Flameglow

90 Human Paladin
Flameglow is actually a pretty good talent. It may not be as good as ice barrier in pvp or temporal shield for raiding, but for questing it far surpasses both of them. Especially with the innvocation talent. For the first time in MOP, it is now possible for arcane to pull as many mobs as frost can and live through the encounter with a decent amount of life left.

Its worth a shot at trying it. Take it on a test drive on the new isle of the thunder king. The mobs there hit a lot harder than the mobs on regular pandaria. You'll notice it's far more effective than ice barrier is.
Edited by Derìk on 2/7/2013 9:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Just because the talent is situational and only better than the other 2 options in ideal situations doesn't mean that's all there is to it. All of the additional benefits to taking the talent give it more qualitative advantages over the other options in the tier. It's passive, no GCD required, no attention required, can't be dispelled, it's on 24/7 so it's not bursty, it's very predictable so healers don't end up over healing you while it is on, you can move your attention to other things while you just passively take less damage, and hopefully it has an awesome firey bubble effect whenever you get hit (fingers crossed!).

Also I certainly see this being very good with soloing for sure, as Derik said. If you are being attacked by multiple enemies at once, this talent starts to shine!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just because the talent is situational and only better than the other 2 options in ideal situations doesn't mean that's all there is to it. All of the additional benefits to taking the talent give it more qualitative advantages over the other options in the tier. It's passive, no GCD required, no attention required, can't be dispelled, it's on 24/7 so it's not bursty, it's very predictable so healers don't end up over healing you while it is on, you can move your attention to other things while you just passively take less damage, and hopefully it has an awesome firey bubble effect whenever you get hit (fingers crossed!).

Also I certainly see this being very good with soloing for sure, as Derik said. If you are being attacked by multiple enemies at once, this talent starts to shine!

Sorry. No fiery bubble attached to it. Unless you check your spell book, you would never know you had it. Doesn't even show up on your buff bar.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 09:54 PMPosted by Derìk
Sorry. No fiery bubble attached to it. Unless you check your spell book, you would never know you had it. Doesn't even show up on your buff bar.

Patch won't come until at least March. They could be working on it!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
i found the talent to be alot more useful than barrier
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 10:09 PMPosted by Foamy
i found the talent to be alot more useful than barrier

For what? We are trying to gauge whether it's really worth it in any competitive situations. Dailies are important, but talents aren't really balanced for them.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 07:08 PMPosted by Kurojushi
The concept is good but mitigates too little.

Need some real tests on the PTR to confirm this, sounds about right though.

test it and let blizzard know with time so they can buff it before release. now is the time to adjust it before it goes live
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Blazely

Need some real tests on the PTR to confirm this, sounds about right though.

test it and let blizzard know with time so they can buff it before release. now is the time to adjust it before it goes live

Post your analysis here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7811342046#1
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
I still see amazing uses for Temporal Shield in PVE, but I'll probably be flameglowing quite a lot of fights too. Maybe a 50/50 split between the two.
Edited by Digerati on 2/7/2013 11:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 11:01 PMPosted by Digerati
I still see amazing uses for Temporal Shield in PVE, but I'll probably be flameglowing quite a lot of fights too. Maybe a 50/50 split between the two.

Considering how neither talent requires any dps to be lost in order to provide the survivability, and how traditionally, Blizzard tends to incorporate a good number of damage over time effects into PvE, that sounds like a good plan to me. Keep in mind, however, the IB tends to be a bit better for progression, as it actually saves your life, whereas the other options simply make it easier on your healers and makes you less likely to die.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Temporal Shield can be a lifesaver in situations when it's used in a way to top yourself off before the big hit, or to heal you up against big damage that is spread out over time. I use it like this:

Garalon: A couple seconds before Crush

Wind Lord: 1-2 seconds into Rain of Blades

Empress: A couple seconds after the Sha corrupts the dissonance field

Lei Shi: As Get Away starts

On a fight like Vizier and Sha of Fear, IB will outclass TS, but yeah I'm greedy with the GCDs.

