Heirlooms

Since I've been told that this should be put in GD, here it goes.

Why is it that they were introduced in WotLK, with the label "Bind on Account", received so many complaints about not being truly BOA and nothing was done? Blizz went and renamed them to "Binds on Battle.net Account", but many of the same issues still persist.

My wife and I recently started playing again, we've been in game less than a week. Upon our return, we decided that the server that we SoR'd to, wasn't one that we were interested in playing on any more. So, I immediately server xfered my shaman back to my original server with everything he could carry. When I finally logged into my original server, we found that it was dead. Only one of our old guilds even existed any more, and most of those players were re-rolling on a different server and the GM was considering moving the entire guild over.

So now we're in an empty Orgrimmar with none of our friends actively playing there. So, we decided to play on the server that my wife's guild was moving to, and sure enough it's a huge difference, and that's the good news. The bad news is that after two expansions, Blizz still hasn't figured out a way to transfer "Binds on Battle.net Account" gear properly. They say that it works because it can change servers with your character, but character xfers are too expensive for me to do again, let alone me and my wife. Round trip xfers would cost $50 if you just wanted to roll a character with a friend but didn't want to permanently move the character over. We've been told that the idea that this is a cash grab is false, that it's only a coincidence that the $25 fee for character xfer is the only way to move these items. They tell us that they ARE BOA because they move with your character.

Well, I understand that it may not be a cash grab, but I hope Blizz understands why players feel that way, and as for being BOA because they move with your character, so does all gear, and compared to the original launch of BOA gear, whites are just as transferable. I remember old systems that gave every character you rolled, regardless as to server or faction, that would get you your account wide pets. I've had a GM transfer a BOA item from my original server that I forgot to send over when using my friend's SoR (the enchantment was gone, but that was an acceptable loss) and I'm pretty sure that the Item Recovery process could be adapted to delete the item from a given character on a server and recreate it on a different character on a different server.

Any of these options would be acceptable. I know that the old system that mailed out pets was phased out, and that Blizz doesn't want to work on code for two things to get one thing to work. I know that it would probably be a lot of work to get the Item Recovery system adapted to move items over. But come on! Two expansions later, and proof that GM's can handle the moves in game tells me that this is just NOT a priority, and given the fact that character xfers are the only way to regularly xfer heirlooms after all this time, tells me that Blizz isn't motivated to make changes.

I hear what you've said Blizz, but actions speak much louder than words. If GM's can handle this in game (whether it was by creating and sending the item, then deleting it on the original server, or by some other means) then I know that you must have SOME way of getting it working sooner rather than later. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to run in a part full of people wearing BOA gear who are too low level to dual spec, but are needing on items for the same slots as their BOA's but aren't useful for their spec. Meanwhile, I'm losing these rolls left and right, still wearing whites in some slots because I just can't catch a break and knowing that if Blizz had really made this a top priority that BOA transfers would have been done by now. Hell, I'd even pay a $5 fee just to move all of my heirlooms from one character on one server to another character on different server.

So why hasn't this happened yet?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Cash Cows get milked.

And you see it. They see it. We all see it.

Moooooo.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
Let's not rehash the naming of BoA's. The name is accurate. What people want is cross-realm BoA's... and that's fine, but the name BoA is accurate. So let's just skip over that.

The reason though, that cross-realm things are difficult is because realms are different machines. WoW is built to communicate quickly and efficiently when it is the same realm. When it is not the same realm though, it gets a lot more difficult.

They are working on cross-realm wardrobes - but that's the difficulty.
Reply Quote
Let's not rehash the naming of BoA's. The name is accurate. What people want is cross-realm BoA's... and that's fine, but the name BoA is accurate. So let's just skip over that.

The reason though, that cross-realm things are difficult is because realms are different machines. WoW is built to communicate quickly and efficiently when it is the same realm. When it is not the same realm though, it gets a lot more difficult.

If cross realm anything is that difficult, then why do we have these 'cross realm zones' all over the place now? Data is being transferred back and forth all the time now. It's not just people's characters being temporarily moved to a dungeon server or anything like that, I can be running around on my own server and see people from Malfurion spamming for guild sigs.

