Rolling with three sets of gear????????

100 Human Paladin
I started back in BC as a Tank and been tanking as my main since, around Wrath with duel spec went also ret trying to keep up with 2 sets of gear so i could play each spec well, now my question is ( and looking for some advice) is it worth now in mop to also try Holy?? Is it worth it trying to maintain raid worthy sets for three specs, so your viable in all three?? Im thinking time, effort, bag space lol, Holy being its own unique play style and expense for a role you might get into from time to time. Just wondered if anyone has tried all three and become exhausted with it???
Reply Quote
97 Human Paladin
I used to carry around a Retribution, Protection, Holy, and PvP set. That was, of course, before they changed the impact of spellpower and intellect on Retribution (ie: they do nothing), so I don't carry the Holy set around anymore (except for a few transmog pieces).

But, if you're willing to actually go to a trainer and respec when you want to perform the role you're not currently specced as and you don't mind taking up a lot of space in your inventory just to have 3 full sets, go ahead. I don't think you'll have too many issues with it, unless, of course, you just can't grasp the playstyle of one of the specs, heh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I maintain 3 sets (Holy PVE, Holy PVP, and Ret). It takes up a ton of bag space.

Holy is great to play in, and... you have significantly shorter queue times than Ret (less than 5 mins compared to 20+ at times). You can still gear up your other spec while in holy as well (White tiger tokens in raid, and drops in dungeons via /greed).
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I've never spec'd holy, but I have a full 463+ holy set in my bank just in case I ever decide to try it out. It's pretty easy to acquire the gear from heroic dungeons since you can, without any nagging guilt, roll need on any intellect plate that drops as long as the party's healer is not a paladin.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I have a full raid-ready holy set that I use on occasion.

I also have a ret set.

My mainspec is prot.

The nice thing is that there's a lot of overlap between my ret and prot gear, so that cuts down on some of the clutter, but my ret spec is so rarely used that I'm not too worried about the state of its gear.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I have all 3 specs with sets over 490 with my Holy MS being at 500 (only pally on my 25 man team and most of our plate users have all their gear so it gets passed to me).

I don't really pay attention to all 3 sets though, my ret set mostly collects dust in my bank. The only reason I maintain it is just because it gets thrown at me due to my situation. I will say that it sure is convenient having all roles raid geared though, but that's about it. The downsides are having to respec and switch everything out every time you want to use your third spec, and that it takes away from my space for transmog. *grumble*

If you're interested in trying out Holy then go ahead, I'm not gonna say anything about someone thinking of trying my favorite spec. Outside of it being incredibly convenient since I can find a group for absolutely anything, there's no real need to force yourself to maintain all 3 specs (kinda overkill in most situations to be honest).

If you're able to get pieces for it sure go ahead, but you don't have to go out of your way to get it. No need to turn it into a job, do it only if you enjoy it. Good luck. ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I trispecced in 4.3. It was cool being able to do everything whenever I wanted but ended up as a pain collecting three sets of gear and having to constantly respec/reglyph. Not to mention expensive. And don't even get me started on inventory and bank space problems.

So no, unless your guild needs it, I wouldn't recommend it. Your mileage may vary though.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I use my Ret gear for Prot, the stat priorities are not that far off. I just do some quick reforging maybe put on a stam trinket throw on a 1H and shield and call it a day.

I also keep a Holy Set and a Holy PvP set in my bags as well, along with my Transmog set. It uses up a lot of space but if you keep your bags organized and vendor/sell/put in the bank the stuff you won't need you should have a decent amount of space.

I also don't carry around a bag full of vanity items either so that also might help slim down my bag space as well.

I personally like playing all three instead of only playing just one full time, I feel like I get less exhausted playing all the specs instead of doing the same thing over and over and over again. If you got the time I would recommend at least trying out Holy it is a pretty good healing spec, a little bit has been tweaked but for the most part it feels like holy was for the most part of the last x-pac.

Also I carry around stacks of Tome's of changing your stuff, always got to change your stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I trispecced in 4.3. It was cool being able to do everything whenever I wanted but ended up as a pain collecting three sets of gear and having to constantly respec/reglyph. Not to mention expensive. And don't even get me started on inventory and bank space problems.

