5.2 Changes - Not As Bad From PvE Side

90 Human Warlock
From what I can see from looking at the patch notes, we are not getting hit as hard as everyone was thinking. The biggest thing is the 5% reduction from Glimoire of Sacrifice. Other than that we got some pretty nice things added.

Dark Intent now increases Stamina in addition to Spell Power.
Glyph of Soul Shards has been removed and its effects are now baseline for Affliction Warlocks.
Glyph of Unstable Affliction has been redesigned. This glyph now reduces the cast time of Unstable Affliction by 25%.

Of course we all would want the 5% extra damage, but this shouldn't hurt us too bad. It'll just make us try harder.

EDIT: I was looking at Affliction changes, not sure about Destro or Demonology
Edited by Sylvannas on 2/6/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
The nerfs are the same as we know about for a while. People just overreact to nerfs.
Reply Quote
Hopefully destro will still have some number tweaks coming
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/06/2013 02:51 PMPosted by Noctowl
Devs have pointed out that affliction damage is too high, I'm just scared to see what they do to balance it.
The UA glyph actually makes it a little better (potentially quite a bit better, but I haven't looked at numbers on it).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Affliction is going to get tweaked down. GC has said several times Aff damage is too high. We were around the top for pretty much all of T14, it was fun while it lasted. Would be nice for the mage specs to come down with us too though. I'm expecting Destro to get tweaked up slightly and Demo to stay about the same, maybe slight downtune.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I'm moving to destro if they buff destro and nerf affliction. I'd rather have minimal effort for slightly less damage then a high effort slightly more spec. The only reason I'm Affliction now is because it's one of the best specs in the game. We move down 4 or 5 slots then Destro sounds like the way to go.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
But Destro is so...boring. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love giant Chaos Bolt crits. But it's just too much Immolate->Conflag->Incin til CB.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/06/2013 08:05 PMPosted by Dysnomiã
I'm moving to destro if they buff destro and nerf affliction. I'd rather have minimal effort for slightly less damage then a high effort slightly more spec. The only reason I'm Affliction now is because it's one of the best specs in the game. We move down 4 or 5 slots then Destro sounds like the way to go.
You think Affliction is difficult? Affdots takes any difficulty away from the spec. I actually run Affliction because it's simpler than Destro. I actually have to keep pressing buttons in Destro and think about when to launch CBs and Havocs.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I resisted using Affdots for as long as possible to preserve the complexity of the spec, making the decision myself for when to refresh dots and put Haunt up. But I mean, Affdots is implementing functionality for Destro as well, so I think it's a bit of a moot point.

I don't think any spec is really too complex anymore, not with all the resources, guides, and theorycrafting that's out there. I guess I just find refreshing dots at optimal times more interesting than spamming Incinerate and CBing when I'm either popping DS or OOM.

Edit: Also, that's pretty much my last thought on it. I've seen too many arguments on the lock forums and don't really want to get bogged down on it. To each his own. In general, I'll flock to whichever has the highest throughput on a certain encounter.
Edited by Zakigga on 2/6/2013 10:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/06/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Zakigga
But I mean, Affdots is implementing functionality for Destro as well, so I think it's a bit of a moot point.
That one DoT so hard to track haha.

02/06/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Zakigga
I guess I just find refreshing dots at optimal times more interesting than spamming Incinerate and CBing when I'm either popping DS or OOM.
Destro is a little more complicated than that, but not that much unfortunately.

The specs just aren't all that difficult anymore. Yeah, you need to understand your spec and the little things that make a big difference, but it's not like it used to be.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Thread's turning into a debate of which spec is less/more complicated. So pulling it back to the original topic...

02/06/2013 08:05 PMPosted by Dysnomiã
We move down 4 or 5 slots then Destro sounds like the way to go.

Is this a "what if" scenario that you're suggesting? If so, is this only based on the 5% damage reduction? I'm finding it a little hard to believe that we're going to drop significantly in damage with 5% reduction. Also, UA's CD has been reduced by the new glyph. (Yes, that's our consolation prize for the nerf, but it could be worse) Should be interesting to see our damage in the new gear with the new patch.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
There's not much to discuss. Affliction didn't get as significant of a nerf as other classes. Affliction gets better with gear more than other classes do, and the nerf is likely to keep it on par with other classes and not make it become godly. The GoSac nerf for affliction isn't even that bad compared to Destro. It's a lesser overall percentage reduction and Aff doesn't benefit from GoSac as constantly as Destro does. Aff also got a UA buff. The Destro nerfs aren't even that big for PvE even though people overreact to them. The FnB nerf to Destro is all but meaningless in PvE, and the GoSac nerf won't change the place of the spec all that much. I still seem to think there will be a Destro buff coming soon, but who knows. Destro also got a ton of buffs in 5.1 when the other specs were barely touched.

