My problems with the state of RP in WoW.

88 Blood Elf Paladin
I rarely enjoy PvE in WoW and I don't play it for that.
I rarely enjoy PvP in WoW and I don't play it for that.
I rarely enjoy leveling/questing/dailies in WoW, and I don't play it for that.

It is beginning to get to the point where I rarely enjoy RP in WoW, and I play it for that.

I joined up with the server Wyrmrest Accord in late Wrath of the Lich King, and I was not the sharpest person to start out with. I played the cliche Forsaken Death Knight who was all angsty. I did not know anything about cliche, Mary Sueism, and roleplay rules back then.

I do not consider myself 'elitist', when it comes to roleplay. I may make a sardonic comment to someone who is obviously blundering, and I may even whisper offering advice to those who seem intelligent but are new to roleplay. I have guided multiple people through the rules of RPing, and they all came out better for it. I still have a few of them as close friends.

Way back when I joined the server, people disregarding OOC parantheses or saying things like 'lol'/using emoticons in RP was very rare. And when it did occur, they learned quickly, and everyone was happy.

Now, blatant use of emoticons, acronyms, and disregard of OOC parantheses are rampant. Trolls have sprouted up everywhere, and not the good sort of troll either. No, these are the trolls who blatantly spam and ruin innocuous roleplayers. There are guilds devoted to these things. Nobody seems to even care about these things anymore.

I used to be free to roleplay whenever I desired, but my schedule has tightened up lately and has made it difficult for me to cater to my guild. I often scout out other guilds to see if they coincide with my schedule, but I have found virtually nothing up to any sort of quality. Now random RP is pretty much out of the question.

I investigated other servers. Almost everything turned up no quality roleplay, and some didn't even turn up roleplay at all. Earthen Ring and Moon Guard were the two exceptions, and I wasn't overjoyed with the roleplay on those two either.

Saddeningly, the famous Goldshire of Moon Guard that everyone makes jokes about actually has more high quality roleplayers in one place than I've seen in a long time. This is truly downright depressing.

Now that I'm done talking about my roleplay experiences, two things enrage me to no end.

Nobody cares anymore. I'll state again that I don't consider myself elitist when it comes to roleplay, but seriously. There seems to be no such thing as public roleplay that isn't either terrible or interrupted by trolls. The worst part is that nobody seems to care. My friends and my guild are content to lie down and just say "This is how it is, there is nothing we can do about it." Why does this seem wrong only to me? Does nobody want things back the way it was?

Blizzard has never cared. Are roleplayers an extreme minority in the World of Warcraft? Yes. But when you look at other games, their roleplaying communities are even tinier. Back in the old days of tabletop DnD, the entire point of playing WAS to roleplay, one way or another. Those who didn't roleplay were known as "Min/Maxers", and THEY were the minority. What HAPPENED? Even worse, Blizzard doesn't even acknowledge us, really. I report trolling constantly, and I encourage my friends and guildmates to as well. Yet, I see them pop up every single day. Wayfarer's Rest has always been known as the place where 'bad' people roleplay, but I've found it pleasant to idle in there whenever I'm doing something else and simply observe RPers. Occasionally I'd see a friend of mine and we'd do a bit of trivial IC conversation. Now there are trolls in there almost 24/7. It's intolerable to even sit in there anymore. Even worse, what have they ever given to us in years? One little check mark in the Guild Finder that says you're interested in roleplaying.

TL;DR: You should really go up and read it. But I'll summarize anyway - Blizzard doesn't care about us, virtually noone cares about the state of roleplay, and I am growing less and less inclined to even log on. If any of you know where things are better, where people still care, or if any of you even care, please tell me.

And yes, this is a rage/rant post.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
So sad you have found the rp to be so bad you had to rant. And I know what you mean. I had to reroll on Cenarion CIrcle to find the quality rp I enjoy. But yes it is because we are in the minority. And the thing is there are good rpers out there, but not enough of them to make a difference.

If you have friends who rp with you that's great. I have a few quality rpers in my group. I find it more fun to have a smaller group and develop a good story with them than to have a huge group. The reason is the chat, I hate it when several people are talking at once and you cannot keep up a decent conversation.
Reply Quote
You are a blood elf, that is the first problem. You are most likely RPing in Silvermoon. Silvermoon is not a good place for serious RP. You get a lot of good people, sure, but you also get all the sorts you mentioned. Finding smaller, closer knit groups generally works better. I, myself, just wander around UC and Brill and find plenty of quality RPers and RP--blood elves included.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I have been working on my server to regain some form of RP community for the past six/seven months along with others. However, every day it really hurts to see how it isn't what it once was, primarily because of the two reasons you listed. Blizzard really simply doesn't care about the RP community, and it's horrifically depressing. The worst is the lack of care from the players, however. Atleast in my opinon. It feels like noone is too concerned with putting forth effort. These problems plague me. You hit the nail on the head, in my opinion.

