Funny Patch Notes

90 Undead Priest
Anyone else think it was funny that the 5.2 notes started out with GC saying Warriors and Hunters were too strong, but was afraid S.Priest might be flying under the radar? And with this latest round of notes, S.Priest is hands down the most nerfed class in the patch.

I ended Cata and started MoP as a Feral/Balance Druid. I rolled a Priest for the first time ever (starting in Vanilla), because it's the only class I struggled against as a Feral, and I wanted to know it better. I ended up falling in love with it, and my MoP experience shifted from "Waiting for the FFXIV relaunch" to "I'm actually having fun with this!".

To be honest, I was fine with the DP and healing change. I think they were misplaced changes, but they didn't make me facepalm when I read them. My Balance Druid does more burst, the same DoT, and more healing with better mobility and is more survivable than my Shadow. The Solar/Lunar mechanic is less clunky and more rewarding than Shadow orbs, AND doesn't force me to choose between Burst/Healing and CC. But I digress, it doesn't matter that Balance is already superior.

You know what's definitely the funniest part though? They didn't even fix what people complained about the most: Void Shift. A percentage health swap from 40 yards that takes people out of Execute range almost no matter what? And skips things like Battle Fatigue, Mortal Strike, and Necrosis? Yeah, probably a little bit too strong for PvP; Kinda obvious.

So instead of addressing the real issues, I read the notes today and see: Phantasm, The Nerfening. I guess the goal is to address Void Shift indirectly by cycling S.Priest out entirely?

Wow. Just wow. I could fart out better ideas, but this is what you guys thought was wrong with Priest? Here, I'll do it right now:

• Void Shift - This ability no longer heals for more HP than was traded.
  • Void Shift - This ability now applies an initial heal for 50% of the HP traded, an applies a HoT for the remaining 50% over an 8s duration. The HoT is considered a Magic effect (can be dispelled), and is reduced by effects such as Battle Fatigue and Mortal Strike.
  • Bam! Those two are for free. Pick one: Void Shift fixed, masses are sated, crisis averted. But Phantasm? An fun ability that let's you get a few VTs out from range help keeping you relevant even when being trained? Let's you pseudo interrupt casting (like FeignDeath), which only punishes people not paying attention?

And Dispersion? I could understand this if it was an ability like Ice Block or Divine Shield, but it's not. On my Feral, I lick my chops when I hear Dispersion. All I have to do is Cyclone and wait. If I have more than 50% HP and a trinket CD, that Priest is dead, even in 5.1. But 5.2? I'll just train SPriests all match because... what can they really do to shake a melee?

Like I hinted at in the beginning, I started MoP with the intent of quitting for FFXIV. But it just drives me batty that for the first time since WotLK, I found, in a class I had never even tried, a real reason to be excited to get off work and come home. Something that actually made me stop and think, "Holy crap, maybe I'm not just waiting on FFXIV, this is actually fun".
    Edited by Kyzr on 2/2/2013 3:26 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    60 Human Warrior
    Blizzard, hire this man. He makes sense, where your patch notes do not.
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Priest
    02/03/2013 01:01 AMPosted by Diamorphine

Got to agree there.
    Reply Quote
    90 Gnome Priest
    I disagree with you about void shift concerning healing priests.

YES, I think it's too strong for shadow, NO I don't think it's too strong for disc/holy.

Then again, part of what made it too strong for shadow was the fact that you could flash heal yourself back to full again pretty quickly. It made people mad that a dps could do that.
    That isn't out of the question of a healer though.
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Priest
    02/03/2013 06:43 AMPosted by Icymorning

Got to agree there.

Kinda funny. Back in TBC, me (going by Keaoi at the time) and several other players on major raiding guilds from Illidan, came up with a comprehensive fix for Hunters switching back to Focus (like it was in beta). The thread maxed out and was copied, and re-maxed out 4 times during TBC; Being reposted by other players in PvE/Raiding and General Forums.

In the thread, we introduced concepts like Sniper Stance, Aspect of the Fox, Kill Command; All kinds of cool !@#$ that was more or less copied; In some cases verbatim. The most hilarious was when years later, we saw that they exactly copied what we had suggested for Steady Shot; A Focus builder.

