"Omg that guy sucks!! I quit!"

100 Human Paladin
Would like to add to OP post another little tip, yes, there will always be those who do not care, will not listen and there is not much one can do to change those types BUT remember, if you offer polite advice via a whisper and are met with silence, it does not always mean you were ignored. Some people may just be shocked that someone actually whispered them advice as opposed to flat out being insulted, cussed at, bashed etc and they did HEAR you and took note and will follow up that dungeon by checking that site or trying that rotation etc.

Some people will always lash out at advice no matter how politely it is given

Some people will imediately thankyou and try that new spell/attack/rotation

Some people are simply quiet and reserved and genuinely afraid due to former bashing but they did hear you and following that dungeon will be trying your suggestions or visiting those sites.
Reply Quote
my very first max lvl was a belf prot derpadin back in wrath

i had no idea that i should be using dodge and parry str plate

majority of my left over tps were in holy for self heals

i thought avenger's shield was the best thing ever since peanut butter

eventually i got my os (don't ask me how i got 1k gold ... i can't even remember how either)

os was retardin and somehow got into an ICC10 herioc and no1 checked my gear

some1 said something about my gear right as they pulled marrowgar

i won bryntroll b4 they kicked me

best day ever
Edited by Grôg on 2/4/2013 9:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Death Knight
My first experience was my older bro telling me to run this mage through Uldaman on his Warrior while he used the restroom. I had no idea what did what and died to a scorpion pull in the first 3 seconds. A week later I started playing and finally figured out what to do. Leveling a Rogue solo during vanilla was hell on Azeroth. I made a great choice though as I eventually learned extreme damage mitigation and reactions through it. I never maxed that rogue even to this day. I look back on him still at level 40 sometime during the release of C'thun.

My bro would always give me a run down of every fight as if I was there myself. I didn't play again until Call of the Crusade came out. I regretted it immediately. Not because I disliked wow or anything like that, but because I started out a leg behind everyone else. We had people hardened from the raids of old; And here comes the little wimpy shadow priest named Harpuia.

I leveled on my own with this priest I decided to make because I wanted to try healing. Man I was noob. I had no idea what to stack, I didn't get my first epic piece until the last weeks of 5.2. They were bracers! Can you believe the level of joy I felt getting those? Finally after all this time I get my just rewards. This is the feeling I've gotten every expac and Raid patch since. I went on to get an insanity tribute run and server seconds in Heroic mode icc, the pinnacle of my raiding career. I raided Heroic until cata came out. Like many others my group was broken up and scattered. I haven't downed a hardmode boss since Halfus. I can't wait until the day I get to hit hardmodes again full force like I did during ToC and ICC and get that feeling I did when I hit my peak.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I also started playing with my family. I had never really played a mmo having played mainly old school single person pc/console fantasy games. My brother and sister (as well as several other family members) had a guild and they roped me into playing. When I started I seemed to do fairly well. It was mid bc and I had no idea where anything was or how to interact with people. When people tried to group with me for hogger I would join and get confused when they would change the loot rules to something and I thought for sure they could steal my gear! And the first person who waved at me was a blood elf with the cute name of Shandlara whom I clicked on to wave to back to and was murdered! (It makes me laugh now.)

I stumbled around leveling pestering everyone where to go for this or that; and can I haz gold (I'm the youngest of course I deserved gold!). Finally at level 50 or someone took pity on me and told me about thottbot so I could look up the quest items and such. I finally hit 70 and about a week or so later Wrath came out. I had been fortunate enough to be dragged through Kara and now wanted to learn how to raid. The dungeons were amazing to me. Fortunately I was dps so other then pet aggro issues and accidentally miss clicking and pulling a random boss now and again I felt like I was ultra powered! Of course I was only picked to go when no one else was and never realized but at the time it was amazing. Finally we all hit level 80 (I was a bit behind) and had gone through the heroics and the guild had started into 10 man naxx. I was picked to go and was ecstatic. After the first week (maybe second)I was told I was being benched. I was crushed. But truly I was clueless and didn't even really know how to misdirect or any of the other most common hunter type things.

A nice man from another guild whom we partnered with to run 25 mans with sometimes saw how horrible I was and took the time to explain all the different spells and rotations and what a macro was and all sorts of good information. I ended up joining his guild and we played well together until he transferred away. (Snapring wherever you are you rule!) I raided 4-5 days a week on various toons after that, (not in mop as much) and loved every second. I know that if he had not done what he did for me I would have quit long ago, and never raided again.

