Having a hard time with Frost DKs

80 Human Paladin
Anyone have any tips on how to take down a frost DK 1v1?

Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
At level 75.. No
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
How about at 90?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Tell him "I like cha and I want cha, we can do this the easy way or we can do this the hard way. The choice is yours" and burst the crap outta him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxThsRCyoOM
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Tell him "I like cha and I want cha, we can do this the easy way or we can do this the hard way. The choice is yours" and burst the crap outta him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxThsRCyoOM

Seems like when I try that he winds up hitting me harder. I'm full malevolent with T1 weapon. I do have PvP power gemmed rather than resil though.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Nobody else is having any luck with them either huh.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I do not have any problems with f dk's 1v1. It's in arena that they kill me. They have low self heals, you can expect a sac ghoul and some death strikes but they can not outheal your dps IF you have harsh words (and I use glyph of holy shock). I think the keys are.... 1) don't die. Use your trinket/every man for himself when you need to. You can't trinket a lockout, so watch mind freeze....use devo aura if you must cast a heal.... hand of freedom removes the dk aoe slow/stun but you gotta be quick with it. 2) burst. use avenging wrath and your trinket and divine favor. Use HS for damage and WoG for a heal if you need it, otherwise Wog for dps. And if you get in trouble even with cd's up.... bubble and finish killing them. I use seal of truth for dealing with most classes 1v1. Since you don't actually cast anything (except possibly a glyphed denounce) you don't really need the haste from seal of insight. The extra damage it does can make a fight a LOT shorter if they are close to healing through your dps. Remember you can still use judgement and crusader strike while silenced.
3) The other thing you can do is have a slightly different gear set for arenas vs. wPvP. Since you get no damage bonus from pvp power, don't stack it outside of arenas (since the nerf, I don't stack it at all.) Use an int trinket rather than the pvp power trinket. As human, use 2 int trinkets. I think since the nerf to PvP power, 1 int is a little better than 2 pvp power as far as healing, but it's so close I can't really tell. But int also increases your damage. You still want high resil so you can outheal incoming damage with instant casts, or sometimes just go for the kill and heal later.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Don't use your CDs during Anti-Magic Shield, especially if they have it glyphed.

Cleanse yourself when you can, but don't spam it, because it's too easy for them to reapply their diseases and it costs quite a bit of mana.

Try and alternate your Holy Power on damage and heals, but make sure you keep Inq up.

I usually save HoJ/FoJ for when I am going to use CDs, even though they'll usually trinket it. It's pretty easy to tell when a DK is going into defensive mode (switches to blood presence and ghoul sac), so I try and kite them with Long Arm of The Law or Burden of Guilt, so that they can't heal with Death Strike. Hand of Freedom comes in handy here, so they can't slow you.

Depending on the situation, I usually use LoH over Divine Shield (bubble). I don't really like lowering my offensive pressure vs bursty classes, such as DKs, and that 50% deduction to damage really doesn't help keep up pressure, especially since I am usually trying to heal up during bubble anyway.

Just remember, use your CDs wisely, both offensive and defensive. It doesn't matter what class/spec you're playing or going against, it's never smart to blow everything right out of the gates. Patience and timing is a pretty big part of PvP and if you pop everything too soon and fail to blow them up, you put yourself in a rough spot for another 2 minutes.

DKs do a great deal of damage, but they go down pretty easily if you know what you're doing. Obviously gear plays a big part in all of this, considering the massive roll PvP power plays in todays game. I'm not fully geared yet and even if you are, you're always going to run into that player who is twice as good as you. You just have to tip your hat and try and learn from your mistakes. If played right, DKs are still in a really good spot, so don't feel bad if you die to one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What I like to do is start off building holy for inquisition once I see them pop burst use blinding light. If they suck they will trinket if not they will wait use this time to FoL yourself for some health. Wait for anti magic shield and hoj when available but dont blow cds till your second hoj (unless they popped trinket) when you have them locked in full stun go hard.

thats what I like to do but still DFKs are one of the toughtest class's for rets to fight and if its blood just roll over and hope hes got lube cause you aint winning
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Let them make the first move. Freedom Remorseless, play conservatively and twist between insight, moving back to truth only to keep Censure up.

Use your Divine Protection, glyphed or unglyphed, though glyphed will work better. If you have Purity, use it liberally to negate some more damage if you can spare the GCD.

Alternatively you can straight up burst to force an IBF and drag the fight out through self healing. Once their IBF is exhausted use Fist/Hammer. Might want to Blinding Light to force a trinket if they're bad.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/15/2013 01:05 AMPosted by Brutalshotz
What I like to do is start off building holy for inquisition

I do this, too.

Since we have so many ranged abilities, i'll usually try and get at least a full Inq off before we get within melee range of each other.

It makes it a lot easier, because then for 30 seconds all of your HPs can be spent on heals or damage, rather than worrying about Inq.

They'll probably Death Grip you, but I don't find Death Grip that threatening. Warrior charges are better gap closers, considering you get knocked down/stunned when they use it.

I just really like kiting. I always kite vs melee, especially DKs.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
max range kite with burden/long arm, trinket their grip talent thing, freedom first chains
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/15/2013 08:40 AMPosted by Hydroplaning
What I like to do is start off building holy for inquisition

I do this, too.

Since we have so many ranged abilities, i'll usually try and get at least a full Inq off before we get within melee range of each other.

It makes it a lot easier, because then for 30 seconds all of your HPs can be spent on heals or damage, rather than worrying about Inq.

They'll probably Death Grip you, but I don't find Death Grip that threatening. Warrior charges are better gap closers, considering you get knocked down/stunned when they use it.

I just really like kiting. I always kite vs melee, especially DKs.

yea kiting is really all we got considering we have alright range if you use Holy Prism
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
run away, hell probably howling blast spam, which will disable his obliterate for a while... after that you can close in hit him a few times... at that point he will burst so run away again, cc when needed.. once he's used his anti-magic bubble thing you're cleared to light him up.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
if you lose to a frost dk at level 90 as a ret in 1v1 you should uninstall.

At low levels there is an exception because everything one shots everything at low levels

Frost DKs are one of the easiest class for a ret to beat
Edited by Leafytoastdk on 2/16/2013 10:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Glyphing Turn Evil will also help out against dks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]