best tank class

90 Night Elf Druid
I have a 90 warrior i used to tank with back in bc and wrath, i want to start tanking again and looking for a new toon to lvl. What is the best class to lvl as a tank now? warrior, pally, dk, monk? I am going to start fresh and was leaning toward starting a new warrior but i know blood dk's and pallys have good self heals. Since i havent tanked in a while i wanted some good input on which classes tend to tank the best now
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=best+tank+class&f=post&forum=1033926
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
all those are outdated, id like some input on which class tends to be the better tank now
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There's one from last month on the first page of that search. There haven't been any major changes in the past month.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/01/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Animmality
all those are outdated, id like some input on which class tends to be the better tank now

There is no "best tank class" it revolves more on the player playing the character then the class itself.

If a person sucks at playing a druid they will suck at tanking on a druid

or

If a person sucks at tanking then they will suck at tanking on ANYTHING.

or

"I don't like DK's" then don't tank on a DK..

Just pick one and go have fun, there is no "BEST TANKING CLASS"

christ can't we sticky something like someone make a post saying

"WELCOME TO THE TANKING FORUMS : STOP ASKING WHAT THE BEST TANK CLASS IS"
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
alot of it depends on the fight. like garalon dk tanks are aswesome bc blood sheild makes them take like no dmg. but other fight blocking comes into play alot jstu depends. i like warrior just bc this is the first time ive ever played a warrior.
Edited by Drankula on 2/1/2013 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Why do I see this thread every day???? But from different posters. Stop it pls. Tanks are balanced pick one play it, if you don't like it....... pick a different one.
Edited by Biggmac on 2/1/2013 5:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Rogues.

Amazing CDs with high avoidance and great sulf heals.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Biggmac
Tanks are balanced

Now, y'all say that, but according to a discussion I've been having in another thread with a few of them what you call "regulars" leads me to believe that warriors are the absolute and definitive best tanks in the game on account of being balanced in single target and apparently godlike in AoE encounters. So, I want to believe you, and in truth I do, but I just can't reconcile what they're saying. (Yeah, I went there.)

Anyway, everyone always wants to know which class is the best at a particular role. Maybe it's because they want to know which class to play. Maybe it's because they're putting together a team and want to know what to recruit for. Whatever the individual reason, the question will always be asked, and the answer will, hopefully, always be the same.

The best tank is the tank you are most comfortable with. There is currently, and will likely never be, an encounter in current content where one tank is incapable of filling the role, or where one tank requires significantly and noticeably more contribution from the team to complete the encounter. Each tank has its specific strengths and weaknesses, but none of the strengths make them an obvious choice and none of the weaknesses eliminate them from the list of viable alternatives.

Play the class you enjoy to the best of your ability and you will always be playing the best tank, no matter which class you choose. (Unless you choose Warlock)
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I thought warlock was the consensus best tank? Shaman's a close second.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Most balanced it's ever been, but the plate tanks feel a small tier above the leather tanks, and of course they all have their niches.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys
Strictly from a progression raiding standpoint, I'd say pally followed by warrior. Block tanks have done very well this tier in general.

From a 5 man standpoint, I'd go with either monk or dk.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Since the "Dear Tanks" threads seem to have mostly disappeared, I vote we make these "Best Tank" threads our new /drink

Gotta get our drink on somehow, right?

So.....

/drink
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Since the "Dear Tanks" threads seem to have mostly disappeared, I vote we make these "Best Tank" threads our new /drink

So.....

/drink

pfft.. i tank drunk...
Reply Quote
72 Human Paladin
Best tanking class is one you know how to play and play well. There just no other discussion about it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/01/2013 08:35 PMPosted by Zapwidget
Tanks are balanced

Now, y'all say that, but according to a discussion I've been having in another thread with a few of them what you call "regulars" leads me to believe that warriors are the absolute and definitive best tanks in the game on account of being balanced in single target and apparently godlike in AoE encounters. So, I want to believe you, and in truth I do, but I just can't reconcile what they're saying. (Yeah, I went there.)

define "forum regulars" ...

because warriors are not the "absolute and definite best tanks by any stretch ..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/01/2013 08:35 PMPosted by Zapwidget

That has nothing to do with a good tank class. It's more important how vulnerable they are to massive physical or magic dmg, spikey vs consistent, how well you can generate you resource for active mitigation, the amount of mana you save your healer(s) is incredibly important as well.
Reply Quote
define "forum regulars" ...

because warriors are not the "absolute and definite best tanks by any stretch ..

So you see my dilemma? How can warriors be OP and not be the best at the same time?

If warriors are in any way OP, then tanks are not balanced.

If tanks are considered balanced, then warriors are not OP.

The two concepts are mutually exclusive, and by and large the consensus is the latter, that all tanks are considered balanced, and therefore warriors are not OP.
Reply Quote
If you wanna know which tank is best, roll a healer and you will learn that a class is as good (or as bad) as the player playing it. I have the worst experiences with warrior tanks in general. The gap between statbuilds within a single class-spec is bigger than the gap between different tank classes.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior

So.....

/drink

As the creator of the drinking game, I assure you "which tank is best" was one of the reasons to /drink!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]