New Rep Faction in 5.2 earned from Raiding?

(Locked)

90 Human Priest
02/01/2013 11:01 AMPosted by Bashiok
"Huzzah! The hero hath once again slain many inconsequential foes, to leap through thine magic portal, and oft returneth to... doeth the same task over and again! Verily, this is a champion worthy of our shiny baubles and trinkets."
This reminds me of dailies.
Community Manager
02/01/2013 10:39 AMPosted by Omegal
The raid rep (and their delicious, delicious Valor epics) includes LFR. You will need to kill bosses though to keep progressing it. No more ICC trash rep runs.

So, regular raiders will still be running LFR whether they want to or not to min max their rep. :\

Or can you guys do something creative like killing x boss on ANY difficulty gives rep once per week, period?

Yes, you gain rep from boss kills once per week regardless of difficulty.
Community Manager
02/01/2013 11:47 AMPosted by Evangelist
This reminds me of dailies.

Sure, you can loosely apply that to any task with some variance of repetition. Feel free. Except that continuing to fight to take back areas, or retrieve items, or slay ne'er-do-wells generally makes some sense in the context of the narrative in daily hubs. Those damn monkeys stoled muh fruits again! Etc. etc.

Going into a raid and not killing bosses does not.
90 Pandaren Monk
02/01/2013 11:48 AMPosted by Bashiok

So, regular raiders will still be running LFR whether they want to or not to min max their rep. :\

Or can you guys do something creative like killing x boss on ANY difficulty gives rep once per week, period?

Now THAT is a great idea. Everyone gets the same amount of rep over time, even the people who can't manage to clear normal mode right away. I like it.
82 Goblin Shaman

Now THAT is a great idea. Everyone gets the same amount of rep over time, even the people who can't manage to clear normal mode right away. I like it.

AGREED - Smart move, Blizzard!
90 Orc Death Knight
02/01/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Bashiok
The raid rep (and their delicious, delicious Valor epics) includes LFR. You will need to kill bosses though to keep progressing it. No more ICC trash rep runs.

So here's a question, why have valor gear gated behind rep at all? I definitely see it as a step in the right direction having valor gated behind raids instead of dailies. But it's still a double-tax. You earn valor points, but in order to spend said points, you need to earn rep on top of it.
90 Orc Death Knight
02/01/2013 11:48 AMPosted by Bashiok

Same rep per difficulty? Or is LFR going to be penalized?
90 Draenei Hunter

Because the 'playerbase' didnt do anything, there is nothing that you can get anyone to agree on, and the forums are far from a majority of anything.

Ok, fair point. I just wish people would consider all aspects of the system before criticizing it/ad hoc "fixing" it.

But to summarize for those who do not understand:

There is a 20 ilvl difference between LFR and Normal gear.
Any alts that are trying to be geared by midpatch will have to make up that discrepancy in "competition" with other toons that have been running Normal/Heroic from the beginning of the patch.
Making it harder to gain VP rewards because you're gearing up your alt the way Blizzard wants you to punishes players and guilds that work to have alts available for raiding.

I'm not arguing it should be easier to gain VP rewards via LFR. But understand that there always needs to be a bridge between LFR and Normal/Heroic gear. VP serves that purpose.
90 Pandaren Monk
02/01/2013 11:53 AMPosted by Druga

So here's a question, why have valor gear gated behind rep at all? I definitely see it as a step in the right direction having valor gated behind raids instead of dailies. But it's still a double-tax. You earn valor points, but in order to spend said points, you need to earn rep on top of it.

Except it's not a tax at all. It's a better version of the Wrath system of each raid giving a different kind of badge.

You need to kill current content to get the current VP gear, but it's still VP.
90 Tauren Shaman

Great catch.
You meant Ashen Verdict lol

No, he meant Ashtongue Deathsworn.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/faction/ashtongue-deathsworn

Or check your Reputation page on the Armory.

Ashtongue Deathsworn is a faction, but for Black Temple, not Icecrown Citadel.
90 Goblin Shaman

Same rep per difficulty? Or is LFR going to be penalized?