One other important thing is you can glyph Armors for Molten Armor, and it gives you 10% additional physical damage reduction, which makes it a viable alternative to the Evo glyph on several fights (notably Vizier and Wind Lord).
Reply Quote
55 Goblin Death Knight
Blizz really needs to rework how they advertise/display what a spell can do cause @ face value I read it like this:

Protects you with fiery energy, absorbing ($SPFI * 20 / 100) damage from each attack against you (up to a maximum of 30% of the attack).

In my eyes, it'll use 20% of your SP as minimum mitigation, so say 10,000 SP = 2k mitigation passive/on use/etc.

Then where it states 30% max of the attack, to me that reads if the attack is 100k = 30k mitigation.

If its not going to work as advertised then they need to rewrite it stating:

"Protects you with fiery energy, absorbing 20% equal to your SP in damage from each attack against you; no more than 30% of max SP."

So that way it'll be read "Ok I have 20k spell power so my mitigation will be roughly 4k-6k tops."

If this is in anyway wrong, someone better lay out a really good mathematical example explaining it better cause even the blue post doesn't make sense to me.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I actually think this will have significant use for PVE raiding since in a lot of fights you are taking consistent aoe damage which has to be healed through and with the amount of SP you can attain wearing PVE gear, could result in a large overall amount of damage absorbed.

Yes Temporal Shield can help heal back large bursts of damage, but generally I have noticed I am healed back to full before there is enough time for even 2 ticks of its heal which further reduces its effectiveness combined with the fact that its only useful for burst damage taken.

Ice barrier is not really an option for PVE thanks to its consumption of a global cooldown every 25 seconds or so.

I think Greater Invisibility + Flameglow could be the way to go for damage mitigation and survivability in PVE.

As for PVP.. hard to really say. I am going to have to do some in game testing with the two because damage taken from players is so varied in nature. With enough resilience, a lot of hits taken will be under the 20K-ish mark meaning flameglow will be performing at the max potential of 30% absorption.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
@Digerati
While the examples you give are reasonable, that isn't necessarily the best time to use Temporal Shield. Take Garalon and Empress for example. Sure, using Temporal Shield on Crush and the explosions is all well and good, and the result will be a ton of healing, but in either case, are they EVER going to save your life? That's the reason why IB has the popularity and usage that it has, if you use IB on those abilities instead of TS, you can prevent yourself from dying; even if you have to spend an extra GCD and the over all healing is much lower, a dead mage does 0 damage. Unfortunately, Flameglow does not help with this either, and that's why IB will continue to be the best choice for PvE for a long time until either the other 2 are buffed, or IB is nerfed.

@Yoinx
20% of your spellpower worth of absorption OR 30% of the damage done, whichever is lower. So if you get hit by 100k damage and you have 20k spellpower, you will absorb 4k and take 96k. If you get hit by 15k damage and have 20k spellpower, you will absorb 4k and take 11k. If you get hit by 10k damage and have 20k spellpower, you will absorb 3k. Get it now? It's simple.

@Abracadaver
I agree wholeheartedly. The hps and total healing done over the course of a fight will be MUCH higher than with either of the other options. Not to mention it's never overhealing and *hopefully* saves the healers lots of mana in the end. That's the big problem with TS for sure, my healers basically request that I tell them *not* to heal me, how is that good game design? I also agree that Greater Invis will be a very good option, but the mindlessness of Cauterize is still way too persuasive. I do disagree with what you say about IB though, as I said above, it's the only option out of the 3 that actually prevents you from dying, and that's the whole point of a PDCD (personal defensive cooldown).
Edited by Kurojushi on 2/8/2013 6:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/08/2013 06:52 AMPosted by Kurojushi
if you use IB on those abilities instead of TS, you can prevent yourself from dying; even if you have to spend an extra GCD and the over all healing is much lower, a dead mage does 0 damage.

its not a situation where "a dead mage does 0 damage"... You have a situation, and both options will allow you to survive but one costs a GCD and one doesnt. choose the one with no gcd.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/08/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Jkspiritlink
if you use IB on those abilities instead of TS, you can prevent yourself from dying; even if you have to spend an extra GCD and the over all healing is much lower, a dead mage does 0 damage.

its not a situation where "a dead mage does 0 damage"... You have a situation, and both options will allow you to survive but one costs a GCD and one doesnt. choose the one with no gcd.

