Ret's path to viability: buff Battle Healer

90 Human Paladin
We all know Ret has issues. No one can really agree, however, on what should be done about them to make the spec warrant a spot in a rated battle ground or arena team. Some say their utility is trumped by Holy which also brings vastly superior heals, and argue that they need special goodies that Holy doesn't have. Some say their survivability is too low, and argue that they need better defenses to stay in the fight. Others say they lack damage and have no staying power to put their opponents on the defensive, so they should have better sustained damage.

They're all correct, Ret falls short in all these ways. But in the interest of avoiding direct competition with other classes, I suggest none of these things should be Ret's strong suit, but rather the healing it provides while dealing damage. Ret already has access to Battle Healer. It's generally not used very often because of the sacrifice of either SoJ or SoT, but it has the potential to provide a niche for Ret - A DPS that has decent healing.

Thus I propose Glyph of Battle Healer heal a nearby ally for 100% of damage done by melee attacks, exorcism and judgement while Seal of Insight is active. Thus Ret provides decent healing. Not as much as a full healer, but enough to make a difference and allow more aggressive compositions.
Reply Quote
Blizz has already stated they really don't like passive healing and prefer it to be a skill issue rather than just something that happens without thought.

100% damage to healing would be insane. In raid buffs I can see 70-80k dps which would keep someone alive indefinitely.

Judging by the state of the game, paladins will probably not receive more CC or passive healing worth anything.

Ret needs more retribution in the truest sense of the word. I very much like the idea that when activating various abilities enemies striking the paladin receive damage in return. Similar to eye for an eye was but more controllable. Alternatively, enemies striking the paladin could be silenced or disarmed for a period of time.

Rets get sat on. Problem #1. It's completely without penalty to sit on the Ret until dead.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/02/2013 11:24 PMPosted by Stmichael
Thus I propose Glyph of Battle Healer heal a nearby ally for 100% of damage done by melee attacks, exorcism and judgement while Seal of Insight is active. Thus Ret provides decent healing. Not as much as a full healer, but enough to make a difference and allow more aggressive compositions.

I think this would be overpowered and on top of that it wouldn't require very much skill, would it? You'd simply do your rotation and heal an ally for a ton.
Edited by Hafleur on 2/3/2013 4:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
02/03/2013 04:21 AMPosted by Meenamoo
Blizz has already stated they really don't like passive healing

And then they made mistweaver monks. .

100% damage to healing would be insane. .

Yup.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Off hand healin and some damage would be nice
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Blizz has already stated they really don't like passive healing and prefer it to be a skill issue rather than just something that happens without thought.

So explain 2nd wind to us then blizzard
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Second wind is significantly more limited than any other healing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/03/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Cayse
Second wind is significantly more limited than any other healing.

Except in quantity and healing/resource, of course.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/03/2013 05:45 PMPosted by Covahredro
In pve it would be OP in PvP not as much, as resilience, battle fatigue, armor and active/passive dmg reductions would drop its output by quite a bit, oh and mortal strike buff too. Its why its garbage in its current state for pvp, once all those reduction are taken into account, it heals for basically nothing, nothing worth while anyway. Still 100% would be too much.

Too much based on what? You've said yourself that it would be significantly less than a true 1:1 damage:heal ratio thanks to resil, battle fatigue, heal debuff etc. It's also unwieldy, given that you cannot choose who you heal, and requires you actually be in melee range to provide healing (something that is far from guaranteed with the amount of CC in this game.) Even all those drawbacks notwithstanding, the sort of healing I'm proposing wouldn't provide even half the healing of a holy paladin over the course of a fight.

How about a more specific alternative, limiting it only to Crusader Strike, but healing 150% of the damage dealt for the paladin and one other target? Even with wings and trinket, CS doesn't crit for more than 40k (being generous), giving us an extra 60k heal (at best) for ourselves and one other target. That way it's not a constant stream of heals and helps our own survivability.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]