Mana Regen and Holy

87 Blood Elf Priest
I know we have some mana regen issues, but I don't know if I'm running with terrible people or if I'm terrible, but after each pull I am OOM. I'm currently doing Cata Heroics and while I can keep people alive, it's not as, uh, flawless as I thought it would be.

I have an ilvl of 399, with 5632 int/ 4164 spirit
Haste 14.14, Mastery 18.75

Edit: Recount says my overall hps is 29k hps overall, with a variation for current fight situations from 12k to 33k hps

I don't think I'm particularly lacking in spirit, so maybe it's that my choice of spells are too many costly?

I always have inner fire up, and chakra: sanctuary for 5 mans because everyone seems to take a lot of dmg. Since this is my first char, I'm not sure what is bad playing and what is bad healing.

I try not to use flash heal, and circle of healing bc they are expensive. If I do use flash heal, I'll use the greater heal proc from it-- I try never to waste that. I make good use of PoH, and PoM and the occasional bubble (nearly always on the tank, or on someone who from some mechanic will be falling or in an unavailable high dmg encounter).

I just find that I can barely keep the tank alive, let alone the other party members. On top of that, I'm having trouble keeping enough mana through a fight. I'll use my mana pet, my Hymn of Hope, drink potions, and I'm still parched for mana.

Any tips? Is it due to my haste?

Thanks everyone--
Edited by Kadeeternal on 2/1/2013 6:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Why are you doing Cata heroics, if I may ask? You're better off just trying to level and doing MoP normals.

Anyway, you definitely should be casting Circle of Healing. It's not cheap, but it does a good amount of healing and it's still cheaper than Prayer of Healing. PoH is very expensive, and while it's your best group heal, it's going to devour your mana.

For 5 mans, I would actually recommend using Chakra: Serenity most of the time. Renew does some great healing, and you can keep it rolling indefinitely on a tank. If you have 2 or 3 people taking light damage, just throw Renews on them instead of popping Prayer of Healing. HW:Serenity is a very efficient spell, and with light damage going out, you should also be casting Heal a lot. Don't use Prayer of Healing unless you have 3+ people taking damage.

If your tank is having trouble staying alive, it's probably him and not you. At 399 gear, you're WAY overgeared for Cata heroics, so the problem sounds like the tank isn't mitigating properly.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you, I wasn't sure if I should swap chakra stances and start single target healing. I glyphed renew in case I did do that, however.

I'm doing cata heroics because I am new to the game (completely and entirely a MoP baby!). I want to experience them before I move onto other content, as does my guild. Additionally, we're going to go as a group in a few weeks to start farming the achiements in the cata heroics and I wanted to be as ready as possible.

How much healing should Circle of Healing do? It seems like I can barely see the heal it provides. I'm using helium for my UI and when it shows incoming heals, I barely see the green inc heals for CoH. Is this usual?

Thanks again. Your response was excellent.
Reply Quote
Thank you, I wasn't sure if I should swap chakra stances and start single target healing. I glyphed renew in case I did do that, however.

I'm doing cata heroics because I am new to the game (completely and entirely a MoP baby!). I want to experience them before I move onto other content, as does my guild. Additionally, we're going to go as a group in a few weeks to start farming the achiements in the cata heroics and I wanted to be as ready as possible.

How much healing should Circle of Healing do? It seems like I can barely see the heal it provides. I'm using helium for my UI and when it shows incoming heals, I barely see the green inc heals for CoH. Is this usual?

Thanks again. Your response was excellent.

A single CoH won't do a ton of healing, but over the fight, it adds up. In a 5 man, it's not unusual for CoH to be in my top 3 heals. I wouldn't recommend casting it on cooldown since a lot of that healing's gonna be wasted, but it's still an instant heal that will hit everyone in the group. But in my experience, most mana problems come from overuse of Prayer of Healing. Before you cast PoH, think if it's really necessary. It's a great heal, but it's so expensive that you can't afford to use it every time it seems helpful. You need to decide if you'll be better off just casting single target heals on 2 or 3 people in Serenity chakra. If there are periods of high damage going out, then you might switch to Sanctuary (and don't bother using HW:Sanctuary, it does pathetic healing).

