Priest Quality of Life Improvements

90 Blood Elf Priest
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:

This is a topic specifically for identifying the annoying, the obnoxious, the troublesome, the buggy, and the little idiosyncratic problems that plague the daily actions and playability of the Priest class. As such, I am establishing a few ground rules. The rules may sound silly, but it keeps all feedback very efficient and condensed.

1. No discussing or comparing other classes.
This is about Priests, and how we play the game. It is perfectly okay to say what is fun about our class and what is not fun about it. Just avoid talking about it in terms of other classes. Before you post, assume that nobody in here has ever played any class except Priests.

2. No balance issues.
This is not the place to discuss how much damage, healing, or utility priests have (or should have). There are countless other places on the forums where you can talk about things like that. And on the reverse end, don't censor yourself just because you think fixing a problem will "break the game" or "make Priests too OP". Other people, who are more clever, might know of a way to solve the problem without breaking anything.

3. No "Workaround" Solutions.
If somebody feels that a spell or mechanic could be improved, don't assume it's a trivial matter. For example, the problem I submit below is one about the low mana regen of a Discipline priest who is questing and using PW: Shield while fighting things. There are many workaround solutions, such as "Just don't use PW: Shield" or "Quest in Shadow Spec". These are not real solutions.

4. Format your feedback.
Each post needs to be limited to a single topic. State only one problem. State only one solution. Be as specific as possible, but also be as brief and to-the-point as possible. If you can think of multiple problems, make more than one post. Most everybody enjoys writing rambling walls of text, but very few people enjoy reading them. So format each Quality of Life post like this one:

Affected Class Specialization(s):
Discipline

QoL Issue:
Mana regen while questing

Example of how it affects me when I play the game:
Leveling from 58 to 90, I found myself constantly having to stop and drink as I killed quest monsters, but never had trouble healing dungeons.

Possible Cause(s) of Issue:
Power Word: Shield never gets broken by quest monsters as I fight them. The absorb is very high, and it only lasts 15 seconds, so I never regain any mana from Rapture while questing like I do in dungeons.

Possible Solution:
Extend the duration of PW: Shield for a second or two each time I cast Smite.

Thanks so much to anybody who contributes. I really do love the Priest class, and I hope this goes a long way towards helping improve it over time.
Edited by Ångel on 2/1/2013 11:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
In list format (because I'm too lazy to follow your format for all of these things):

1. Prayer of mendings from different priests should not overwrite each other.

2. Archangel affects PW:S and spirit shell. Grace affects spirit shell but not PW:S. Twist of fate affects neither. Consistency would be nice: make grace affect PW:S and twist of fate affect both.

3. Add offensive penance to the glyph of holy fire for 5.2 so it isn't the only thing left at 30 yards. Better yet, make them all 40 yards baseline.

4. Change rapture to a refreshable (but not stackable) buff on the priest so you don't have to track the ICD with an addon. This would also make casting PW:S when rapture wasn't quite off cd much better from a mana standpoint.

5. Make divine star have better pathing when there is a slight difference in elevation between the priest and the things they are aiming at.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/01/2013 02:06 PMPosted by Amabella
2. Archangel affects PW:S and spirit shell. Grace affects spirit shell but not PW:S. Twist of fate affects neither. Consistency would be nice: make grace affect PW:S and twist of fate affect both.

grace already affects pw:s, unless im mistaken because with no grace i get like 70kish bubbles and with 3 stacks of grace i get about 95k
Edited by Kohnsu on 2/1/2013 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Grace definitely does not affect PW:S. I'm not sure what you are seeing, but it isn't grace - I just tested it again to make sure.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
4. Change rapture to a refreshable (but not stackable) buff on the priest so you don't have to track the ICD with an addon. This would also make casting PW:S when rapture wasn't quite off cd much better from a mana standpoint.
Reply Quote
QoL Issue:
Mana regen while questing

Example of how it affects me when I play the game:
Leveling from 58 to 90, I found myself constantly having to stop and drink as I killed quest monsters, but never had trouble healing dungeons.

Possible Cause(s) of Issue:
Power Word: Shield never gets broken by quest monsters as I fight them. The absorb is very high, and it only lasts 15 seconds, so I never regain any mana from Rapture while questing like I do in dungeons.

Possible Solution:
Extend the duration of PW: Shield for a second or two each time I cast Smite.

I am going to break the rules because, after all, this is a discussion forum rather than a you have to follow my rules or not post forum.

If you aren't taking enough damage to break shield... don't use shield or pull more. If you are taking that little of damage your healing via Atonement will keep you alive. I have levelled 3 priests as disc and I have never had mana issues unless I accidentally pulled extra stuff/got walked in on by pats.
Edited by Morenn on 2/2/2013 5:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 02:06 PMPosted by Amabella
1. Prayer of mendings from different priests should not overwrite each other.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/02/2013 05:43 AMPosted by Morenn
If you aren't taking enough damage to break shield... don't use shield or pull more. If you are taking that little of damage your healing via Atonement will keep you alive.

But then you lose the QoL value of shields reducing pushback. Facetanking things in cloth while casting cast-time spells isn't exactly a whole lot of fun, at least for me.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Kaels
But then you lose the QoL value of shields reducing pushback. Facetanking things in cloth while casting cast-time spells isn't exactly a whole lot of fun, at least for me.