Sure in PvP that holds true, you never get hit by a 400k hit in normal situations, but in PvE things like this happen very often. If you are at 200k health and get hit by a 250k hit, TS will do jack, but IB will save you quite handily. This is the reason why TS simply is not as good as IB in PvE, wasting a GCD is almost always worth having the chance to save your life.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
when I was testing it, i was dueling. I had people just use every cd they had to try and burst me down as fast as possible. Did this with both barrier and fireglow. Fireglow far exceeded barrier. Another thing you have to take into consideration is that fact that barrier can be dispelled. And it breaks anyway in 2 seconds after applying in most cases. It also frees up valuable globals in pvp, so instead of u getting to 25% and trying to apply a barrier and just dieing and realizing too alte that you should have blocked because u died in the global cd from applying barrier, you would have instead just applied the block in the first place
Edited by Foamy on 2/8/2013 8:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Blizz really needs to rework how they advertise/display what a spell can do cause @ face value I read it like this:

Protects you with fiery energy, absorbing ($SPFI * 20 / 100) damage from each attack against you (up to a maximum of 30% of the attack).

In my eyes, it'll use 20% of your SP as minimum mitigation, so say 10,000 SP = 2k mitigation passive/on use/etc.

Then where it states 30% max of the attack, to me that reads if the attack is 100k = 30k mitigation.

If its not going to work as advertised then they need to rewrite it stating:

"Protects you with fiery energy, absorbing 20% equal to your SP in damage from each attack against you; no more than 30% of max SP."

So that way it'll be read "Ok I have 20k spell power so my mitigation will be roughly 4k-6k tops."

If this is in anyway wrong, someone better lay out a really good mathematical example explaining it better cause even the blue post doesn't make sense to me.
If you have 25k SP, that means it'll absorb 5k damage from every attack that does 16667 damage or more. If the attack does less than 16667 damage, it'll eat 30%.

For example, if I hit the mage detailed above with a Fireball that does 100k damage while he's specced Flameglow, the initial impact will lose 5k so he'll take 95k. In addition, if my Ignite does 20% of the damage over 4 seconds (2 ticks of 10k each), it will eat 3k off of each of those since Flameglow can remove at most 30% of each attack. That's about 11k of total mitigation.

That same mage, if he had a fresh Ice Barrier up, would have mitigated 87k of damage. Of course, he has no protection at all now for the next 20+ seconds. The question is will Flameglow absorb another 76k of damage in the next 20 seconds?

If it's 5vs5 or 3vs3 Arena and the other team is focusing on the mage, yeah, I could see it happening. Most PvE situations? No, Flameglow is weak.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/08/2013 08:47 AMPosted by Foamy
when I was testing it, i was dueling. I had people just use every cd they had to try and burst me down as fast as possible. Did this with both barrier and fireglow. Fireglow far exceeded barrier. Another thing you have to take into consideration is that fact that barrier can be dispelled. And it breaks anyway in 2 seconds after applying in most cases.

What specs were you dueling against? Also keep in mind that PvP is not balanced around duels, so if Flameglow seemed good in duels, that doesn't translate into arenas and BGs. That is a good point though, IB is basically a reverse burst window, which makes Flameglow a lot more consistent and dependable.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I dueled ret pallies, rogues, monks, and hunters. Mostly classes that have high sustained and burst. The duels werent really duels, I stood there like a target dummy. Still took them quite a while to kill me with all cd's up. Had a regular duel with a shadowpriest, wasnt very good though casue it ended with me at full hp =/ so idk if the talent was too good at mitigating dots and i was good enough to kite away from fears or the priest just didnt know what he was doing
Edited by Foamy on 2/8/2013 9:06 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]