So no, unless your guild needs it, I wouldn't recommend it. Your mileage may vary though.

Uuuguhhhh I gave up Holy after I realized I'd have had to maintain FIVE sets of gear to do everything I wanted to do (Ret PvE/PvP, Prot (lol, no PvP), Holy PvE/PvP). After a long hard look at how I wanted to approach Pandaria, I decided I'd had enough of healing face during Vanilla/BC and now wanted to DPS with my face in tank spec, and so far, haven't looked back. Sure, I miss having glowy hands in the back, but I like being upfront (and I like how Ret/Prot gear overlap subtly, though now I have separate sets for each).

If you're willing to front the bag space and spend the gold and time it takes to respec (and if you do, keep a keybind addon like ActionBarSaver, Keybind Profiler, or Bindpad), then by all means, go for it. But if you want to opt on the side of convenience, just focus on the two specs you find fun the most.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Uuuguhhhh I gave up Holy after I realized I'd have had to maintain FIVE sets of gear to do everything I wanted to do (Ret PvE/PvP, Prot (lol, no PvP), Holy PvE/PvP). After a long hard look at how I wanted to approach Pandaria, I decided I'd had enough of healing face during Vanilla/BC and now wanted to DPS with my face in tank spec, and so far, haven't looked back. Sure, I miss having glowy hands in the back, but I like being upfront (and I like how Ret/Prot gear overlap subtly, though now I have separate sets for each).

Back at the end of Cata that was exactly what I had, 5 sets of gear and I used them all. I respecced at least 3 times a day. Sure it was a lot of bag space but I enjoyed all the different play styles. Right now I only have Holy PvE/PvP and Ret PvE, though I have some Ret PVP pieces and I'm putting together a Tank set. If you like playing all the different roles I would definitely recommend getting a gear set for each spec.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
By 3 sets I was assuming you meant 2 pve sets, 1 pvp set... not all 3 spec sets; thats a financial burden on your gold purse if you ask me. :P

I used to carry 4 sets in my bags back in cata and wrath, Holy pvp/pve and ret pvp/pve.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Thanks for the advice guys, i think what ill do since im usually the only Pali is if a piece comes up and passed to me ill take it and once i get enough pieces ill try from there or what till the end of the end of mop if i dont have it all to buy and make the rest. This is Primarily to save on the gold for patch 5.2, and 5.3 since im spending tons on two specs as it is. Appreciate all the advice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I technically have 4 sets going at the moment. Ret PvE and PvP, Holy PvE and PvP. However, I don't really do Holy anymore. I haven't since Wrath. I just keep it around incase the moment comes where I need I.

I have no problem managing multiple specs or even a lack of bag space. My problem is they use the same item icon for everything, so it's a constant struggle to keep my bags organized and spec specific gear in their respective bags. They really need to add more icons. Even if the background color was different for different types of gear, it'd be much better.

But as for managing multiple specs, it's not hard. I prefer to heal on my shaman, though, so my
Holy sets are currently in the bank.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You're not talking just gear, of course, you mean duel speccing into ret and prot, and then changing one of them to holy every now and then or as needed by your raid?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but you have to think, every single time you change a specialization it costs gold, plus you have to go through and re-do your talents for that spec. AND since it wasn't one of your duel-specs (you newly acquired it by replacing on of your other specs) I think you'll even have to re-map your action bar every time you change to holy, and you'll have to do this again when you change back to ret/prot.

So while it's possible you're probably going to find it a little to much work and effort. But it depends on how often you're going to need to use your third spec. Carrying around the gear isn't that much of an issue. I carry around 4 sets when I get the gear (Holy PvE and PvP, and Ret PvE and PvP.) Currently I only have 3, working on my Ret PvP set though!
Reply Quote
92 Dwarf Hunter
Here is a thought. Roll another pally, it might make it easier in the long run. It's not really all that that consuming.

I have a lot of double\triple classes.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
In Cataclysm I actually went with three sets, heh. Holy (Primary healing), Tank (Secondary) and "DPS" (less on the dodge/parry tanking stats more on the damage stats) for solo questing in tank spec. It worked out pretty well, actually.

Decided just to drop the dps set and quest as a proper tank this time around with the talent and skill changes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]