While I don't really talk much in LFD or LFR, when quildies as questions that seem silly; I do try to answer and will go to training dummy and show them while on vent from time to time. Who knows..I might end up raiding with them someday.
Reply Quote
51 Undead Rogue
02/04/2013 09:27 AMPosted by Lokthen
This isn't about the people that ignore everything you say and don't make an effort to get any better. (I'm looking at you, latin servers.)

You had my full, undivided attention until here.

As a player coming from one of them "latin servers" as you put it, I have to say your remark is completely unfounded, and as ignorant as the people that kicked your warlock out of that very first dungeon.

My realm (Azralon) is ranked 12 in PvE progression among US realms. Yours (Argent Dawn) is ranked 107. Think about that for a minute. You're telling me that people from my realm (conveniently lumped in with the rest of the "latin servers") "ignore everything you say and don't make any effort to get any better". Well guess what? The average pug player from my realm would give you a run for your money on your best day in ANY PvE content.

I am furious that you had to ruin such a well constructed, full of good points thread with such a careless remark. You should be embarrassed to say other people are ignorant and intolerant of new players, when you do the exact same thing by means of a (very) gross generalization.

This isn't about "raiding" or "progression" servers, or who is the best among us. This is about countless people from Nemesis, Tol Barad, and Goldrinn being one of those people that just won't listen and have no desire to get better. I probably should have been more specific. My apologies. However, I can honestly say that I've never ran into anyone from Azralon that was intentionally terrible. I feel bad for generalizing, but life goes on.
Reply Quote
How about not giving advice to strangers. Who the F gives advice to strangers?

Have you ever been on the street when someone you've never met gives you fashion advice? Its socially unacceptable behavior.

Give advice to your friends. For strangers - either use the tools available to you (i.e. leave or kick), or shut up. Focus on the big picture - are you killing mobs and bosses? Are people staying alive?

THEN SHUT THE BLEEP UP!
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 11:28 AMPosted by Bri
This is about countless people from Nemesis, Tol Barad, and Goldrinn being one of those people that just won't listen and have no desire to get better

Point in case.

You have no responsibility to these players and they have none to you. You happen to be thrust into the same situation with them.

Social Engagement Steps:

STEP 1: Be Nice
(note, that doesn't say critique their decisions)

STEP 2: Be Nice Still - maybe invite them to a run

STEP 3: Have some chuckles, ask about their family, learn something about them.

STEP 4: IF said person seems interested in becoming better at WoW, give them advice.

Note that its not until step 4 that its even remotely acceptable to give advice. If someone is so bad that they are unbearable, you can leave or kick. THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS. Giving advice just fuels divides.
Edited by Mvura on 2/4/2013 11:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I never liked people who say people suck without attempting to help them first. I'd understand if it was a heroic dungeon, or a raid, but a normal dungeon? Especially what I'm assuming is a low level dungeon? I mean, people are layered in BoAs from head to toe, one person being new does nothing, and telling them they suck and trying to kick them does even more nothing, except kicking some poor new player out on their !@# for being, well, new.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Truthfully, one doesn't need a mentor to be successful at understanding the dynamics of gameplay. There's an enormous wealth of online resources available at your fingertips.
Reply Quote
51 Undead Rogue
How about not giving advice to strangers. Who the F gives advice to strangers?

Have you ever been on the street when someone you've never met gives you fashion advice? Its socially unacceptable behavior.

Give advice to your friends. For strangers - either use the tools available to you (i.e. leave or kick), or shut up. Focus on the big picture - are you killing mobs and bosses? Are people staying alive?

THEN SHUT THE BLEEP UP!

Bad analogy is bad. You must be one of those that take offense to productive criticism. See it this way, you are working at a job. A new person has gotten hired and has went through training. They're on their own now and are still struggling. Your job is based on teamwork and needs everyone to be up to par in order to meet the daily output. Are you going to let them be confused, or are you going to show them what they're doing wrong and correct their ways so they don't lose their job and make the group lag behind?

Or how about an artist that can't quite get a certain texture right in their painting? I had that problem in art class. A fellow classmate taught me the technique. He went on to give me advice on how to better my artwork. I was doing certain things that didn't look so well.

Productive criticism helps in the long run.
Edited by Bri on 2/4/2013 12:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
51 Undead Rogue
02/04/2013 11:36 AMPosted by Mvura
This is about countless people from Nemesis, Tol Barad, and Goldrinn being one of those people that just won't listen and have no desire to get better

Point in case.

You have no responsibility to these players and they have none to you. You happen to be thrust into the same situation with them.