So yes, neither the affliction nor the Destro nerfs are going to hit us super hard. Other classes got it worse than we did. That being said, even a .01% nerf to GoSac would've gotten people here riled up and complaining, so take the complaints with a grain of salt. They often come from people who don't fully understand the class and just focus on the fact that numbers are changing without actually thinking about why.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/06/2013 07:27 PMPosted by Zakigga
Affliction is going to get tweaked down. GC has said several times Aff damage is too high. We were around the top for pretty much all of T14, it was fun while it lasted. Would be nice for the mage specs to come down with us too though. I'm expecting Destro to get tweaked up slightly and Demo to stay about the same, maybe slight downtune.

Wish he would say mage damage is too high.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Mages are getting nerfed too
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/07/2013 08:54 AMPosted by Loktronotron

I'm sorry, but where the hell are mages getting nerfed?!

Mage
Invocation now removes Evocation's cooldown, and reduces its channeling time and duration by 50%. A completed Evocation now grants 15% increased damage for 1 minute after an Evocation is completed, instead of 25% increased damage for 40 seconds. Passive mana regeneration is reduced by 50% only while Invoker's Energy is active.
Greater invisibility now has a 90 second cooldown (was 2.5 minutes).
Frostbolt cast by Mirror Images now deals 50% more damage.
Glyph of Fire Blast has been replaced with Glyph of Inferno Blast. Glyph of Inferno Blast causes damage-over-time effects spread by Inferno Blast to spread to 1 additional target.
Glyph of Blink will now increase the movement speed bonus provided by Blazing Speed's by an additional 50%.
Blazing Speed is now a level 15 talent, replacing Scorch. can be triggered at will, provides root/stun immunity, and has a 10-second cooldown (was 25 seconds). This ability replaces Blink.
Flameglow, a new talent is available at level 30 and replaces Blazing Speed. The passive ability encases the Mage in fiery energy, absorbing damage from each attack made against the Mage equal to 20% of their spellpower, up to a maximum of 30% of the attack.
Cold Snap now heals the Mage for 15% of maximum health when used, down from 30%.
Ice Floes now has a 45 second cooldown (was 1 minute) and its duration have been increased to 15 seconds (was 10 seconds).
Ring of Frost cast instantly through Presence of Mind now has a 2 second arming period before the Freeze effect is activated against targets in the area of effect. The 2 second arming period can be reduced by Haste.
Temporal Ripples from Temporal Shield can no longer be dispelled.
Deep Freeze now stuns the target for 5 seconds (was 4 seconds).
Glyph of Deep Freeze now removes it from global cooldown but also reduces its duration by 1 second.
Mage PvP 2-piece bonus now requires Counterspell to successfully interrupt a spell before applying the 4 second cooldown reduction to Counterspell.
Arcane
Arcane Blast's mana cost has been increased to 1.66667% of base mana (was 1.5%).
Arcane Charges now stacks up to 4 times (was 6), increases damage by 50% (was 25%), and increases mana cost by 150% (was 75%).
Fire
Scorch is no longer a talent and is now available to all Fire Mages.
Frost
Fingers of Frost now has a 15% (was 12%) chance to activate from Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt and Frozen Orb, a 5% (was 4%) chance to activate from Blizzard, and a 10% (was 9%) chance to activate from Scorch.
Glyph of Ice Lance now causes Ice Lance to deal 50% damage to 1 additional target, up from 40%.
Frostbolt now deals 24% more damage, but its debuff no longer increases subsequent Frostbolt damage.
Water Elemental
Freeze no longer does damage and only provides Fingers of Frost on a successful freeze.
Reply Quote
Minor nerf. But i still think it's poorly done. It nerfs affliction lock who are using it , fine that's good. Aff has been a bit too strong but why pick something that is a desto lock's bread and butter talent? It does nerf afflic but at the same time nerfs a spec that's already low average.

On a brighter note it makes this particular talent tier more even. That i do like , brings the freedom of choice with less of a penalty. See the thing is , Ruptai is a bit angry at me lately. He's feeling pushed aside as he was back in firelock TBC.

Edit : oops , didn't mention but i guess you all figured out i was talking about sacrifice.
Edited by Tigidou on 2/7/2013 4:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
That Cold snap nerf was reverted back to 30% >_>
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I don't read mage notes, I just know they're whining about the changes (esp arcane changes).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/07/2013 06:07 PMPosted by Loktronotron
I don't read mage notes, I just know they're whining about the changes (esp arcane changes).

8 hours ago....

02/07/2013 08:54 AMPosted by Loktronotron
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]