And I said before, if GM's have the capability of moving my BOA item over from one server to another, why isn't there a self service action that I can take to do the same thing?
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
so its blizzards fault you didn't do your research before moving to a dead server?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/07/2013 10:30 AMPosted by Snowfox
but the name BoA is accurate

I disagree, and judging by the constant rehashing so do many others. More laziness by Blizzard. By laziness I mean make something truly account bound by making a page similar to your Pet and Mount pages, but filled with your unlocked arms and armor that you can put on your character. That would be account bound.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Lets put some things to rest (until the next beating of this dead horse)

1) They are Bind on Account as binding adds a restriction. No items in game can be sent cross server and they are items.
2) Pets and mounts are spells currently and were previously account wide which is different to binding.
2b) Pets also when turned into items are not able to be sent across realms (try caging a pet and sending it cross realm .. it won't work)
3) Blizzard does not want 'buy one and get infinite' for BoA items.
4) If it was a cash grab then they would never have changed them to B.Net account wide or able to be sent cross faction (Transferring a character from one account to another within your B.Net account is still $25 and faction transfer is $30)
Edited by Somaliu on 2/7/2013 10:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/07/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Eranos
I disagree, and judging by the constant rehashing so do many others. More laziness by Blizzard. By laziness I mean make something truly account bound by making a page similar to your Pet and Mount pages, but filled with your unlocked arms and armor that you can put on your character. That would be account bound.

Just because you disagree does not mean that you're right. Lol

Bind to Account is simply a restriction. It literally means that the only way to get it off your account is to delete it. What you're think of is Account Wide which is similar but not the same as things can be account wide without being BoA but they can also be Account Wide and BoA.

The pets/mounts fall under the Account wide. All mounts are BoA once they're learned but some pets are not BoA as you can recage them and trade them.

Edit; And the fact that many people don't understand it is not a good defense. :P
Edited by Sibenice on 2/7/2013 10:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/07/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Stealthyfail
And I said before, if GM's have the capability of moving my BOA item over from one server to another, why isn't there a self service action that I can take to do the same thing?

Because that's not the way they want to go about resolving this 'issue'.

As for the other bit of your post, you can see people on other realms, but you cannot trade with them (aside from conjured items).

Funny, isn't it? Can't trade to people across realms.. can't mail across realms.. It's almost as if there's some sort of technical limitation preventing cross-realm transferring of items of any sort aside from conjured (i.e. temporary) items at this point.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
but the name BoA is accurate

I am of the same mind, account is account wide not server specific. Hence the new and more accurate acronym should be used:

BTTEABOUBBFOTSTACLOIYWTUTOYEATPUFASTOJLTOTSSLTIAONSABBFOTOSTAOC Items

or more simply:

Bound to the entire account, but only usable by both factions on the servers they are currently located on, if you wish to use them on your entire account then pay us for a server transfer or just leave them on the server specif location that is as of now still accessible by both factions on that one server they are on, currently

Binds to Battle.net account is account, all servers at all times, like pets and titles and achievements.

edit: plus they have had 4 years to solve this *problem*. Can you honestly tell me that in four years they can solve many other problems but not address this one?
Edited by Bubblykiss on 2/7/2013 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/07/2013 10:43 AMPosted by Bubblykiss
Binds to Battle.net account is account, all servers at all times, like pets and titles and achievements.

No it's not.

Just because you disagree does not mean that you're right. Lol

Bind to Account is simply a restriction. It literally means that the only way to get it off your account is to delete it. What you're think of is Account Wide which is similar but not the same as things can be account wide without being BoA but they can also be Account Wide and BoA.

The pets/mounts fall under the Account wide. All mounts are BoA once they're learned but some pets are not BoA as you can recage them and trade them.

Edit; And the fact that many people don't understand it is not a good defense. :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/07/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Eranos

No, that would be account-wide.

Binding is a restriction. Not an allowance. "Binds to Account" does not mean or even imply "Can be sent to any character on your account". It means "Cannot be sent to any character not on your account".

Disagree if you want, but that's about as logical as disagreeing that the sun is bright.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/07/2013 10:40 AMPosted by Sibenice

It's not about comprehension, its about incorrect wordage. Blizzard trumpets heirlooms as something account bound, but then fails in its scope. So what happens? The loyal denizens make up a more specific list of wordage to confuse the issue.