I'm going to make the assumption that it'll be the same across the board since you can only get it off those bosses once per week. It wouldn't make sense to penalize people that can only LFR or those that do both LFR and normals like that.
Edited by Jujubiju on 2/1/2013 12:00 PM PST
90 Human Death Knight
02/01/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Bashiok

I love the idea of LFR existing "for players that can't participate in organized raiding (or don't wish to) for whatever reason." - quoted from CM Draztal on the EU Forums.

I detest the fact that LFR contributes real, meaningful and important progression for players who DO participate in organized raiding.

Why on earth are you tying "raid rep (and their delicious, delicious Valor epics)" to LFR, so that once again I will be . . . "strongly encouraged" to run it every week because there is no other source of it?

Really, really awful. Having to do LFR on top of normal raiding has been by far the worst feature of MoP. It has be very close to quitting raiding altogether - I'm having strong flashbacks to ICC.

I don't want to run a trivial version of a raid instance every week to rack up points on a meter. I don't have any reason to rain on LFR for people who like it - I simply ask that you stop putting strong incentives for people who are beyond it.

Very frustrating.
90 Orc Death Knight
02/01/2013 11:57 AMPosted by Ehckstra

Except it's not a tax at all. It's a better version of the Wrath system of each raid giving a different kind of badge.

You need to kill current content to get the current VP gear, but it's still VP.

And what was done previously was older content gave justice instead of Valor. Old vp gear became purchased with jp. This kept the "current content for vp/vp gear" system without the the need to gate it behind valor. Rep vp gear is a double tax because I can't spend valor points without rep on top of it.
90 Draenei Hunter
@Waste: Read the posts above yours. You don't need to run LFR if you're already downing all the bosses in normal or heroic. You get the rep once per week per boss regardless of difficulty.
Community Manager
02/01/2013 11:53 AMPosted by Druga

The whole point of a steady and measured currency to buy items is to offset the RNG of boss loot drops. If you're unlucky you still have this absolute system, and no matter what, you know that in X time you can fill in at least a few of those gaps. The intent of these currencies wasn't as a type of separate loot progression, but that is the way a lot of people perceive it, and certainly some of our designs have even worked to support that perception. The whole original intent in mind though it makes more sense to ensure that you're killing bosses to be able to buy Valor items, and not just farming up Valor from other sources. Of course we could take Valor out of everything but raid kills/completions to avoid that... but Valor is a nice reward to have in a lot of various systems, and lets people pick and choose the ways they want to earn it.

I don't want to imply though that having Valor items on daily quests was in any way a failed experiment. Obviously some of you weren't too keen on having the items behind those reps, and so in 5.2 we're trying this. We may have some mix in the future, we may not, let us know how you think it feels when the patch is live and if the new daily hub is compelling enough to gain your attention without a meatier (ie ilvl based) reward.
Edited by Bashiok on 2/1/2013 12:18 PM PST
90 Draenei Hunter

The whole point of a steady and measured currency to buy items is to offset the RNG of boss loot drops. If you're unlucky you still have this absolute system, and no matter what you know that in X time you can fill in at least a few of those gaps. The intent of these currencies wasn't as a type of separate loot progression, but that is the way a lot of people perceive it, and certainly some of our design has followed that trend. That being the case though it makes more sense to ensure that you're killing bosses to be able to buy Valor items, and not just farming up Valor from other sources. Of course we could take Valor out of everything but raid kills/completions to avoid that... but Valor is a nice reward to have in a lot of various systems, and helps people be able to pick and choose the ways they want to earn it.

that doesn't answer his question which is really... why do we have to earn two currencies, rep and VP? Once I've earned Valor, why rep? Or, if you want to look at rep as a currency and the items as rep gear, oonce I've earned rep, why do I have to have VP to get rep gear?

The 'steady and measured' part of it is already taken care of by the VP cap. In the past, we had rep gear and VP gear. Now we have rep-VP gear.
Edited by Clevspet on 2/1/2013 12:20 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]