Healing in LFR and Off-Spec Gear

I love healing. It's my favorite part of MMOs and WoW in particular. I will happily heal in LFR every time I queue, but my poor Paladin wants some Ret gear. So, I've been queueing as Ret instead of Holy since I don't need any more healing gear, thereby contributing to the "healer shortage" issue.

I'm sure I can't be the only person in this situation. I haven't heard a peep from Devs recently about off-spec gear in LFR, but I may have missed something.

Has there been any talk about being able to queue as heals, but get off-spec gear in LFR?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The Blues have said they want to incorporate it but they need to make the UI for it obvious and easy to use.

So basically, they are trying to make it happen. But they prefer no function or a confusing function.
Reply Quote
Hmmm. Well then, it probably isn't something we're likely to see in 5.2 I'm guessing. Although I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised! I'll remain hopeful. =)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I just queue as dps for lfr while I'm doing dailies. I want the OS gear mostly for questing as I'll never give up my healing spot in a raid. And the only piece os healing gear I need is the tier legs from lfr so even if I win as dps I can exchange them for what I want.

I would like an option that if we were to queue as heals and dps that upon entering we should choose what gear we want since we were more willing to do what the group needed.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm sitting in a 48 minute HoF2 queue while I do pet battle dailies in my DPS spec.

I know this is something Blizzard has said they're looking into, but it would bring queue times down for everyone if we could get OS loot but queue as heals.
Edited by Kessiaan on 2/7/2013 10:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
I'm sitting in a 48 minute HoF2 queue while I do pet battle dailies in my DPS spec.

I know this is something Blizzard has said they're looking into, but it would bring queue times down for everyone if we could get OS loot but queue as heals.

Pretty much this. At this point I only heal in one of the 5 lfr set-ups because the chest token is the only piece that would be any sort of upgrade for my healing gear. I would much rather heal but putting up with some of the lfr idiocy as a healer with no chance of helping my character beyond the vp is a little too magnanimous for me.

It seems to me that it would be fairly easy to add in a pop-up before the loot roll that has a button for each spec for hybrids. Instead of the game automatically assigning the current spec, you click the button of the spec you want to roll for and the roll(s if using coins) is checked against that loot table.
Reply Quote
[quote]At this point I only heal in one of the 5 lfr set-ups because the chest token is the only piece that would be any sort of upgrade for my healing gear.

You can still win the token as dps, and turn it in for the healer tier chest.

I also really wish I could heal LFR and win dps gear somehow. I don't need anything else out of LFR for my heal spec and I'd rather heal than sit in an hour long DPS queue. I'm sure the other DPS and tanks in the queue with me would rather I heal as well.
Reply Quote
The only issue with this is if someone can face roll through lfr as dps, why would they take on the added stress of a tank position? They'd be able to get their tank gear as dps, which might lower the number of tanks in que, thus lengthening the que for everyone else. Just a devil's advocate.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
02/07/2013 08:26 PMPosted by Dekallo
At this point I only heal in one of the 5 lfr set-ups because the chest token is the only piece that would be any sort of upgrade for my healing gear.

You can still win the token as dps, and turn it in for the healer tier chest.

I also really wish I could heal LFR and win dps gear somehow. I don't need anything else out of LFR for my heal spec and I'd rather heal than sit in an hour long DPS queue. I'm sure the other DPS and tanks in the queue with me would rather I heal as well.

I know I can get the chest token as dps, my point was, like you, I would actually prefer to heal but since I'm trying to gear up my off-spec I can't because I'll just get healing gear (outside of tier tokens).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/08/2013 01:26 AMPosted by Kaeylum
The only issue with this is if someone can face roll through lfr as dps, why would they take on the added stress of a tank position? They'd be able to get their tank gear as dps, which might lower the number of tanks in que, thus lengthening the que for everyone else. Just a devil's advocate.

Tank queues are usually longer than DPS queues. Take a look around next time you're in LFR and see how many prot DPS you have :D. If that were to ever change more people would queue as tanks, it's a self-correcting problem.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm having the same issue. I don't need any more heal gear from LFR and I really loathe going into LFR in my ret spec. I only use Ret for dailies (and only because holy dmg blows) and I just can't seem to force myself to go into LFR to spend all that time in a spec I hate being in.
As well, everytime I do bother to queue now, all I'm noticing is that we are usually waiting on healers. Full on tanks, full on dps, missing 3 healers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Well, I can't be bothered to do LFR at all anymore. Tanks get a baggie (of pets they already have from vendors for 5s) for doing dungeons along. I refuse to put up the with hassle of LFR as a healer for valor.

Dailies in a healing spec are less of a hassle than LFR as a healer: congratulations on a system that makes healers not want to go there.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/08/2013 06:32 AMPosted by Ceresc
As well, everytime I do bother to queue now, all I'm noticing is that we are usually waiting on healers. Full on tanks, full on dps, missing 3 healers.

Noticing this as well. Healer was the last role to actually fill up - and honestly, the balance of healing to damage seemed... well... out of whack.

Sure, a couple dps died due to things like falling through the floor. But mostly, there just didn't seem to be enough damage going around to justify throwing more than spot heals and EFs for maintenance, occasional LoDs and prisms for raid damage.

Is this normal?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/08/2013 10:00 PMPosted by Bahnshee
Is this normal?

It entirely depends on whether your tanks decide to do brilliant things like tank Tsulong in the light beam, refuse to stand in the circle of light, engage in taunt wars on Blade Lord, Empress, Tsulong, and Lei Shi...whether your DPS know how to interrupt themselves (and others) for Amber Shaper, whether anyone knows what Attenuation is, how not to stand in cleave in front of Garalon, what is CC on Wind lord...etc, etc, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]