New Rep Faction in 5.2 earned from Raiding?

(Locked)

100 Troll Shaman
I miss being able to buy epics for gold at exalted rep. Really dislike sub-par starting epics.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So..are you able to spam LFR to get rep or is it once a week cap you can get rep?
90 Draenei Shaman
02/01/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Felocityqt
The raid rep (and their delicious, delicious Valor epics) includes LFR. You will need to kill bosses though to keep progressing it. No more ICC trash rep runs.

Can you just run lfr 100 times and cap the rep in a night? If not

Will it be included with normal mode gains? Do we get to double dip clearing LFR and Normal/heroic for the week and gain 2x the rep?

Past a certain threshold, you can only receive reputation from boss kills and you can only gain reputation from boss kills once a week.

02/01/2013 11:48 AMPosted by Bashiok
Yes, you gain rep from boss kills once per week regardless of difficulty.
100 Troll Hunter
02/01/2013 10:28 AMPosted by Bashiok
The raid rep (and their delicious, delicious Valor epics) includes LFR. You will need to kill bosses though to keep progressing it.
Is LFR being staggered again - no wings open when 5.2 hits, one the next week, two the week after - the same way the current ones were released?

If it is.. will a person get enough rep from just three wings of LFR to be able to buy something to avoid running into the 3000 point valor cap?
100 Undead Priest

So, regular raiders will still be running LFR whether they want to or not to min max their rep. :\

Or can you guys do something creative like killing x boss on ANY difficulty gives rep once per week, period?

Yes, you gain rep from boss kills once per week regardless of difficulty.

Great, so while normal mode raiders struggle with progression, LFR raiders will be getting more rep than them unless they too run LFR. So In most circumstances, LFR raiders will be more rewarded by this system than normal mode raiders (and in some cases Heroic Progression raiders who have less time to focus on killing all the bosses, but instead work on some bosses on heroic). This change will then force the above players into LFR to get their rep for the week.

Can I asked what happened to not forcing raiders into LFR?
5.0/5.1 was a complete failure with the Legendary gem system as well as tier gear (I ended up getting something like 2 Sigils from normal/heroic and the rest from LFR).

5.2 looks like it's going to force us into LFR to complete our reps early on (unless you are in one of those awesome guilds that clear all the content in the first week).
Edited by Poena on 2/1/2013 1:17 PM PST

that doesn't answer his question which is really... why do we have to earn two currencies, rep and VP? Once I've earned Valor, why rep? Or, if you want to look at rep as a currency and the items as rep gear, oonce I've earned rep, why do I have to have VP to get rep gear?

The 'steady and measured' part of it is already taken care of by the VP cap. In the past, we had rep gear and VP gear. Now we have rep-VP gear.

The gold economy is completely broken in this game, making it worthless as any measure of effort. That leaves them with VP as the only really economy where the currency has any real value.
90 Tauren Hunter
I may have misunderstood, so allow me to ask this:

Will the new 5.2 dailies not grant reputation to the new factions? Will it ONLY be through killing bosses in the raid?
90 Night Elf Druid
Can I asked what happened to not forcing raiders into LFR?

From one of the posts a week or two ago made it more clear that heroic raiders are not to be expected to run LFR. With LFR being gated back and the usually assumption that heroic raiders tend to blow past normal mode this would have minimal impact to them. Once again though those stuck in the middle are screwed over and are being tasked with jumping through more hoops just because they put in effort to not stand in bad, are team players, and spend a handful of minutes to look at guides and yet are not as skilled, hardcore, and cant dedicate as much time to the game as those in the top guilds and yet we still got casuals that spend as much time in the game as the hardcore guilds and yet they complain about not being able to raid and running out of things to do.

The gold economy is completely broken in this game, making it worthless as any measure of effort. That leaves them with VP as the only really economy where the currency has any real value.

Both VP and reputation require time input. You act as if the gold buy able epics was on the same vendor as those who sell white gear.
100 Troll Hunter

Will the new 5.2 dailies not grant reputation to the new factions? Will it ONLY be through killing bosses in the raid?
There's two different factions. One only from the raid, which has valor items, and one through dailies, which does not have valor items.
100 Tauren Warrior
02/01/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Alisonprime
(C) Naxxramas (40) - Argent Dawn however I may be mistaken, I was exalted by the time it was released
I think I recall Argent Dawn being required to enter Naxx.