Mainly though, if your group is taking so much damage, it's probably that the tank isn't playing correctly and that people are ignoring fight mechanics.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you, that was really helpful. I think if I start using PoH less and start using CoH more, that might fix the issue. I also do enjoy PW:S, which I know is expensive and I try not to use that unless it's absolutely needed. Usually I do it before I know a big hit is coming, or if a DPS is dying simulataneously to the tank, and I need just a few seconds to get to him so I bubble him until I can attend to him.

EDIT: It could be that due to haste, I am spoiled on the reduced cast time of PoH and don't realise my overuse of it.
Edited by Kadeeternal on 2/1/2013 6:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Unless scaling is !@#-backwards at 85, PoH is much more efficient than CoH. Just watch your overheal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I spent most of my leveling time to 90 into chackra chastise. With "from the darkness comes light" and divine insight talents, most of my heals were free to cast (was casting flash heal as my goto heal). I switched chakra states only when i knew high damage was coming. Plus, in chackra chastise i was most of he time top dps in aoe pulls and for some reason little healing was needed.

At 85 dont even look at cata heroics. Move on into normal mop instances and have fun with your talents procs, free and insta heals while topping dps meters :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You shouldn't have mana issue, even with Cata Heroics. I wish I could have a group doing Cata Heroics while leveling up at 85, because those 4 normal MoP dungeons just get boring really fast. However, they offer good upgrades.

Stay in Inner Will to save mana. With the glyph, Renew works out really good and it's cheap in mana, too. When the group gets all low, don't forget Divine Hymn. It's god sent. Try not to use Power Word: Shield, unless someone is close to die.

If things are still the same in MoP as in Cata, there are like 3 groups of Cata Heroics. HoT ones (those drop 378 gear), they are the easiest, and you can stay in Chakra Sanctuary, and spam AoE heals and Renews. Troll ones (those drop 353 gear), depending on the boss or trash, some are good for Serenity, and some are good for Sanctuary. Original ones (those drop 346 gear), most of them are good with Serenity. However, the troll and original ones, if the group can't face roll them and fail at important fight mechanics, they could be very mana intensive.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I've done much better with healing and mana management after watching my overheals, working on using smart healing and taking advantage of Renew (glyphed) and CoH.

Thanks everyone!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I spent most of my leveling time to 90 into chackra chastise. With "from the darkness comes light" and divine insight talents, most of my heals were free to cast (was casting flash heal as my goto heal). I switched chakra states only when i knew high damage was coming. Plus, in chackra chastise i was most of he time top dps in aoe pulls and for some reason little healing was needed.

At 85 dont even look at cata heroics. Move on into normal mop instances and have fun with your talents procs, free and insta heals while topping dps meters :D

(gasp)

Impostor!
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Lol you two do look exactly the same. Classic.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
3 empty glyph slots
10 unenchanted items
Missing Living Steel Belt Buckle
Enchanting: 2 unenchanted rings

Fix all the above and you should do MUCH better. What you don't even bothered enchanting your rings is beyond understanding.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Enchanting rings is fine, but why would you enchant gear when you're not max level? That's unnecessary.
You should have plenty of regen for any of the MoP normals. For 5 mans, as mentioned, serenity chakra is going to be the best for healing output most of time. Don't use CoH too much over PoH.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
you should be in the single target chakra when doing 5 mans. rarely do i need to switch to aoe chakra
also as a holy priest your bubble should almost never be used, it costs way to much mana and doesnt absorb enough dmge compared to other spells that consume less mana. id only use it in clutch situations where the target is 1-2 hits away from being dead just to give me enough time for a flash heal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]