Dethroning GM

90 Draenei Death Knight
No idea what the poster above me is talking about. I don't call people out, but y point of view is that everything I had assumed was actually correct. But this is off-topic and irrelevant now.
Edited by Eliil on 2/2/2013 2:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Would such a system keep you on the correct "moral" path with your guild bank funds?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
02/02/2013 01:40 AMPosted by Whitebunny
Would such a system keep you on the correct "moral" path with your guild bank funds?

Most likely, yes. I don't like being in a position of absolute power, it's just at the moment, I'm the only person I trust not to go kicking the whole guild for no reason, but people judge you harshly for the decisions/choices you make, which is part of why I've spent less and less time on that server, and more time working on a horde toon in another guild. I would have honestly have preferred to have been overthrown, that have had people lie to me and stuff, as weird as that sounds.
Edited by Eliil on 2/2/2013 2:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
*off-topic*
Not calling anyone out. Cannot do that. Against forum rules. But can confirm this; some people I might have spoken to for a long time, but I don't know WHO certain people that I've met in the game are at all. I don't know if they are people that occasionally make mistakes they regret deeply, or if they they are people that have become set in their ways they are like an arch-nemesis. Cannot see.

We have heated conversations in wow, and that's fine, I don't mind heated argument, if anything, I've opened myself up to a LOT of heated debates, so long as it doesn't get PERSONAL that's the main thing. I don't mind my ideas or way of thinking being completely and utterly attacked on the forums.

*on-topic*
Not expecting people to say 'no you're in the right', that would be boring. I mean people should give others credit, where credit is due for sure, but in no way when I started this thread did I expect everyone to agree that the system was a good idea. Considering standing down as GM of a guild, but not sure who to give it to yet. I was just thinking that if the guild could put the matter to a vote somehow, so someone better and more capable could step up to the plate, but I see the point, that it would be very easy for a group of people out to grief others got together to overthrow GM's, it would make it unworkable, which is a shame.
Edited by Eliil on 2/2/2013 8:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
*off-topic*
Not calling anyone out. Cannot do that. Against forum rules. But can confirm this; some people I might have spoken to for a long time, but I don't know WHO certain people that I've met in the game are at all. I don't know if they are people that occasionally make mistakes they regret deeply, or if they they are people that have become set in their ways they are like an arch-nemesis. Cannot see.

We have heated conversations in wow, and that's fine, I don't mind heated argument, if anything, I've opened myself up to a LOT of heated debates, so long as it doesn't get PERSONAL that's the main thing. I don't mind my ideas or way of thinking being completely and utterly attacked on the forums.

*on-topic*
Not expecting people to say 'no you're in the right', that would be boring. I mean people should give others credit, where credit is due for sure, but in no way when I started this thread did I expect everyone to agree that the system was a good idea. Considering standing down as GM of a guild, but not sure who to give it to yet. I was just thinking that if the guild could put the matter to a vote somehow, so someone better and more capable could step up to the plate, but I see the point, that it would be very easy for a group of people out to grief others got together to overthrow GM's, it would make it unworkable, which is a shame.

you obviously just love messing with your guild..you made a previous thread that said you wanted to take all your guilds gold to buy a yak since you are the top contributer DX.....ima cry at your gleader
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
*off-topic*
No, what was said in the other thread was that I was thinking about using guild funds but did not feel comfortable with the idea, it didn't feel 'right' to me. I don't recall saying I actually WANTED to do it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
"Hi, I'm the top person of guild contribution in my guild, and I WANT to withdraw 100k from my guild bank so I can buy that bloody yak"
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Oh well maybe I did then. It's no matter, the mods obviously decided to lock that thread so the discussion there is closed.

So does anyone have any other ideas on creating fairer guild structures, or is the current way things are, just right?
Edited by Eliil on 2/4/2013 12:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
58 Draenei Hunter
I agree with the other posters while it sounds good in theory in practice it would have the opposite effect. Guild leaders would have to fear reprimanding members, at the moment it involves having to explain the rules and presenting a reasoned argument, because we would have to consider a palace revolt and losing the Guild.

I am sure every guild has gone through the clique. Where a small or large group seeks to impose thier idea on the guild, this would enable them to do that. Late at night few guildies on the clique all log on and dispose the leader.

While I agree with democracy as a principle, implementing it in a way that would not lead to abuse is hard to do. At the moment you can leave a guild if you do not like it. Voting with your feet is what it is called.

Maybe a 75% yes vote of active members (no alts) over 2 weeks with a nonkick rule for that period? While it theoretically could be done as a programe, you would have too question why 75% of the players had remained in the guild. I coud see this failing in smaller guilds and having the effect of stopping recruiting. A small 10 man guild would always be looking at new recruits taking over thier guild.

I am afraid we are stuck with the present system.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I like you Wakes. You always stick to the topic and discuss the issues at hand, and never derail threads. I appreciate it, and I'm sure the rest of the forum community does as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/04/2013 12:01 AMPosted by Eliil
or is the current way things are, just right?

The current way is just right.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Current guild structures are extremely fair; if you are GM of a guild then you are in charge as long as you stay active. If you are in a guild that you don't like, you can either convince the GM to change the guild or leave yourself. Forming or joining a guild is easy, and it's not hard to find open-invite level 25 guilds if you want perks.

Proposals for different leadership structures that I've seen are all either grossly unfair (20 random social members can take control from an established raiding/pvp crew) or require constant Blizzard judgement calls (which isn't going to happen).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/04/2013 12:01 AMPosted by Eliil
So does anyone have any other ideas on creating fairer guild structures, or is the current way things are, just right?

This thread still lives? wow

I've posted a lot on this topic in other threads, including the once-sticky called "Changes to Inactive Guild Leader Replacement". Basically, I think WHO can over throw the gm is good as it stands, and the fact that an active gm CANNOT be overthrown is exactly perfect. My only quibble is how long it takes to overthrow an inactive gm (I think 30 days was better), and perhaps that all 3 upper ranks get the ability to dethrone at the same time.
Edited by Nebliina on 2/4/2013 1:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
The way it is at the moment is fine.... If a Gm turns into a dictator or just isnt up to scratch as a GM then you will find people will start leaving on mass and joining or forming another guild together... believe it or not but people in guilds tend to talk to eachother and form lil cliques. there is nothing you can do to stop this. All you can do is be a fair GM I guess... If people like you people will stay
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
It's hard for me to get out of the mentality that the main point of being in the guild is for the perks, but I am going to do a little of an experiment right now. I've recently made a new guild, and don't know how to recruit members. I want it to be democratic as possible though, the LAST thing I want is for lots of members to just end up not being happy, and not tell me, but I would have to weigh up exactly what I will/won't compromise on.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/04/2013 08:19 PMPosted by Eliil
I want it to be democratic as possible

bah
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Well there are some things that I don't want to compromise anymore, such as my freedom of expression (so long as it doesn't violate the TOS), but there comes a point when you know, if more than one member isn't happy with me, I would want them ALL to speak up, rather than just plotting behind my back! It's either that, or just be very selective of who I invite, even if it means it will take longer to get the perks? What's wrong with that?
Edited by Eliil on 2/4/2013 9:32 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]