Wow, the memories of grinding in circles in that little valley behind lights hope for scourge stones.
90 Draenei Shaman

There's a daily faction and there's a raid faction. You'll receive reputation from dailies for the daily faction (Sunreaver Onslaught). You can only increase reputation with the raid faction (Shado-Pan Assault) by raiding Throne of Thunder.
Community Manager
02/01/2013 01:15 PMPosted by Tajit
If it is.. will a person get enough rep from just three wings of LFR to be able to buy something to avoid running into the 3000 point valor cap?

Yup, we'll make sure items are paced out to hopefully avoid that. Getting to Friendly is pretty quick, and there are items available at all reputation levels.
90 Tauren Hunter
02/01/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Novalas
There's a daily faction and there's a raid faction. You'll receive reputation from dailies for the daily faction (Sunreaver Onslaught). You can only increase reputation with the raid faction (Shado-Pan Assault) by raiding Throne of Thunder.

Got it, thanks! :D
90 Draenei Shaman
02/01/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Bashiok
So here's a question, why have valor gear gated behind rep at all? I definitely see it as a step in the right direction having valor gated behind raids instead of dailies. But it's still a double-tax. You earn valor points, but in order to spend said points, you need to earn rep on top of it.

The whole point of a steady and measured currency to buy items is to offset the RNG of boss loot drops. If you're unlucky you still have this absolute system, and no matter what, you know that in X time you can fill in at least a few of those gaps. The intent of these currencies wasn't as a type of separate loot progression, but that is the way a lot of people perceive it, and certainly some of our designs have even worked to support that perception. The whole original intent in mind though it makes more sense to ensure that you're killing bosses to be able to buy Valor items, and not just farming up Valor from other sources. Of course we could take Valor out of everything but raid kills/completions to avoid that... but Valor is a nice reward to have in a lot of various systems, and lets people pick and choose the ways they want to earn it.

I don't want to imply though that having Valor items on daily quests was in any way a failed experiment. Obviously some of you weren't too keen on having the items behind those reps, and so in 5.2 we're trying this. We may have some mix in the future, we may not, let us know how you think it feels when the patch is live and if the new daily hub is compelling enough to gain your attention without a meatier (ie ilvl based) reward.

I do disagree about the valor items gated behind rep from dailies. It is a failure. By Blizzard posters comments rep grind was not supposed to be mandatory, because you removed the reward of gear enchants. But in the end it was mandatory, because you have to do the rep grind to get valor gear, LFR is failing to drop gear at all for some players for weeks on end. (us unlucky few who RNG hates) The only way to progress is in fact rep grind.

All you have done is substitute one mandatory item for another. Valor gear for enchants. You are right, it is nice to have a variety of ways to earn valor, if there is only one way to spend it, you are kind of screwed in the end anyways. You HAVE to do rep grind, to get the gear you can't or don't get in raids.

I did not start playing until December, I was WAYYYY behind and have stayed that way, because I am getting no gear drops in the first 2 LFRs. I keep running them to no avail. I am forced to grind rep, or run LFR endlessly. Neither choice is good, and it is very frustrating. Complicated by long QUE times and partial runs, with multiple wipes, peeps queing as as the wrong spec to get that gear, etc. The list is long.

Gating gear behind rep grinds is not a step in the right direction, it is in fact a failing. Players still feel forced to do rep grind. There is no way around it, you have to do rep grind if you want gear!
90 Orc Death Knight
Will rep gains be tiered by difficulty?

That is to say, will a heroic raider earn more than a normal raider, and a normal raider earn more than somebody running LFR?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/01/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Bashiok
The intent of these currencies wasn't as a type of separate loot progression, but that is the way a lot of people perceive it, and certainly some of our designs have even worked to support that perception. The whole original intent in mind though it makes more sense to ensure that you're killing bosses to be able to buy Valor items, and not just farming up Valor from other sources.

