that you and your friends play that I wouldn't spend my money on. I enjoy Blizzard games. Maybe they have built the expectations too high for even themselves, but that is the result of success in an industry that hungers for the next inovation.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I wouldn't mind the different types of CC if they all shared the same diminishing returns. Chain CC's is just ridiculous in BGs nowadays.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
To start with, all stuns -- gone. All classes need to be able to fight even when the other guy is fighting back. If removing stun makes them unbalanced, then add strength to bring the strength of that class back up to par.

All silences -- gone. They unbalance PVP since there is no equivalent to "silence" melee players. Also, the different types of silences are unbalanced.

Some CC measures have to remain because they're integral to the class. Warlock fears and Mage frosts and slows, for example. Rogue poisons and saps are in that category and can't really be removed without completely changing the character of the class. Hunter freeze traps and such would stay. Hunter silence, sleep and disorient shots would be gone. Warrior intimidating shout, also gone.

The tradition of PVP here at WOW has been that lightly armored caster classes have to stay away from the more heavily armored melee players to keep alive. But over the years some melee classes have been given mobility skills which make that extremely difficult. It SHOULD be difficult for caster classes to maintain distance, but not extremely so. There needs to be a balance between casters who need range and melee who need to get close. Remember, a melee player doesn't take long to dispose of a caster class once they close the distance.

That being the case, rogue shadow step: gone. Warrior heroic leaps and charges: gone. DK death grip has to stay because it's an integral part of the class, but chains of ice: gone (in pvp). If you're a melee player you don't get to bounce around like that unless it's a skill on a long cooldown.

Naturally there has to be some tinkering with classes that lose these stuns and silences so as to not make them weak. The ultimate goal is that any class should be able, all things being equal in terms of skill and gear, to engage in a fairly even fight with any other class. There should neither be OP classes, like the warriors are now, nor UP (underpowered) classes like the balance druids.

this is unbelieveable dramatic. you want classes to have no abilties. warriors with no charge? come on be serious and maybe they will take you serious. just reduce the number of CCs and/or increase CDs significantly and it will be fine
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
OP go try Angry Birds... I heard it doesn't have any cc.
Reply Quote
Without stuns/snares/interrupts/silences/sheeps/etc, PvP is just a burn-fest that tests who has the best gear.

With them, PvP becomes a test of tactical skill.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/02/2013 09:09 PMPosted by Piñata
They unbalance PVP since there is no equivalent to "silence" melee players.

Disarm effects. Just sayin'. Most of your post has merit, though.

Or both if you're ret

Thank you Blizzard
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
They unbalance PVP since there is no equivalent to "silence" melee players.

Disarm effects. Just sayin'. Most of your post has merit, though.

How many classes have a disarm? More to the point, how many caster classes have a disarm? None, that I'm aware of. Yet all melee classes have a silence, sometimes more than one.

I think that since every melee class has silence then every caster class should have a disarm.
Edited by Rinin on 2/3/2013 7:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Without stuns/snares/interrupts/silences/sheeps/etc, PvP is just a burn-fest that tests who has the best gear.

With them, PvP becomes a test of tactical skill.

No, it becomes a test of which class has the most CC/silence/stuns.

Think I'm wrong? Think it's related to skill? How is it that the classes with the most CC consistently are OP in PVP and the classes with the least CC are consistently chum in the water?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Blizzard acknowledges that there is too much instant CC in the game, but they pretty much admit that they don't want to change it because people don't like change.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Req
02/02/2013 05:49 PMPosted by Shâd

^Yes

Never buying a game from this kid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/03/2013 06:59 AMPosted by Rinin
How many classes have a disarm? More to the point, how many caster classes have a disarm? None, that I'm aware of

Spriests say hi.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]