Not saying we were responsible for the changes, but maybe responsible in getting just enough people to ask for a change in the first place; Felt good.

I'd happily be a PvP-Dev if they'd have me.

But there's a method to the madness of buff/nerf. Someone has to be at the bottom, and if you were Blizzard, wouldn't you control it? I don't think these changes are absent minded; I think they're targeting a demographic for "encouraged" rerolls.

I disagree with you about void shift concerning healing priests.

YES, I think it's too strong for shadow, NO I don't think it's too strong for disc/holy.

Then again, part of what made it too strong for shadow was the fact that you could flash heal yourself back to full again pretty quickly. It made people mad that a dps could do that.
    That isn't out of the question of a healer though.

Well to be honest, it's even easier for a Disc/Holy to quickly bounce back from a swap than Shadow, but even so, that's why we're getting 30% Heal-Burst nerfs. And Shadow healing is already worse than Elemental, Enhance, Balance, and Feral. After 5.2, even if Priest kept their 5.1 Heals, Ret-Paladin will also be better. Shadow is actually the worst Hybrid healer, if you ignore Ret (Which on PTR, is carrying 3x DPS 3s teams with their heals; It's that good).

The problem with Void Shift is that there is no counter for it. Any heal that gets to skip Battle Fatigue and Mortal Strike is crazy strong. One that does that, and usually heals them to full? There's a reason Lay on Hands isn't in arenas anymore.

Honestly, they should just make it like a reverse Devouring Plague. 50% upfront, 50% overtime, can be removed. Give the benefiting player the Magic buff so it can be dispelled, and reduced by MS/Battle Fatigue; The swapping player a physical linked "DoT"; Bam, fixed.

Who can honestly say they wouldn't love to see the healing changes (arguably targeting Void Shift indirectly) reverted, Phantasm/Dispersion reverted; If it meant trading Void Shift to the above state? We still have our burst lowered via the Mind Spike and DP nerfs, and our utility (Void Shift being the only thing people were ACTUALLY complaining about), can still be burst through or responded to.

If Blizzard's reason for nerfing Phantasm is that it's too popular, shouldn't that be a huge indicator how easy it is to train on a Priest? Blows my mind that their first reaction a "required" talent is "How can we nerf this?" rather than, "What's wrong with the other two?" or "What's wrong overall?".

The only thing that's encouraging to me is that if they did a complete 360 on Warrior, they can do it on Priest.
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Priest
    And Dispersion? I could understand this if it was an ability like Ice Block or Divine Shield, but it's not. On my Feral, I lick my chops when I hear Dispersion. All I have to do is Cyclone and wait. If I have more than 50% HP and a trinket CD, that Priest is dead, even in 5.1. But 5.2? I'll just train SPriests all match because... what can they really do to shake a melee?

please revert the changes to fade and dispersion

blizz please stop listening t insane QQ from people. flash heal cant heal for over 100k there is no reason to nerf something like that ...

and this phantasm / dispersion changes are too much. if anyone has played against a melee toon in the last 3-4 weeks you might also understand that people tear up shadow priests when a shadow priest cannot cast vampiric touch or mind blast.

phantasm is really one of the only ways to even cast TWO spells every 30 seconds in the cc heavy arena that exists today.

thats the only reason why priests are doing well.

people that have complete target drops in the game since vanilla or early TBC

HUNTER

MAGE

ROGUE

its important to note the night elf racial does this as well.

thanks for giving shadow priests an ability that no one else has ever had in the game, it was fun for shadow priests to get it first though!
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    Reply Quote
    90 Gnome Priest
    02/02/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Kyzr
    S.Priest is hands down the most nerfed class in the patch.

pvp related. not relevant in pve

02/02/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Kyzr
    The Solar/Lunar mechanic is less clunky and more rewarding than Shadow orbs

pvp related. not relevant in pve. in pve i feel extremely rewarded by the damage from plague and most times, it is my number 1 damaging ability.