Social Engagement Steps:

STEP 1: Be Nice
(note, that doesn't say critique their decisions)

STEP 2: Be Nice Still - maybe invite them to a run

STEP 3: Have some chuckles, ask about their family, learn something about them.

STEP 4: IF said person seems interested in becoming better at WoW, give them advice.

Note that its not until step 4 that its even remotely acceptable to give advice. If someone is so bad that they are unbearable, you can leave or kick. THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS. Giving advice just fuels divides.

It fuels divides? I beg to differ. I've made quite a few friends from giving friendly advice. It created a bond of friendship.

When I say friendly advice, I don't tell them they suck. That's just wrong and will offend. It's more like this.

"Hey. I would like to recommend some sites to help you improve your rotation better. You'll learn a lot from it and your performance will improve better."

That usually triggers a conversation.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
@ Corahn, yes there is alot of on line help sites IF a new player knows they are there, which is more current and relevant, which are favored by a larger portion of the player base. When I first entered wow about a yr pre BC launch it was a new to wow and new to gaming period and I played for over a yr not knowing about these sites, not knowing about forums, preferred talents, rotations, gear etc.

It was not till I found a guild of by and large helpful and courteous players that I began to actually understand the game and better know how to play my various characters.. Extending a hand, steering in a nice direction, offering courteous advice is never a bad thing and in fact just might mean a future raider.

Until I came into wow, I had never played an MMO nor a console game, the extent of my gaming was way way back as in my early childhood years, I had had little real time/experience on a comp and I was very very well into adulthood. Computer lingo was a new language to me, shoot using a computer was relatively new to me.

More and more older people are now making their way into the modern age of computers and technology despite those things having been here for some time, when new to technology/computers and more, you enter with no knowledge and having helpful people steer you to those helpful sites is a bonus not just to those on the recieving end but likewise to that person who steered that player in the right direction.
Reply Quote
51 Undead Rogue
I don't know if you'll check this thread again, but if you do, I'm here to help you. I have a human warlock around your level and would be willing to run some dungeons with you. I can help you with your hunter too.

Wow, Bri, that would be awesome!

Yep! My battletag is Anti#1826. If you don't have a tag yet, just go to your account page on Battle.net and create one. Should be on the left side there.
Reply Quote
I have to completely agree with the OP, but there are people with such egos that they won't listen, which is sad.
Reply Quote
OP grow a some balls and use the Dungeon finder...
Reply Quote
51 Undead Rogue
02/04/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Arhagon
OP grow a some balls and use the Dungeon finder...

I don't think you have the appropriate reading level to fully understand my thread.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/04/2013 05:36 AMPosted by Bri
Instead of saying the community sucks because of someone doing very poorly in a dungeon, perhaps contribute to making it better.

The problem is that most people aren't willing to accept help. Why? Because the community is terrible. People are terrible and they don't want to get better.

As far as I'm concerned, this is largely Blizzard's fault. The game is designed around said people. "Too hard? Don't worry. We'll just nerf it for you." This means that people don't need to get better, and thus we end up with the community we have.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
Now this is a good post.

I don't want to be one of those '!@#$% yelling 'STICKY!!!' but I really do hope the butthurt on this board about this very issue read it.
Reply Quote
51 Undead Rogue
02/04/2013 12:33 PMPosted by Vanarela
Instead of saying the community sucks because of someone doing very poorly in a dungeon, perhaps contribute to making it better.

The problem is that most people aren't willing to accept help. Why? Because the community is terrible. People are terrible and they don't want to get better.

As far as I'm concerned, this is largely Blizzard's fault. The game is designed around said people. "Too hard? Don't worry. We'll just nerf it for you." This means that people don't need to get better, and thus we end up with the community we have.

Unfortunately, this is true. However, I don't blame Blizzard. I just blame people. Society is greedy and majority of humankind want everything given to them. Even in the real world.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Unfortunately, this is true. However, I don't blame Blizzard. I just blame people. Society is greedy and majority of humankind want everything given to them. Even in the real world.

If the game requried you to know what you're doing, then people would have no choice. You would experience far fewer people having hissy fits when you tell them they're doing something wrong. Hardly anyone ever went ape in TBC or even early Wrath if you told them they were doing something wrong or suggested how they could do something better. The playerbase didn't just decide around the time of 3.2 that they were going to play how they wanted regardless of whether it was right. There were a few specific changes around that time that I think were the cause. (Hint: Emblem changes and, later, the dungeon finder).
Edited by Vanarela on 2/4/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]