<Rewind> 60/70/80 Progressive Raiding

61 Blood Elf Paladin
UPDATE: Both AQ10 and Molten Core have been cleared!

http://i.imgur.com/ueK4SJN.jpg

Starting BWL soon.

Hey, Wyrmrest. Longtime members of this realm may find this suspiciously familiar. That feeling would not be misplaced, because this is certainly something I've done here before. So without further ado, the people behind guilds like <The Mok'kron Offensive> and <Shadowmoon Battalion> present:

<Rewind> is a Horde-side guild on the Wyrmrest Accord (US) server. Unlike your average raiding guild, Rewind focuses on content from previous expansions instead of current-tier. In a nutshell, we experience-lock our characters at level 60, 70, or 80 and raid content using tier-appropriate gear, enchants, and consumables.

For people who are already interested, skip the next couple of paragraphs to get to the good stuff. For people still wondering if I'm raving mad, well...

Introduction

People have been level-locking characters at certain points in the game for ages. Reasons vary, some do it for “twink PvP” while others do it for raiding. Those who partake in previous-expansion raiding generally have differing rulesets, but all of them share a common goal: experiencing (or re-experiencing, in some cases) content that these days can be cleared with ease by a person or two. While going back to old raid content at a higher level gives a small look into what it was like, there is a certain depth to previous expansions that can only be truly experienced at the appropriate level.

Still not convinced? Here is a brief list of points which highlight the excitement of retro-raiding:

• Because progression is 100% noncompetitive, every person who joins the guild is after one thing and one thing only: fun. They are there because they enjoy the content and philosophies of the guild. Because of this, these types of guilds often spawn amazing communities and friendships.
  • It can be done alongside your max-level raiding. You don't have to put a lot of work in to have a viable character.
  • On the other hand, previous expansions offer enough to keep you very busy if you really start to get into the idea. You can try for BiS gear for your character, do reputations, do dungeons, train professions and find rare recipes... the list goes on.
  • Having an alternative to the raids you're currently working on at max-level can be refreshing. Instead of running Mogu'Shan Vaults on two different characters, why not pound in Mogu faces on one and storm Tempest Keep on another?
  • Time may be running out for some of the raids and dungeons... Classic WoW and BC have already started accumulating a body count, meaning the option to truly experience some of these instances may be limited.

If you're still unsure, retro-raiding might not be for you. However, if you're at all interested, read on!
Edited by Daltraxx on 2/16/2013 10:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
Rules

The way we'll be undertaking this grand expedition is simple: We will be capping our characters at every major level: 60, 70, 80, and possibly even 85 if it really appeals to people. We will be doing this 100% progressively, meaning that we will be defeating each tier of raids before moving onto the next (with some slight mixups for a few vanilla raids). At every tier, we will only be using characters that are level-appropriate, class-appropriate, with gear, gems, consumables, and enchants that are only obtainable at the boss and patch that we have cleared up to. We'll be trying to keep it as straightforward and un-gimmicky as possible, but also trying to retain the essence of each expansion. In this vein, there will be some allowances and restrictions:

• All races are eligible to be used at any level.
  • Death Knights are disallowed until level 80 content. Monks are disallowed.
  • All talents are available unless ways are found to abuse certain ones or specific ones are found to be “overpowered”. At worst we will simply disallow a specific problem talent.
  • Glyphs are disallowed until level 80 content. The exception is minor glyphs which provide either cosmetic or quality of life changes.
  • Dual talent specialization is allowed.
  • PvP gear of any type that is bought from a vendor is disallowed.
  • You can use the Auction House and other characters to craft items for you provided they are items that are completely available at the level of progression we are at. The exception to this is if the items require a raid material and we are still currently progressing through that raid. For example, if we are currently progressing through molten core, you cannot buy materials from the molten core raid to craft Thorium Brotherhood armor/weapons until we have defeated Ragnaros. It is still permissable to use the materials we collect while raiding for the purpose.
  • New characters, or new members to the guild, may only have gear obtainable outside of raid dungeons to begin with. Gear obtained either in other retro-raid guilds, or with the help of higher-level characters will need to be downgraded.
  • Help from higher-level characters in any dungeon or raid is strictly prohibited.
  • Any confusing situations will be dealt with fairly when we encounter them. If you're unsure, just ask!

It may seem like a long-winded set of rules, but in reality you barely notice it.

There are a few raid-specific rules as well:

• Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, and Temple of Ahn'Qiraj will all be carried out with a raid group consisting of 20 characters.
  • 25-man raids in the Burning Crusade expansion will all have an upper limit of 17 characters, to account for the 30% expansion-wide nerf. We will do Karazhan with 10 people still.
  • In the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, hard-modes will be part of progression, although no one will be obligated to do them since some of them will be much more challenging than any of the previous content. Our aim will be to tackle content on 25-man if possible.
  • Some of the raids will never truly be as challenging as they once were, but we can make them close by re-tuning them a little.

