Restore my faith in evil

90 Dwarf Death Knight
Im going to buy a faction change tomorrow and dont know if I should change my warlock or my death knight. Im talking strictly rp reasons here, which is evil...er? I assume warlocks but would like to be sure.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Warlocks make contracts with Demons to do their bidding. They ignite their opponents on fire or use shadow spells to hurt their foe even at times getting life from their abilities of fire or shadow.

Death Knights use the very powers that the Lich King did to meet their goals. We don't make packs with our slaves we resurrect them and discard them as necessary. We freeze our enemies with frost while boiling their blood. If you believe the hints of lore we're also practically vampires and if we do not take life over time we can start to get a blood haze.

Neither Warlocks or DK's are kind. They both use abilities that scare most around them. Our leader Darian Mograine openly stated that we do not belong on this world. One thing that is most true though is nothing stops a death knight and we use any tools no matter how evil and hated to destroy what is in our path. Mograine even helps others to use pieces of Frostmourne to be able to kill the Lich King. If Fordring knew about that I wonder if he'd have let the Ebon Blade into ICC.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
The bulk of Arhtas' Death Knight's were slain Paladins and Warriors, and used as placated puppets to do bad things. After we regained our consciousness and freedom, we seem more.. uncaring either way.
So technically we don't directly fit into the definition of being "evil". More of Chaotic Neutral.

Warlocks, on the other hand, made a conscious choice to peruse their craft, knowing full well what it entails.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I dunno.

One makes a contract with an Imp. I raise a ghoul from the ground that only lasts a short time. I even take life from the temporary slave to remind it how expendable it is.
Reply Quote
Death Knights aren't defined by being "evil". They're defined by being unnatural.

Warlocks aren't necessarily evil on an individual level either, but they are real jackasses.

One common theme through both classes is that of domination(more so with Death Knights). Both desire to have minions serve them. Both take and consume but don't necessarily give anything back.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Wow I really appreciate the replies, much more in-depth than I has assumed they would be. I view chaotic nuetrality as one of you called it as evil since it leads to potential destruction if there is a personal gain. That said, warlocks are great because they chose their own path into the dark world. Death Knights are victims of fate it seems. I am leaning warlock as of now, but it seems to be a gametime decision.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
This thread needs more Shadow Priestage
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
02/04/2013 05:30 AMPosted by Denork
Wow I really appreciate the replies, much more in-depth than I has assumed they would be. I view chaotic nuetrality as one of you called it as evil since it leads to potential destruction if there is a personal gain. That said, warlocks are great because they chose their own path into the dark world. Death Knights are victims of fate it seems. I am leaning warlock as of now, but it seems to be a gametime decision.

Yeah, if I was a DK I'd be pretty depressed about my current state. They also HAVE to inflict pain to something regularly, otherwise they feel immense pain and go insane. Kind of reminds me of vampires.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
02/04/2013 06:17 AMPosted by Connekt
They also HAVE to inflict pain to something regularly, otherwise they feel immense pain and go insane. Kind of reminds me of vampires.

I see. This, I did not know. Thats a game changer.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Also keep in mind we only ever bring death. We are a walking reminder of death incarnate. Can you really get more evil than that. At worst warlocks just come across as evil when they cast some wicked spell or pull on the leash of their demon pet. We remind all of their mortality and more importantly that we can not only kill our enemies but potentially raise their corpse to battle their friends and loved ones. We are Death Knights. We don't need a pet to scare you, all we have to do is stand there with our blue fire eyes.
Edited by Tor on 2/4/2013 7:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
02/04/2013 07:14 AMPosted by Tor
Also keep in mind we only ever bring death. We are a walking reminder of death incarnate. Can you really get more evil than that. At worst warlocks just come across as evil when they cast some wicked spell or pull on the leash of their demon pet. We remind all of their mortality and more importantly that we can not only kill our enemies but potentially raise their corpse to battle their friends and loved ones. We are Death Knights. We don't need a pet to scare you, all we have to do is stand there with our blue fire eyes.

You make a very convincing case. It seems almost as if a death knight could be an arbiter of death. What you say about the death knights stare makes me think about how a dk dual weilding hammers would certainly look more badass than a warlock, though I do plan to get a nice looking troll voodoo mask for a lock.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Warlocks deal in dark magic and control demons. Pretty cool stuff.

If you want evil, Death Knights earned their name for a reason. Fallen from grace and resurrected by the Lich King as a bringer of Death in all forms - War, Disease, Corruption.

But it's really up to you to decide!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Point is this. Besides how they dress. Take away their demon and a lock would be like anyone else. As a DK we can't hide our Evil.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Death Knights are not evil themselves, but they are creations of evil. We weren't just risen from the grave like a normal ghoul, our soul was ripped from the afterlife and magically bound to our body. As if that weren't enough, Arthas instilled within us an addiction to kill, to cause pain and suffering. The tale of a death knight is one of pain and sorrow. We are abominations. We didn't choose this, it was forced upon us.

