Are Shaman Healer's really "Bottom Barrel"?

Shaman
- We are separating out Ancestral Guidance into a damage conversion number and a healing conversion number in order to allow for better tuning and to ultimately make the talent more attractive to Resto. I am guessing at the numbers right now, but imagine it says something like: "When you deal direct damage, 40% is copied as healing. When you deal direct healing, 60% is copied as healing."

Well, it is nice to see that they plan to address our T75 talents by making AG more attractive rather than bringing HTT down. Still hoping to see Conductivity reworked, but with 5.2 just two weeks away I don't foresee that happening at all. At least getting to chose between 2 attractive talents will be better than having just 1.
Edited by Korghal on 2/11/2013 7:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Conductivity is still stupid. . . .

The whole idea just needs to be scrapped and replaced with something that doesn't massively suck in every conceivable way for every spec. It is literally the worst talent idea I have ever seen in any game in my entire life. If the devs expect that they can nerf HTT enough that anyone will take the steaming pile of garbage that is Conductivity, they're delusional. Worst case scenario, if they nerf HTT hard enough (or best case scenario, if they make HTT baseline for Resto), everyone moves to AG.

The problem is the scaled back talent system is completely stupid. They alleged it needed to happen because there were too many cookie cutter specs with everybody calculating and then taking the "best" talents. Well, nothing has changed at all. With these talents, all too frequently there is a clear "winner" that everyone takes, or all three talents are lackluster and nobody cares.

This was especially bad for shaman. A large number of the "talents" are so dumb, it is hard to believe anyone spent more than 5 minutes in front of a white board before the talents went live. I think for at least a month after everyone else's level 90 talents had been announced, the shaman level 90 talents sat empty. They couldn't even think of anything.

Some of them are useless, but some others are based on feedback from Shaman's pre-MoP playstyle that just don't fit today. The "Totem" Tier would have been really nice last expansion (we we actually asked for it), but now it's just absolutely pathetic, to the point where I'm not even sure if I would have cared if the effects were baseline. Useless talents are not exclusive to Shaman I know, but i was serious when I said I felt Shaman talents feel like they are an expansion behind mechanics-wise.

Shaman Glyphs, however, have never had an excuse for their uselessness, and Minors are just as bad. The only one I even looked at was the Chain Heal palette swap one. More thought and dedication was put into the new Frog model.

Make the glyphed range baseline, buff the spell 20%, make the new glyph of chaining remove the riptide bonus but give a 15% increase

On a side note i still can't get over the whole "we can't adjust the jump of CH because the system engine can't support it and it does buggy things" they pushed forever and turns out all we needed was a glyph all that time :P.

A year or so ago, I was one of many Shaman very frustrated with how Chain Heal and the glyph was handled. But not enough people cared, so Blizzard didn't care, and there ya go. I'd go into it more but if i did my post would end up being far longer than my last one and I really don't want to complain about that yet again, so I'll just say that was one of my bigger Shaman beta disappointments.
Edited by Thaimaishu on 2/12/2013 2:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/12/2013 02:27 AMPosted by Thaimaishu
A year or so ago, I was one of many Shaman very frustrated with how Chain Heal and the glyph was handled.

To be honest i was always okay with it, just need to make sure it is used wisely, but still found it ironic that a minor glyph fixed the game engine :P
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/12/2013 02:27 AMPosted by Thaimaishu
A year or so ago, I was one of many Shaman very frustrated with how Chain Heal and the glyph was handled. But not enough people cared, so Blizzard didn't care, and there ya go. I'd go into it more but if i did my post would end up being far longer than my last one and I really don't want to complain about that yet again, so I'll just say that was one of my bigger Shaman beta disappointments.

Yeah, sometimes bliz just turns a blind eye.
In may/june I started a rampage on the beta forums saying, "People will be better off gearing by spamming BG's than by dungeon gearing b/c Justice gear stinks and honor gear > dungeon." 5 days after MoP release, and 2 days before honor gear becomes available they do a unanounced nerf to honor gear by 6 ilvls.
In june/july I joined the "5% spell haste buff is too critical for X healers not to bring" thread, since resto druids basically go from having WG/RJ breakpoint to it being a huge pain to get... oh yeah that never got changed.

In the meantime though, Chain Heal's bounce distance / whatever doesn't really matter. Because Chain Heal is irrelevant in any situation but tightly stacked. Losing even a single bounce is enough to make Chain Heal the wrong spell choice. Chain Heal's #'s are simply balanced around being a single target spell instead of being an AoE heal.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/12/2013 05:57 AMPosted by Pitkanen

Yeah, sometimes bliz just turns a blind eye.
In may/june I started a rampage on the beta forums saying, "People will be better off gearing by spamming BG's than by dungeon gearing b/c Justice gear stinks and honor gear > dungeon." 5 days after MoP release, and 2 days before honor gear becomes available they do a unanounced nerf to honor gear by 6 ilvls.
In june/july I joined the "5% spell haste buff is too critical for X healers not to bring" thread, since resto druids basically go from having WG/RJ breakpoint to it being a huge pain to get... oh yeah that never got changed.

In the meantime though, Chain Heal's bounce distance / whatever doesn't really matter. Because Chain Heal is irrelevant in any situation but tightly stacked. Losing even a single bounce is enough to make Chain Heal the wrong spell choice. Chain Heal's #'s are simply balanced around being a single target spell instead of being an AoE heal.

I remember that, because someone on the forums was really upset that they went out of the way to get that gear and then they nerfed it after that person was done.

The CH glyph also upset me more because quite a few Shaman were against the idea of a baseline increase. Hopefully I won't start anything by saying so, but it was mostly Shaman (not all Shaman) from 25s that coincidentally had no issue hitting all 4 CH targets due to how 25s work. A baseline range increase wouldn't have hurt them at all, mind you, but for some reason if CH could have been used properly in 10s it would have been "OP". Never mind that math proved them wrong then just like now. Never mind that Shaman still have to rely on ST healing (or HTT) for any type of spreading out, and that they are low enough on the meters that Blizzard is actually leaving HTT alone (really shocked about that) despite how good it is, cause they seem to know know what would happen to Shaman HPS if it did, and they seem reluctant to add yet another useless talent to the Shaman trees just yet.

I'm glad that Shaman are competitive in spite of that happening (and remaining an issue today), but thinking about how everything went down still leaves me a bit sour, almost as much as Tier 12. That and the other stuff showed me that I needed to get away from the class for a while, haha. I should not have been feeling that way about a class or a game, not worth it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]