I honestly didnt mind doing dailies, but it did indeed feel like having both rep AND VP cost was over the top. Nevermind when you throw in doing them on alts. However, why just VP? Quite a bit of the daily hubs and more-so with 5.1 reps require quite a bit of PVP interraction. Why not reward CP for these? At the very least in PVP servers. I really do feel thats where rewards fell short. You brought world PVP, but not the rewards :S

Before you begin by saying "CP is rewarded for organized PVP aka Arenas/RBGs", well VP was awarded for organized raiding, then it seeped into heroics, then LFR, now dailies. Why not earn the 5 CP per daily? Or at least let us choose which reward we want? CP or VP? Makes sense to me.
Edited by Palisis on 2/1/2013 2:14 PM PST
90 Dwarf Paladin
02/01/2013 01:59 PMPosted by Parius

The whole point of a steady and measured currency to buy items is to offset the RNG of boss loot drops. If you're unlucky you still have this absolute system, and no matter what, you know that in X time you can fill in at least a few of those gaps. The intent of these currencies wasn't as a type of separate loot progression, but that is the way a lot of people perceive it, and certainly some of our designs have even worked to support that perception. The whole original intent in mind though it makes more sense to ensure that you're killing bosses to be able to buy Valor items, and not just farming up Valor from other sources. Of course we could take Valor out of everything but raid kills/completions to avoid that... but Valor is a nice reward to have in a lot of various systems, and lets people pick and choose the ways they want to earn it.

I don't want to imply though that having Valor items on daily quests was in any way a failed experiment. Obviously some of you weren't too keen on having the items behind those reps, and so in 5.2 we're trying this. We may have some mix in the future, we may not, let us know how you think it feels when the patch is live and if the new daily hub is compelling enough to gain your attention without a meatier (ie ilvl based) reward.

I do disagree about the valor items gated behind rep from dailies. It is a failure. By Blizzard posters comments rep grind was not supposed to be mandatory, because you removed the reward of gear enchants. But in the end it was mandatory, because you have to do the rep grind to get valor gear, LFR is failing to drop gear at all for some players for weeks on end. (us unlucky few who RNG hates) The only way to progress is in fact rep grind.

All you have done is substitute one mandatory item for another. Valor gear for enchants. You are right, it is nice to have a variety of ways to earn valor, if there is only one way to spend it, you are kind of screwed in the end anyways. You HAVE to do rep grind, to get the gear you can't or don't get in raids.

I did not start playing until December, I was WAYYYY behind and have stayed that way, because I am getting no gear drops in the first 2 LFRs. I keep running them to no avail. I am forced to grind rep, or run LFR endlessly. Neither choice is good, and it is very frustrating. Complicated by long QUE times and partial runs, with multiple wipes, peeps queing as as the wrong spec to get that gear, etc. The list is long.

Gating gear behind rep grinds is not a step in the right direction, it is in fact a failing. Players still feel forced to do rep grind. There is no way around it, you have to do rep grind if you want gear!

1) Why don't you buy some items for gold if you want to get into the next LFRs.

2) Gear has always been gated behind something, rep, VP, bosses etc etc. Personally I would much rather have it gated and need me to unlock it and so encourage me to be on as often as possible than have a repeat of cata where I only needed to log in once a week to cap VP and then have nothing else to do.

I also like the current situation of having a choice of capping VP from a mix of dailies, scenarios, 5 mans, LFR and normal modes. There is something for every kind of time commitment each time I log on.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/01/2013 02:13 PMPosted by Zamm
I also like the current situation of having a choice of capping VP from a mix of dailies, scenarios, 5 mans, LFR and normal modes. There is something for every kind of time commitment each time I log on.

I completely agree with this point. I wouldve liked to be able to earn some Conquest for pvp objectives along side these dailies if Im able to get VP from it.
100 Tauren Druid

"Huzzah! The hero hath once again slain many inconsequential foes, to leap through thine magic portal, and oft returneth to... doeth the same task over and again! Verily, this is a champion worthy of our shiny baubles and trinkets."

Ah, so you think that dailies are as ridiculous as I do.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]