Warlocks actively and consciously chose to make contracts with demons. They chose to wield demonic energies and to incinerate their foes with Fel magic. If you want to know which is more evil, I would say Warlocks.

That said, I personally feel Death Knights would be more interesting to roleplay. While a Death Knight is more of an anti-hero than inherently evil, it is very easy to see how a Death Knight can go insane and become evil. Completely robbed of taste, touch, and smell, with an addiction to killing others despite knowing its wrong, and seemingly not being good for anything other than inflicting pain and suffering. I know that would make me go insane.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Thanks everyone. I just bought a faction change for this DK. Will be an Orc soon :)
Reply Quote
They also HAVE to inflict pain to something regularly, otherwise they feel immense pain and go insane. Kind of reminds me of vampires.

I see. This, I did not know. Thats a game changer.

DK's basically are Blizzard's take on a "vampire class". Just inflicting pain instead of sucking blood. It's told to you in this starting quest:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:The_Endless_Hunger

The endless hunger will soon take hold of you, death knight. When it does, you will feel pain immeasurable. There is only one remedy for the suffering: the hunger must be sated.

I give you the key to your salvation.

Chained to the Heart of Acherus are those deemed unworthy of the dark brotherhood. Use the key to free an unworthy initiate. Allow them to equip their gear and battle you for their freedom. Kill and the pain will cease. Fail and suffer for eternity.

Live or die - the choice is yours to make.

Of note is also that the quest objective isn't to "slay" someone, it's to "dominate" them.

Domination is also a key theme to vampire stories. Literature often has them seducing women to the point where they can't control themselves, or taking slaves, or raising the dead to do their bidding. One book, Fevre Dream by George RR Martin(who wrote Game of Thrones) also went by the idea of alpha-mentality, where Vampire's are like animals that form a pack order.

02/04/2013 07:14 AMPosted by Tor

Not all cultures view death as "evil". Many primitive ones just view it as a crossing over to a spirit world of sorts. Or a time to let go of your sense of self(the ego) and enter a rebirthing process.

What Death Knights are are unnatural. They are outside the cycle of life. It's not evil; it's a curse. They're immortal, but they are completely incapable of creation(birth). Arthas tried to counter this by making abominations through science and magic...but they weren't a part of the cycle either.
Edited by Draile on 2/4/2013 8:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Death Knights are not evil themselves, but they are creations of evil. We weren't just risen from the grave like a normal ghoul, our soul was ripped from the afterlife and magically bound to our body. As if that weren't enough, Arthas instilled within us an addiction to kill, to cause pain and suffering. The tale of a death knight is one of pain and sorrow. We are abominations. We didn't choose this, it was forced upon us.

Warlocks actively and consciously chose to make contracts with demons. They chose to wield demonic energies and to incinerate their foes with Fel magic. If you want to know which is more evil, I would say Warlocks.
~snip~

This is what I was trying to say, but worded so much better.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
SOK
It's sort of an academic discussion given the faction change has been made, but...

I'm not so terribly evil. Yes, yes, I bend demons to my will and wield shadow and fire to destructive effect. But if I didn't do those things we'd have imps running around Ironforge all willy nilly and voidlords constantly sulking and bringing everyone down. I'm really doing a public service here.

Now let's look at the real bad guys. Paladins. Stuck up, haven't done jack for those poor hungry people in Westfall. They act all self-righteous just because they have a big hammer (making up for something, are we?). The Light clearly doesn't have everyone's best interests at heart here.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 10:27 AMPosted by Minkle
Now let's look at the real bad guys. Paladins. Stuck up, haven't done jack for those poor hungry people in Westfall. They act all self-righteous just because they have a big hammer (making up for something, are we?). The Light clearly doesn't have everyone's best interests at heart here.

Technically the only class that has tried to help out the people of westfall were Rogues.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Let's put it this way. Death knight are risen dead created to inflict pain and all of that emo mumbo jumbo (no offense =)
Warlocks on the other hand..... Make willing and completely conscious efforts to increase their power at the expense of others, even their own life. We can not only control and sacrifice demons to empower ourselves but we also become a demon. While some classes slow fall or use silly gizmos, warlocks make gravity our b*itch as we come crashing down with glyph of falling meteor. Death knights kill people and possibly raise them as mindless servants... Warlocks burn their very soul and convert it into power (burning embers) or just drain it and store it in a shard for later use...
Death Knights freeze water in order to walk on it.... Warlocks set it ablaze, do you understand we turn WATER into fire!
Warlocks delve into the most dangerous magics and powers in the game we had a choice, we chose to be powerful regardless the cost. If that means we are evil so be it we don't care for such petty classifications.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]