Scheduling

Our goal is for this to be as casual and easy for everyone as possible, so to facilitate that we will not start off with any set raid schedule, but instead aim to have a variety of different times every week so everyone can get in on the action. In addition, we will never stop recruitment, so having multiple raid groups is always a possibility as well.

Recruitment

The only criteria for joining the guild is being interested and being willing to follow the rules laid out. You do not have to roll a fresh character for this, but just note that we are only accepting characters of a maximum level 60 at this time. In addition, if you currently have any raid gear you will be required to downgrade. Otherwise, simply share our vision and you're good to go! Hit me up and I'll get you in on the action.

Contacts

You can contact any of the following characters for more information or an invite:

-Daltraxx
-Trots

In addition, feel free to add me as a battletag friend:

-Celeritas#1847
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I just want to say good luck. Getting people for this kind of thing is hard. I know I was part of one during WOTLK and the guild, along with its level 70 predecessor ended up closing shop.

I hope it works out :D, and when you get to level 80, i have some 80 boe stuff from Herald run throughs (200/219) that could be of use to you.
Edited by Cailiao on 2/4/2013 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for the well-wishes, and I actually remember you! (As Verasyl, anyway). I'm Valokai, and while both of the guilds I created did eventually come to an end, it was not without our fair share of fun and progression. Plus, this time I have a lot better idea of what to expect.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
AMG! You are still around! that's amazing! Hopefully it turns out well this time :) I'd throw someone in there, but we raid on the weekends and i figured thats when most of this will go down. :) Keep me informed!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
If I remember correctly we raided on weekends back in Mokkron, but I think that was just because I was all young and in high school and stuff. Currently my plan is to not have set raid times to start off and then when we have enough people try to figure out a schedule that works for most people, and then on top of that vary the days on which we raid from week to week to try to give as many people a chance to participate as possible.

In other words, nothing set in stone, priority number one right now is recruit, recruit, recruit!

EDIT: Wrong character, but still me!
Edited by Drexxy on 2/4/2013 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
I remember you!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
02/04/2013 02:36 PMPosted by Evandre
I remember you!

In the mountains!
Reply Quote
One thing I might want to reccomend, to ensure this guild gets raiders of a like-mind together and that you will always have enough people (or usually) - don't require people to join in order to raid with you.

That's right.

With the changes to cross realm raiding and Real ID/Battletags, it should be more than reasonable to make this an endeavor that spans not across just the server, but other servers too. You're bound to always find interested individuals if you do this. Limit it to only RP / RP PvP servers if you want to keep an RP purist mindset, though I doubt that would be the case. I mean, continuity errors, oi.

Give it a go. A lot of these guilds never get off the ground, but most of the time it's because they want to be strictly on-server.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
One thing I might want to reccomend, to ensure this guild gets raiders of a like-mind together and that you will always have enough people (or usually) - don't require people to join in order to raid with you.

That's right.

With the changes to cross realm raiding and Real ID/Battletags, it should be more than reasonable to make this an endeavor that spans not across just the server, but other servers too. You're bound to always find interested individuals if you do this. Limit it to only RP / RP PvP servers if you want to keep an RP purist mindset, though I doubt that would be the case. I mean, continuity errors, oi.

Give it a go. A lot of these guilds never get off the ground, but most of the time it's because they want to be strictly on-server.

While it's definitely something worth keeping in mind, in the past one of the issues I've had with these guilds is always keeping everyone within the rules. It's not fun having to police people, but on the other hand allowing anything that we shouldn't generally starts a snowball effect, which is actually a big contributor to why the first level 60 guild I ran fell apart. Involving people from off-server does a couple things:

1) It's harder to keep track of where their gear is coming from.
2) There's the potential for someone to take a lockout that's partially completed and pug the rest of the way, and it will lock the rest out even if it's done on another server.

I'm not saying I won't allow people offserver to join us sometimes, but only if I can trust them and they show interest in playing by the rules.

Also, in other words, when I came back from work the guild somehow had 17 people in it. I'm not exactly sure how, there must have been magic involved.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
Let's see if we can whip up some amazing today.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
We did some more amazing, I think. About 30 people kicking around. Not bad for one day.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new liiiiife.... for me...

And I'm feelin' good.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
40 people and gaining 2-3 guild levels per day? I can dig it.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
Bump for people hitting 60. :D
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
We'll be starting raiding in a week or so but we'll still have a chance for anyone who wants to join and beat stuff up! We might even have two groups at the rate we're going.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
We're up to 50 people now! It's gonna be good
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
This interests me greatly. I may level up one of my WrA characters to lock at 70. ^_^
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Paladin
02/09/2013 09:18 PMPosted by Avalae
This interests me greatly. I may level up one of my WrA characters to lock at 70. ^_^

Would love to have you, but just be aware that it'll be a couple months until we hit up level 70!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/09/2013 10:25 PMPosted by Daltraxx

Would love to have you, but just be aware that it'll be a couple months until we hit up level 70!

Yep yep, and it'll probably take that long to get a character to 70!

/slowleveler
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]