Opinions on PoM 5.2

90 Goblin Mage
Since the Pom/RoF nerf is coming in 5.2, I think PoM will be useless to take considering it takes 2 seconds (depending on haste) b4 it freezes the target. Considering you could cast RoF in 1.8 secs or less depending on ur haste and get an instant freeze, I think it will be best to take another talent.

Thoughts?

Edit: Or most mages might switch to Ice Ward and it will finally be valuable.
Edited by Accumulate on 2/5/2013 2:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I don't like the RoF changes at all. The point of RoF is to be used to quickly stop the enemy no matter where they are around you. Good luck getting someone to stand in it for 2 seconds...
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
i actually like this change, it actually frees up more option more PoM and it just takes more skills to play with ROF where you have to try and predict your enemies movement and not just drop it on top of them. it will rely more on dk's grip in order to be more effective but i dont think RoF will be a major problem for frost mages, though we may have a smaller chances of getting into rbg but not a big issue if you have a good guild running.

now with the buff to frostbolt's damage and none glyphed deep freeze, i can see a df>pom fb>ice lance combo being more effective and PoM should also be the same due to its versatility.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
I donno if any1 will waste PoM for FB alone tho kortar when they could save it for a sheep or something Kortar.
Reply Quote
The change to RoF having a 2 second activation time is silly unless Blizzard makes things like Spell Reflect take 2 seconds to activate or fear take 2 seconds to trigger to give us a chance to get away when we see it cast...

or, get rid of the RoF animation until the 2 seconds are up.

Because now it's gonna be a huge "OMFG get out of me" and it makes 0 sense to PoM it anymore considering you might as well cast it and save the PoM for a sheep or something that won't save your life.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Because frost mages really needed ANOTHER instant freeze-u ability.

PoM is supposed to be a situational spell that can add burst, or provide instant sheep, or provide an instant frost ring that forces the enemy's hand, but doesn't just instantly freeze a whole group of them with no possible warning.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I doubt i'll ever choose POM now. It'll be icy floes for pve and blazing speed for pvp.

Not sure about the flameglow talent. As a mage, I usually do not just stand still and let mobs beat down on me. So ice barrier usually works out well. I'd have to try it out in PTR to see if it really competes with ice barrier while questing. For raiding, temporal is still the main choice.
Flameglow might work really well in pvp with blazing speed and incantors ward and the new cold snap.

I wonder if flameglow stacks with the defensive part of molten armor?
Edited by Derìk on 2/5/2013 10:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
RoF will still play an important role in RBGs, even if it requires a cast.

A Druid Vortex and RoF on same area for example.

Or an instant-Poly followed up with RoF.

Since Scorch will be a Fire-only Talent, some Fire Mages might use PoM to cast instant-Pyroblast,

[Edit: added content]
Edited by Dactylion on 2/5/2013 10:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
So what used to be ONE ability has now been made to require TWO talents, each with CDs. This is pretty retarded.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Honestly I can see more mages taking Ice Ward now with Blazing speed more than likely lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Not sure about the flameglow talent. As a mage, I usually do not just stand still and let mobs beat down on me. So ice barrier usually works out well. I'd have to try it out in PTR to see if it really competes with ice barrier while questing. For raiding, temporal is still the main choice.
Flameglow might work really well in pvp with blazing speed and incantors ward and the new cold snap.

I was wondering about that, too. 20% of your spell power isn't a lot, though. Assuming your spell power is 25000, that's 5000 damage reduction - unless the attack did less than 16667 damage in which case it'll reduce it by 30%.

Compared to ice barrier, that sucks in all but the most unusual situations. Think about it:
1. You get hit for a ton of damage (like a Chaos Bolt for 200k)... If you use Temporal Shield, you would heal it back completely if you survive. Ice Barrier would eat away ~80k and you'd lose 120k. Flameglow, a stupid sounding name BTW, would just eat 5k and you'd lose the remaining 195k. You'd have to get hit for at least another 250k (16.7k x 15 more hits) before the damage mitigation of Flameglow would equal 80k. And you're very unlikely to get hit 15 times for exactly 16667 damage so for heavy hits, Ice Barrier generally wins.
2. You are soloing old content and everything hits for an average of 1k. Temporal Shield sucks in this case since it'll only give back 4 seconds of every 24 seconds of damage. Ice Barrier will completely absorb 80 attacks for no damage! By the time it's down, you can probably throw up another shield. This new talent will only absorb 300 damage of each attack so the only way this would be better than Ice Barrier is if you're pulling so many mobs that they are eating away Ice Barrier immediately. So if you're taking 80k per second in small hits and getting healed, Flameglow is definitely better, but that's a dangerous amount of damage to get comparable mitigation.
3. You're taking a steady 25k per second (1 hit per second for 25k) over a period of 25 seconds. In this case, Flameglow wins. Your ice barrier will only block the first 80k. Temporal Shield will heal back 100k. Flameglow, however, would actually mitigate 125k in this instance.

You have to take a large volume of small hits in a relatively short period of time for Flameglow to be worthwhile.
Edited by Beaumagnus on 2/6/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
PoM will continue to be a great talent especially with AT combos. This new change might also allow Ice Ward to shine since it's the only talent in that tier that may be placed on friendly targets (saves an extra frost nova pet use and/or having to run in and nova/DB).

02/06/2013 12:55 PMPosted by Beaumagnus
You have to take a large volume of small hits in a relatively short period of time for Flameglow to be worthwhile.

Rogues, ferals, hunters and their pets, DoT classes, and/or anything outside their burst window.
Edited by Jamlielle on 2/6/2013 1:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I'll continue taking RoF regardless if I spec PoM or not, it's an amazing spell.

Also, it's REALLY not hard to root then pom ring. We got away with it in cata, we can do it again
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/06/2013 01:04 PMPosted by Jamlielle
Rogues, ferals, hunters and their pets, DoT classes, and/or anything outside their burst window.
I don't do a lot of PvP. I was thinking more PvE. But in hindsight, the talent it's replacing is not very useful outside PvP so maybe that's intentional.

In PvP, I could see it being useful since you apparently can't steal/dispel it and not everything cleaves you for big chunks of damage. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if it barely breaks even with the other 2 for usage. I could be wrong, I'm a PvP newb.

In PvE, it seems like you have to be mage-tanking for this to be a good choice. Most raid bosses don't hit mages soft enough or often enough for the mitigation to compete with Ice Barrier or Temporal Shield. And if you're doing dailies by yourself, forget it... Ice Barrier is going to win hands down.

If anything, I see this getting buffed before the end of the expansion. They'll probably buff the max damage reduction to 40% and maybe increase the absorption to 25% depending on how many people use it.
I'd be really surprised if so many people take this that it gets nerfed.
Edited by Beaumagnus on 2/7/2013 8:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
For all of you arguing that it now takes 2 talents to get what we had in cataclysm, remember that RoF used to be a 2 minute cooldown, now it's basically 1.5 minutes and a shorter coalescing time (it used to be 3 seconds). Doing PoM+RoF is still good, use it on a choke, use it after FN, or w/e. It just lets you like..... do more things with PoM. Stop complaining that they made it not retardedly overpowered and play with the tools we have, don't depend on a single ability so much.

Also, what's with the hyperbolic "PoM is useless now blizz, GG" stuff? It's a fantastic ability in PvE and PvP. If your entire PvP strategy revolves around the usage of PoM+RoF, you are probably doing something wrong. Use the tools that are given to you, don't depend on one that was pretty freaking OP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]