I still work to regain the power my server once had, however.
Reply Quote
84 Human Paladin
At some point, I'm sure the massive amounts of reports regarding name "violations" and other truly petty, often not even ToS violating grievances less tolerable RPers spam forth just convinced Blizzard this bunch was just as needy as any other, if not more so.

Yes... I'm an RPer, I simply have no shame in calling out other RPers as whiny when they are being that way. Is the OP being whiny? Sure. But he's also got a legit gripe. Whiny does not necessarily mean one is complaining simply to complain after all. With more people, quality will inevitably go down overall. Has role-play quality gone down? Not from my experiences, but I do more viewing (far, far away from Goldshire) than actual interacting, and if one were to read on, they'll probably find my quality bar is astonishingly low for "acceptable." Not that I can't recognize bad RPing, typists, poorly designed characters, etc.

Tolerance is key in just about any scenario, for any game play style as a matter of fact. I've resigned myself to simply RPing as a support character to someone else's sob story anymore. It's actually more enjoyable for myself this way, as there is less conflict, and I don't let the fact the person I'm interacting with is a Blood Elf/Forsaken hybrid with cat ears bother me anymore (extremely rare specimen by the way.) I just ask myself, "why bother?" If I wanted professional quality stuff, I'd write it myself or just go grab a book. It shouldn't come as any surprise the average person isn't the most gifted writer, despite their desire to role-play.

I'll keep my character well designed and role-play interesting "normal" characters trying to do the best they can while others try too hard/copy their latest anime hero/!@#$%^'s super power(s,) and I'll be okay with that, because I know better than to expect prize winning stuff. I just want to be amused. Additionally, creating in-depth characters for the sake of role-play is one hell of a muse.

Now that I think about it, I think I've been this way since I started role-playing back in vanilla. Short, grammatically incorrect sentences, or long winded paragraphs detailing how one's fingers twitch during the 4 paragraph long descriptive arm sweep for casting a fire ball, I don't care. Amuse me!
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh yes! While I may have come off as intolerant (I was rather peeved.) of people's roleplay capabilities, it really isn't the fact that there are people with unwell-written characters or people making grammar errors (I make quite a few myself now and again.)

The thing that drives me insane is that the community seems to be dominated more by trolls and people unwilling to learn how to roleplay as opposed to people with quality or even interest in quality. I don't need quality 24/7, but I at least want something that will pique my curiousity now and again.

As for your point, Lucrosen, I do hear negative commentary on Silvermoon constantly - and you're completely right on the count that there are both good and bad roleplayers.

I've checked the Undercity, I've checked Brill, I've checked Thunder Bluff. I can never consistently find roleplayers in any of these locations - my hours are highly variant as to when I will and won't be online. I've always been a bit more of a drifter than a close-knit group sort of person. I'm well known within various groups but I've never really been at the core of any.

I guess I just really don't know what to do. :<

However, seeing these four posts that people actually took the time to type out has encouraged me. Somewhat.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
I could post a rant of my own. I could say that quality rp is there if you look for it. But I will let this speak for itself. The state of RP is getting so bad that I'm going back to what I used to do, raid/quest/run dungeons/level alts. When I do rp it's usually with a real ID friend that I know can string a sentence together, doesn't use leetspeek, will use the double brackets when he's saying something OOC and can usually keep a story straight.

((if anyone knows of a server that has a good rp community and a good raiding scene let me know. I mainly play alliance and I'm looking for a new home for my guild and high level toons))

There is one thing to consider though. I can't speak for everyone else, but with all the dailies and farm stuff across my high levels (I have seven toons level 85 or higher) I rarely have the time anymore. Also, the grind has become so repetitive and so much of a grind that I've been known to log off rather than face it.
Edited by Kassalla on 2/3/2013 3:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I disagree that Blizzard doesn't care about RP. Transmog is one of the greatest gifts they have bestowed upon RP.

I suggest you ditch carebear RP servers. How can you RP an incessant, omnipresent, all consuming WAR on a carebear server?

By the way, I have reported about three griefers when I really had the goods on them. I also put them on ignore. Each one ended up "removed from ignore list because player no longer found". Maybe a coincidence - maybe not.

Anyway, RP is proactive. If RPers do not push it, it won't happen. The Little Red Hen comes to mind.

The Story of The Little Red Hen

Once upon a time, a lamb, a cat, a pig, and a little red hen lived on an old farm on a flowery hill surrounded by fields of golden wheat. One day, the Little Red Hen found some grains of wheat scattered in the barnyard. "Look what I've found!" she said to the other animals. "Who will help me plant these grains of wheat?"

"Not I!" said the lamb.

"Not I!" said the cat.

"Not I!" said the pig.

"Then I'll do it myself," said the Little Red Hen. And so she did. She knew that seeds need water to grow tall and strong. "Who will help me water these seeds?" asked the Little Red Hen.

"Not I!" said the lamb.

"Not I!" said the cat.

"Not I!" said the pig.

