Leveling as healer

90 Pandaren Warrior
Hey guys I was wondering about leveling a healer.

Lets say resto shammy. How should I level?
As in should I level as resto? Or only in dungeons?
Like when I'm questing should I switch to ele?

What would be fastest way?

I'm so used to tanking and insta q's lol
That I know more questing will be involved then when I leveled my tank
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
At lower levels, you can almost quest naked in any spec, but at higher ones, it does help to have a DPS spec. Queue times for healers are generally as short as the tank queues, and often shorter for the 58-68 dungeons as all the new DK tanks come in. It is only once you reach 85+ that the healer queues start to get a bit long.

You may also want to pop into a random BG as a healer every now and then, as it tends to be better practice than the lower level dungeons, and a win is almost a full level's worth of XP. Unless you have a massively fail group, lower level dungeons require little to no healing. I was in an Auchenai Crypts run last night on my 65 mage, and the "healer" was actually a boomkin who queued as heals. The tank was a warrior that knew what he/she was doing, so a Rejuve every now and then was really all that was needed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I once leveled as a resto shaman and it was like leveling as a ret pally years ago. Definitely go ele for questing. The gear is pretty much the same so you don't have to worry about bags space.

You can pretty much go from 15-55/60 through lfd as a healer pretty quick. After that is is faster to quest.
Edited by Sadiemay on 2/4/2013 8:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
Im doing pretty much what you are talking about. I mostly just level by healing instances. I do some questing, but not a lot. Mostly I just queue for a random, and farm for herbs. I dont think I have waited for more than 10 minutes for a random.

I went with Resto at 10, and got Elemental at 30. I sometimes quest as ele, but its really not that big of a deal. You still have Lava Burst, your lightening spells, and totems.

As far as healing randoms, its great practice. You will really get to know your class, and how it works very well. I have used Healbot with my healing toons forever, and it is simple to use. There are other good addons for healers also.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
I went from 15-85 doing instances. Then I leveled to 86 doing quest, and start doing instances again. I am 25% to 90 on my second Monk, and I have only been MW on him since I made him. I actually wanted to see how long it would take to hit 90 as a healer only.

It actually is very fast, and the only road blocks really is 80, and 85.. You have to quest those two levels to get the gear to get into the expansion dungeons.

I had to quest from 80-81 because i needed the higher ILvL gear from quest to get into Cata dungeons, and one I did going from 81-85 was cake. 85 was probably the hardest because again i needed to hit 86 to get access to those MoP dungeons and get the higher ILvL gear to get into them. Once I did leveling has been pretty easy.

Healers have an advantage queuing for dungeons because they are so fast. DPS queues really slow down once you hit 60, and questing is faster. I didn't even move my MW monk from stormwind once I hit 15 until he was level 80.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Picking up an Ele Spec once you can Dual Spec makes questing so much easier. You can use it with the same gear that Resto requires, espicially at lowers levels.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/04/2013 10:34 AMPosted by Darobette
How do I level without Healbot or some other fancy addon with this character? I like Holy and that roleplay style I want play.

Mouseover macros are good for one. Or you can just use the blizzard Raid style party frames and position spells on your hotbar for easy access
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Priests can quest easily in non-shadow. Shaman cannot do this, I had to go ele.

Picking up an Ele Spec once you can Dual Spec makes questing so much easier. You can use it with the same gear that Resto requires, especially at lowers levels.

^^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]