I want to give my LFR loot away.

90 Pandaren Rogue
I understand why I'm not able to: to prevent begging, selling of items, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to give my loot away. I run LFR now for valor and one or two drops which would be an upgrade. There's nothing in it for me to keep getting gear over someone else. Someone that might actually use it. I don't even want it. If I could opt out of gear and give someone else a higher chance, I would.
Edited by Wisemansfear on 2/4/2013 3:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Yes, yes, your altruism is laudable. To satisfy it, I suggest you give away some RL stuff. Or make some donations.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Yes and blizzard didn't like that people were abusing the system so they took that power away.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/04/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Hiroran
Yes and blizzard didn't like that people were abusing the system so they took that power away.

That "power" was intended to alleviate GM workload from correcting raid leader mistakes; it was never intended for people to trade loots freely in the first place... That would be making loots BoE...

If people can trade loots freely, drop rate will have to be adjusted accordingly so people don't gear up as fast... the result won't be nice...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
02/04/2013 08:18 AMPosted by Hyjinx
Yes, yes, your altruism is laudable. To satisfy it, I suggest you give away some RL stuff. Or make some donations.

That's hardly the same thing.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
The main difference is that if they implemented this change, the OP would all of a sudden become a beggar rather than a giver.

Dude, it's a little bit obvious.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/04/2013 03:37 AMPosted by Wisemansfear
There's nothing in it for me to keep getting gear over someone else.

Then you'll be happy to know that you're not getting gear "over" anyone else -- your receiving or not receiving loot doesn't affect anyone else's drops in any way. Enjoy!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
The main difference is that if they implemented this change, the OP would all of a sudden become a beggar rather than a giver.

Dude, it's a little bit obvious.

TIL: People who give also take.

Then you'll be happy to know that you're not getting gear "over" anyone else -- your receiving or not receiving loot doesn't affect anyone else's drops in any way. Enjoy!

I'm sure that's not entirely true.
Edited by Wisemansfear on 2/4/2013 4:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/04/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Wisemansfear

I'm sure you're wrong. I'm also correct, which is better than being sure.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
02/04/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Mahourai

I'm sure you're wrong, too. I'm also correct, which means we can keep our own opinions.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/04/2013 08:07 PMPosted by Wisemansfear

I'm sure you're wrong, too. I'm also correct, which means we can keep our own opinions.

LFR loot does not affect other players' drops, which is the issue. It's not an "opinion" as to whether or not that's true.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/04/2013 08:07 PMPosted by Wisemansfear

Except his 'opinion' is actually a fact and yours is a feeling. It is always true that people are entitled to hold their own opinions but in many cases this does not prevent them from being wrong.

LFR drop rate is independently calculated for each character therefore no other character influences the chances of another to get loot.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Would just funnel all drops to my enchanter bro and drown in sha crystals.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
02/04/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Pyri

He effectively is.

In DS, you had 4 items divided among 25 people, which would be (to use a very rough and not accurate number that gets the point across) 15% chance to get an item (0.96^4). If, say, 25% of them weren't eligible for loot from a boss and/or passed, you'd have about 20% chance to get an item. Meaning your chances went up if some people were there just for the valor and didn't care about the loot.

In MoP, you have a 15% chance flat that isn't affected by someone else not caring about any of the loot. Compared to the default loot system in the game (which has been used in dungeons, raids, and the original LFR in DS), he is taking gear that they'd get. The average amount of loot awarded to a raid per boss is 3.75 (compared to the 4 in DS). So less average loot per boss that has a chance of going to someone who doesn't even want it (more overall loot due to twice as many bosses).

Blizzard's concern is that allowing trading of loot again would lead to some sort of social drama, and even if it was limited to pre-formed groups then guilds would do the 3/22 switcheroo and run LFR like 10 times in one week to get as much gear as possible.

But if you get an item when you don't want any items, you effectively are taking an item that, in the old system, would have gone to someone who actually wanted it. Even if the system is set up so that it, technically speaking, does not work that way.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
But if you get an item when you don't want any items, you effectively are taking an item that, in the old system, would have gone to someone who actually wanted it. Even if the system is set up so that it, technically speaking, does not work that way.

02/05/2013 12:33 AMPosted by Balkoth
in the old system

02/05/2013 12:33 AMPosted by Balkoth
Even if the system is set up so that it, technically speaking, does not work that way.

So what you're saying is, in the old system his getting an item would be taking it from someone else. And this still counts...even though we're not in the old system.

...What?

OT: Loot rolls are independent, you're not taking anyone else's gear, only perceiving it that way. Old loot system was abused both by solo players needing on everything they could and organized groups running repeatedly to funnel gear to a few players, and of course, there was always tons of loot drama. So they fixed it. We couldn't be trusted to police the loot system on our own so now Blizzard has to do it for us.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
This thread pretty much embodies why society things people that play mmos are stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
WRONG. The way I currently understand the loot rules in LFR are as follows. From 10 man raids, the average boss drops 2 loot items with around a 5% chance to drop a third. In 25 man raids, the average raid boss will drop 5 and sometimes 6 loot items. LFR's automatic loot system calculates the individual probability of a loot item dropping, and basically rolls for all the players in the raid that could potentially use this item. The loot is then awarded to the lucky player that won the automated roll, and everyone goes on with their raid. In other words, LFR still only drops so much loot. The chance of winning a loot item is not just some private roll made by each player, as most think it is.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
02/05/2013 04:00 AMPosted by Redrobesback
The way I currently understand the loot rules in LFR are as follows.

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

LFR still only drops so much loot.

That number is 0-50 for each fight.

the chances of everyone getting something is astronomical, the chances of nobody winning anything (We'll ignore coins) isn't EXTREMELY small, but it's rare

There's no quota, or set # of drops, doing LFR with guild week 1, we had 14 items off 1 boss as our highest, which was amazing luck, but we had many with ~3-4 items.

Loot is 100% personal, and nobody else's luck or chances affect yours, the only affect other players have on your loot are if the boss dies or not.
Edited by Postonforums on 2/5/2013 4:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

Except that you couldn't guarantee the item going to someone who actually wanted it even if you didn't.

02/04/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Wisemansfear
TIL: People who give also take.

Translation: "Yes, I would beg items."

Which is why you can't trade loot.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
WRONG. The way I currently understand the loot rules in LFR are as follows. From 10 man raids, the average boss drops 2 loot items with around a 5% chance to drop a third. In 25 man raids, the average raid boss will drop 5 and sometimes 6 loot items. LFR's automatic loot system calculates the individual probability of a loot item dropping, and basically rolls for all the players in the raid that could potentially use this item. The loot is then awarded to the lucky player that won the automated roll, and everyone goes on with their raid. In other words, LFR still only drops so much loot. The chance of winning a loot item is not just some private roll made by each player, as most think it is.

Your wrong the devs have stated over and over again that lfr loot is 100% independent.
One player getting loot or not has zero effect on another players chance at loot.

This is not a feeling or a opinion it is fact. fact that is backed up by the devs that wrote the game code.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]