You would, but that is better? than saying we should basically have PW:S up permanently. If it's not breaking then you are not needing to (wanting to) cast it again while you can't (WS). If the duration is extended... you are never unshielded while under WS so you would have some sort of damage absorb up all.of.the.time with no downside at all. I just can't see that as a good thing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/02/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Morenn
we should basically have PW:S up permanently.

We already can have PWS up permanently while questing at low levels. We just have to drink too often because Rapture doesn't proc.

If it's not breaking then you are not needing to (wanting to) cast it again while you can't (WS).

True. But you need to cast it again when it, and WS, expire. Which is expensive. Rapture is supposed to counter that cost so you can use it every 15 seconds or so for soloing and tank healing, but it's not working as intended below level 80ish.

If the duration is extended... you are never unshielded while under WS so you would have some sort of damage absorb up all.of.the.time with no downside at all.

You're already never unshielded while under WS at low levels. The only current downside is needing to drink. There's no combat-related downside whatsoever, just a QOL annoyance for leveling priests as a result of the max-level raiding-related nerf to the duration.

(The duration used to be 30 seconds, which was long enough for it to break. It never really broke against quest mobs while WS was still up until you got into the current expansion's leveling content. Even when I was leveling as Holy in Wrath, I usually still had PWS up when WS expired until I got into Wrath content.)
Edited by Kaels on 2/2/2013 4:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 04:54 PMPosted by Kaels
You're already never unshielded while under WS at low levels. The only current downside is needing to drink. There's no combat-related downside whatsoever, just a QOL annoyance for leveling priests as a result of the max-level raiding-related nerf to the duration.

I never said there was in combat-related downside only that there was a downside. Extending the duration does away with even that much.

That said, is this really even a thing? Are levelling disc priests really having to stop and drink frequently? I, really and truly, do not recall having to stop and drink while questing/levelling with any of my three at all, never mind frequently enough to devote the length of the first post to it. Not saying that is not your, or OP's, experience... just....not one I share.

And the easiest option, as I said in my first post, is pull more so your shield is popped. :)

edit: I should say I am not particularly against this idea, I am just a firm believer in unintended results and if there is an easier way to fix an issue on the personal level... it should be addressed there. Extending the length of the shield (or lowering the amount it shields for at lower levels) is fine.. but when you change the duration based on smiting.. things could get hinky.
Edited by Morenn on 2/2/2013 5:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/02/2013 05:08 PMPosted by Morenn
I never said there was in combat-related downside only that there was a downside. Extending the duration does away with even that much.

Well, I just don't think an out-of-combat QoL downside is a good way to balance any mechanic, much yet one that's being appropriately used in a way that should be encouraged.

That said, is this really even a thing? Are levelling disc priests really having to stop and drink frequently?

My beta alt priest had issues starting around level 30 or so. It certainly wasn't as bad as leveling as Shadow in Cata, but it was un-fun.

And the easiest option, as I said in my first post, is pull more so your shield is popped. :)

I haven't always found this to be possible. Also, since Disc doesn't have a cleave, you're talking about pulling extra targets that you aren't even DPSing for the sole purpose of standing there hitting you until your shield breaks. And then, when your shield inevitably does break, you've got WS up, so you're standing there with not just one but several targets attacking you while you facetank them in cloth attempting to cast spells. Just seems silly to me, and definitely not an improvement.

Extending the length of the shield (or lowering the amount it shields for at lower levels) is fine.. but when you change the duration based on smiting.. things could get hinky.

Extending the duration (of your own personal shield, we're not talking about all the shields in the raid here) based on smiting is actually a neat way to target solo Disc without really affecting raiding or PvP or the other specs.

(I suppose it's theoretically possible to gain a tiny bit of survivability in PvP, but if your opponents are leaving your shield unbroken and undispelled for 15 seconds and letting you you just hang out smiting them, you probably don't need the help.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Actually regarding questing/levelling... the biggest problem I've found is the sheer lack of any viable interrupt.

Take, for example, the quest target for Golden Lotus dailies, the butcher dude.

His one ability, devastation(?) is interrupt-able. It's on a relatively short CD (seems to be about 15-17 seconds), but nothing my pally can't handle with rebuke. To my knowledge - priests don't have any viable short cd interrupts at all. And on this ability, roots have zero effect since it's just as "devastating" at a distance - even a distance at max casting range.

Not to be confused with his decapitating swing, which ironically, I can eat easily at a whopping 16k or so.

His devastate hits for about 116k on both pally and priest - but - my pally can reliably shut it down. Since I don't even have arcane torrent as a goblin, I don't even have a LONG term CD. I pretty much have to eat most of them and waste time and mana healing back up. It also never fails that a "friendly" target will wander by (hi, mr golden lotus scout staying just within range!) to eat my atonement heals.

I'm not sure what kind of tool I'd suggest that wouldn't be too good for pvp - but there have been other abilities that are either unusable or restricted in use in pvp.

In response to the mana issues others have brought up - my only issue as a priest through several xpacs is remembering to throw mindbender up whenever he's available, since the CD is so much shorter than the old shadowfiend. It's actually taken some adjustment to get used to using the little sucker as an integral part of my arsenal instead of an "oh CRAP" button.
Edited by Shankari on 2/3/2013 5:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/02/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Shankari
Actually regarding questing/levelling... the biggest problem I've found is the sheer lack of any viable interrupt.

Oh, yeah, that is annoying as fcuk. Questing on my shaman, I've really had occasion to notice the difference. Priests do have the advantage of being able to heal through most interruptible abilities without issue, but so do shamans and paladins, and they still have interrupts.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]