"Then I'll do it myself," said the Little Red Hen. And so she did. The Little Red Hen watered the soil and waited patiently for the wheat to grow. When the wheat was tall and golden, she knew it was ready to be cut. "Who will help me harvest the wheat?" asked the Little Red Hen.

"Not I!" said the lamb.

"Not I!" said the cat.

"Not I!" said the pig.

"Then I'll do it myself," said the Little Red Hen. And so she did. The Little Red Hen's basket was soon filled with wheat. "Who will help me take the wheat to the mill to be ground into flour?" asked the Little Red Hen.

"Not I!" said the lamb

"Not I!" said the cat.

"Not I!" said the pig.

"Then I'll do it myself," said the Little Red Hen. And so she did. The kind miller ground the wheat into powdery, velvety flour, and the Little Red Hen carried it home in a rough brown sack. "Who will help me make this flour into bread?" asked the Little Red Hen.

"Not I!" said the lamb.

"Not I!" said the cat.

"Not I!" said the pig.

"Then I'll do it myself," said the Little Red Hen. And so she did. The Little Red Hen mixed the flour into sticky dough and kneaded it into a smooth loaf. "Who will help me put this bread into the oven to bake?" asked the Little Red Hen.

"Not I!" said the lamb.

"Not I!" said the cat.

"Not I!" said the pig.

"Then I'll do it myself," said the Little Red Hen. And so she did. The kitchen filled with the delicious scent of baking bread, and the other animals came to see what was happening. The Little Red Hen took the warm, crusty loaf out of the oven, and set it on the table. "Who will help me eat this fresh, tasty bread?" asked the Little Red Hen.

"I will!" said the lamb.

"I will!" said the cat.

"I will!" said the pig.

"No, you will not," said the Little Red Hen. "You didn't help me plant it, or water it, or harvest it, or mill it, or bake it. I shall eat it myself!" And so she did.

"Oh me!" said the lamb.

"Oh my!" said the cat.

"Oh me, oh my!" said the pig.

The next time the Little Red Hen found some grains of wheat, the lamb planted it in the rich, brown soil, the cat watered it carefully every day, and the pig harvested the wheat when it had grown tall and strong. When the dough was baked, together the animals made hot chocolate and ate the fresh, warm bread. It was delicious! The animals lived happily ever after, cooperating and helping every day.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Well said, Stonzgrinda!

I am a new WoW RPer myself, active since late November, so I can't speak on the Golden Age of WoW RP. I can say that I was drawn to the game by the wonderful authors and roleplayers on www.ravenholdt.us, and on the Ravenholdt server I have had an amazing time RPing and creating epic tales with a great group of creative people.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Anyway, RP is proactive. If RPers do not push it, it won't happen. The Little Red Hen comes to mind.

This! Well spoken. Of course, your fellow RPers at Ravenholdt expect nothing less from you! ^^
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Trolls will happen on RP servers, its likely that the more popular a server is, the more negative attention it will get.

Don't let people ruin your good time. Ignore them and keep doing what you do.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/02/2013 10:40 AMPosted by Amarlei
If you have friends who rp with you that's great. I have a few quality rpers in my group. I find it more fun to have a smaller group and develop a good story with them than to have a huge group. The reason is the chat, I hate it when several people are talking at once and you cannot keep up a decent conversation.

Agreed. Although a large group and hard-to-follow conversation are completely appropriate when everybody's drinking in the Recluse or the Brawlpub.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It is up to the role players to govern their own servers. Blizzard has said as much in the past. If you are having issues with people bombing role plays then on a role playing server you are within your rights to report them. In the mean time there is always the ignore functions.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
The worst problem now is the inability to ignore more than 50. And yes it is that bad. Reporting people is great, but I think opening up a ticket and telling Blizzard just how crappy the situation is might work better. The report function is flawed.

The only thing you can report is names, bad language and cheating. There is nothing there about the jerks who grief you if for no other reason than because there is no penalty for it.

And now with CRZ, we have a lot of people who are having too much fun trolling servers that are not their home servers. Even to the point of making pve crazy. Ever try to quest an area where there ar level 90's killing all the quest givers? And these people don't care if they are reported. They are from a pvp server or a rp/pvp server, and they take all the fun out of the questing by killing all the mobs and the quest givers.

Someone please tell me how CRZ is making things social?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
I, too, am a current resident of Wyrmrest Accord and I share your disdain for the RP community therein. The server is filling to the brim with trolls, PvPers and PvEers (None of which are really any good as our server had -just- obtained Realm's First: Heroic Will of the Emperor just two weeks ago >.>) and losing all of its RPers. What little RP community is left to even call a community on WrA is full of ERPers, cliques and guilds who do more OOC social than actual RP.

So I share your disdain for WrA's lack of in-depth adventure roleplay wherein one might enjoy immersing themselves into the fantasy World of Warcraft.

If anyone wants an RP buddy? I'm always around and looking for full-fledged stories and plots and always headhunting the forums for community RP events. Whether you're well-written or type like a first grader, it's all about enjoying adventures together.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]