Void Shift - This ability no longer heals for more HP than was traded.
    Void Shift - This ability now applies an initial heal for 50% of the HP traded, an applies a HoT for the remaining 50% over an 8s duration. The HoT is considered a Magic effect (can be dispelled), and is reduced by effects such as Battle Fatigue and Mortal Strike.

doing this will completely destroy its pve utility.

However, both phantasm and dispersion is too much. I'd be okay with one or the other tbh but both is overboard.
    Reply Quote
    100 Undead Priest
    Pretty sure void shift never healed anyone to full unless priest/person being swapped is already full. It just trades percentages, if im at 50% and they are 50% it only adds 25% To the lower of the 2. If im 100% and they are 5% it will put me at 25% and them at 100% its really not that amazing you can hard swap to the spriest if they do it without dispersion and gg.
    Reply Quote
    1 Human Priest
    1. Make Void Shift unusable in arenas given its similarity to Lay on Hands.
    2. Reverse the other nerfs.
    3. ...
    4. Win at life?
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Priest
    Make life swap cost 1 shadow orb for a 50% health swap, and 2 shadow orbs for 100% health swap & revert the recent nerfs. I just can't see myself getting a cast off, or living for longer than 10 seconds otherwise. Especially since they've now decided NOT to take away blanket silences.
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Warlock
    Make life swap cost 1 shadow orb for a 50% health swap, and 2 shadow orbs for 100% health swap & revert the recent nerfs. I just can't see myself getting a cast off, or living for longer than 10 seconds otherwise. Especially since they've now decided NOT to take away blanket silences.

how do you specify which quantity of orbs you want to consume? would you have to waste one just to swap 50%?
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Priest

pvp related. not relevant in pve

Actually, S.Priest losing the Mind Spike Glyph is still a PvE nerf. Considering the class is already #23 out of 24 DPS classes, what you just said is both wrong and condescending to PvPers (whom this thread is already about).

pvp related. not relevant in pve. in pve i feel extremely rewarded by the damage from plague and most times, it is my number 1 damaging ability.

Because you only use it for half the skills shadow orbs are used for, its ok? Not to mention, you didn't even address the comparison between the Balance mechanic. So basically you're just here to say that you don't like PvP? How is that relevant to a thread about PvP?

doing this will completely destroy its pve utility.

How? Most tanks are already above 600k, and AoE raid damage is so low at the moment that the Priest is almost always 90+ %. So even if the tank is at 1hp, we're still talking a 300k burst heal, with a 300k HoT component. In fact, with fights that do have heavy AoE damage, the Priest is WAY less likely to die as a result of this. This would honestly be a PvE buff.

However, both phantasm and dispersion is too much. I'd be okay with one or the other tbh but both is overboard.

Now you're not even being consistent. Why as a PvE player, do you care about Phantasm and Dispersion? When are you getting locked out of Shadow? And why are you wasting a talent choice on Phantasm when Fade already lasts longer as an aggro dump than Phantasm's target dropping.

1. Make Void Shift unusable in arenas given its similarity to Lay on Hands.
    2. Reverse the other nerfs.
    3. ...
    4. Win at life?

If they increased the CD to 10mins just to automatically get it out of arenas, I don't think too many people would rage. My suggestion was just to try and keep the new MoP skill in arenas while addressing the only real concern people had about Shadow in Arenas.

02/03/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Cptnspriest
    Pretty sure void shift never healed anyone to full unless priest/person being swapped is already full. It just trades percentages, if im at 50% and they are 50% it only adds 25% To the lower of the 2. If im 100% and they are 5% it will put me at 25% and them at 100% its really not that amazing you can hard swap to the spriest if they do it without dispersion and gg.

As I said before, the problem is that the heal skips healing reduction, but used right, every team has to kill their target twice within 6 minutes. Not a lot of teams are running attrition comps right now, so the likelihood that one person is above 90% is pretty high.
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Priest
    Can never get they're fkn numbers right.. quitting this game when 5.2 hits
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Priest
    WALLOFTEXT
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Priest
    Reply Quote
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Priest

Agree
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Priest
    If you want this seen, post it to the Damage Dealing forum. Class forums aren't really used for feedback much due to the fact that a lot of times they're just circle jerky sound boards.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]