Better to manage Rabid or have it on autocast

90 Pandaren Hunter
As BM in PvE, do you guys have Rabid on auto-cast, macro'ed into another ability, or manage it as a separate ability?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Before 5.1, rabid increased the pets atack power, and was worth managing to increase dps on certain abilities, like linx rush, which used to be burst instead of bleed dmg. Now, it is a huge pet haste buff, it is better to leave it on autocast as managing it will cost you uses in the long run, or lower dps cause your delaying cds to line up with it. the only case where i would manage it would be if there was a fight like nefarian in BWD where the boss has an air phase and you cant atack it with your pet.
Reply Quote
3 Pandaren Warrior
02/01/2013 08:05 AMPosted by Eurugan
Before 5.1, rabid increased the pets atack power, and was worth managing to increase dps on certain abilities, like linx rush, which used to be burst instead of bleed dmg. Now, it is a huge pet haste buff, it is better to leave it on autocast as managing it will cost you uses in the long run, or lower dps cause your delaying cds to line up with it. the only case where i would manage it would be if there was a fight like nefarian in BWD where the boss has an air phase and you cant atack it with your pet.

Wrong, use it with Bestial Wrath. I have them macroed together so its going off every other time i use BW.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
02/01/2013 09:26 AMPosted by Zergallyeah
Wrong, use it with Bestial Wrath. I have them macroed together so its going off every other time i use BW.

It's a DPS loss to do so now. Having it on auto-cast means it's 99% uptime, instead of maybe 70%.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

[quote]
02/01/2013 09:26 AMPosted by Zergallyeah

It's a DPS loss to do so now. Having it on auto-cast means it's 99% uptime, instead of maybe 70%.

I think the above is probably a truer statement. Rabid is a 1.4m cooldown, Bestial wrath is a 1m cooldown. The only way to use them together is to delay BW (Bad) or delay rabid.

in a 7m fight, autocast will get you 5 rabid uses. (0s, 1m25s, 2m50s, 4m15s, 5m40s) Uptime is ~24%

In a 7m fight, using a BW+Rabid macro you will see 3-4 uses, depending on whether or not you're delaying BW at all. Uptime is 14-19%.

The longer a fight drags on, the more potential rabids you will have been able to cast by not delaying.

That said, you can probably delay every other rabid by 10s to time it with bestial wrath and experience no loss of total uptime in a typical encounter, but this requires more active management.
Edited by Heil on 2/1/2013 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/01/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Heil
Bestial wrath is a 2m cooldown

1 minute now.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
02/01/2013 10:34 AMPosted by Beatrice
Bestial wrath is a 2m cooldown

1 minute now.

Yeah. That's a typo. My bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/01/2013 10:43 AMPosted by Heil
Yeah. That's a typo. My bad.

No worries, man. Happens to the best of us.

My two cents: I keep Rabid on Auto-Cast, because now that it's a haste buff I'd rather just have my pet keep track of it than me, one less thing to keep track of as a BM Hunter. I agree that active management could see a slight DPS increase, but it's not enough of one to be worth it to me, personally, to keep track of more CDs than I already do.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
That said, you can probably delay every other rabid by 10s to time it with bestial wrath and experience no loss of total uptime in a typical encounter, but this requires more active management.

Good idea, I'll start trying this.

and by uptime I meant activation, poorly worded. I'm sure it was obvious what I meant though.
Edited by Gullig on 2/1/2013 10:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
is someone sure if it is viable to save rapid for with bestial wrath in terms of damage, I mean, in a boss fight? or just speculations
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The info in this thread is still fairly relevant, however, the cds getting changed next patch for BM, so until we know the new base cd for rabid (longevity is getting removed), we cant say. Saving it is not necessarily viable, they cds aren't equal, so your going to lose uptime on one of them by lining them up.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
The change just puts it at the same cooldown it's already at for Beast. It's still better to just autp cast it since it's just a Haste buff now and doesn't line up with other cooldowns without delaying the effect due to its weird cooldown.

I'd rather see them up it to a 2m cooldown but make it a little stronger/last longer so it can be synced with Bestial Wrath. For MM and Surv, who cares since it doesn't do much anyways.
Edited by Bullettime on 5/8/2013 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I only manage it in PvP, because having that extra burst on RF/BW will get more kills than having the pet derp it at the wrong time.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I personally have enough things to juggle as it is (me and my one-button spec...), so I leave it on auto-cast. That is just where my investment is at, I would need to finally break my clicker habits if I wanted to get any more fine tuned control.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]