When I cancel my account, is it just one server? Or faction, maybe? No. It's everything. The problem is the word account. It should encompass everything.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest

If cross realm anything is that difficult, then why do we have these 'cross realm zones' all over the place now? Data is being transferred back and forth all the time now. It's not just people's characters being temporarily moved to a dungeon server or anything like that, I can be running around on my own server and see people from Malfurion spamming for guild sigs.

That's different. CRZ is much more like instance servers, hence the delay/lag when you are crossing CRZ borders. Even in CRZ though, you can't trade items. Even in instances you can only trade the instance drops to people on other realms.

The issue is that computers and software are complicated - and when they try to make realms communicate with each other (say with CRZ or trans-realm grouping), that doesn't mean everything else opens up too. Item trading in particular is dangerous because of cross-realm and cross-faction potential for abuse... not to mention the actual technical challenges.

Well you can disagree if you like. It's just another beating of the dead horse over an already settled debate - and I don't feel like rehashed potatoes for lunch.

The term BOA is accurate, no matter what someone's agenda is.
Edited by Snowfox on 2/7/2013 10:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
It's not about comprehension, its about incorrect wordage. Blizzard trumpets heirlooms as something account bound, but then fails in its scope. So what happens? The loyal denizens make up a more specific list of wordage to confuse the issue.

When I cancel my account, is it just one server? Or faction, maybe? No. It's everything. The problem is the word account. It should encompass everything.

It's completely about comprehension. Many people do not comprehend that Bind to Account is not an allowance it's a restriction. "Binds to Account" does not mean or even imply "Can be sent to any character on your account". It means "Cannot be sent to any character not on your account".

It is also very possible for the heirlooms to be anywhere you want them on your account. The only thing is that they have to go through the same system that exists for moving -any- piece of gear from one character to another.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

It is about comprehension. You're reading "account bound" and interpreting it incorrectly as "account-wide".

It's not Blizzard's fault that you - or anyone else - don't understand the difference between the two.

The wordage is correct. Your understanding of its meaning is what's incorrect.
Edited by Calbador on 2/7/2013 10:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
This argument is stupid. Saying this implies that they have been diligently working at this one 'problem' for 4 consecutive years. That's a foolish assumption, given the amount of more important things that would easily take priority over this.

Just quoting this because it is absolutely astounding to read something like this.

It is about comprehension. You're reading "account bound" and interpreting it incorrectly as "account-wide".

bound 3 (bound)
v.
Past tense and past participle of bind.
adj.
1. Confined by bonds; tied: bound and gagged hostages.

wide (wd)
adj. wid·er, wid·est
a. Having a specified extent from side to side: a ribbon two inches wide.
Edited by Bubblykiss on 2/7/2013 10:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 10:42 AMPosted by Calbador

Because that's not the way they want to go about resolving this 'issue'.

As for the other bit of your post, you can see people on other realms, but you cannot trade with them (aside from conjured items).

Funny, isn't it? Can't trade to people across realms.. can't mail across realms.. It's almost as if there's some sort of technical limitation preventing cross-realm transferring of items of any sort aside from conjured (i.e. temporary) items at this point.

My point was countering the one made that data isn't sent across realms, it obviously is. Your position in your realm shows up in my realm. Your speech in your realm is sent across to mine. Data is being sent all the time. Sending data isn't the difficulty.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 10:52 AMPosted by Calbador

It's not Blizzard's fault that you - or anyone else - don't understand the difference between the two.

The wordage is correct. Your understanding of its meaning is what's incorrect.

Account wide means that my entire account has it (which is one of my suggestions), account bound implies that it is only BOUND to the characters on my account and can be transferred to other characters on my ACCOUNT (not just server, or faction, etc). Bound implies that no one outside of my account can have that specific piece of gear, but when you put account in any form in front of that, it implies that any character on my account may use it. There was never any indication when these were originally made that server transfers would be the only way to send them from one realm to another. The difference between 'wide' and 'bound' is merely an implication that I cannot have 10 characters all wearing the same piece of armor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]