Starting BWL soon.
Hey, Wyrmrest. Longtime members of this realm may find this suspiciously familiar. That feeling would not be misplaced, because this is certainly something I've done here before. So without further ado, the people behind guilds like <The Mok'kron Offensive> and <Shadowmoon Battalion> present:
<Rewind> is a Horde-side guild on the Wyrmrest Accord (US) server. Unlike your average raiding guild, Rewind focuses on content from previous expansions instead of current-tier. In a nutshell, we experience-lock our characters at level 60, 70, or 80 and raid content using tier-appropriate gear, enchants, and consumables.
For people who are already interested, skip the next couple of paragraphs to get to the good stuff. For people still wondering if I'm raving mad, well...
People have been level-locking characters at certain points in the game for ages. Reasons vary, some do it for “twink PvP” while others do it for raiding. Those who partake in previous-expansion raiding generally have differing rulesets, but all of them share a common goal: experiencing (or re-experiencing, in some cases) content that these days can be cleared with ease by a person or two. While going back to old raid content at a higher level gives a small look into what it was like, there is a certain depth to previous expansions that can only be truly experienced at the appropriate level.
Still not convinced? Here is a brief list of points which highlight the excitement of retro-raiding:
- Because progression is 100% noncompetitive, every person who joins the guild is after one thing and one thing only: fun. They are there because they enjoy the content and philosophies of the guild. Because of this, these types of guilds often spawn amazing communities and friendships.
- It can be done alongside your max-level raiding. You don't have to put a lot of work in to have a viable character.
- On the other hand, previous expansions offer enough to keep you very busy if you really start to get into the idea. You can try for BiS gear for your character, do reputations, do dungeons, train professions and find rare recipes... the list goes on.
- Having an alternative to the raids you're currently working on at max-level can be refreshing. Instead of running Mogu'Shan Vaults on two different characters, why not pound in Mogu faces on one and storm Tempest Keep on another?
- Time may be running out for some of the raids and dungeons... Classic WoW and BC have already started accumulating a body count, meaning the option to truly experience some of these instances may be limited.
If you're still unsure, retro-raiding might not be for you. However, if you're at all interested, read on!