Heirlooms

100 Undead Warlock
02/07/2013 10:55 AMPosted by Stealthyfail
My point was countering the one made that data isn't sent across realms, it obviously is. Your position in your realm shows up in my realm. Your speech in your realm is sent across to mine. Data is being sent all the time. Sending data isn't the difficulty.

Herein I agree. In cross realm pvp I get sent damage, heals, health stones and mana munchies all of the time.
Reply Quote

If cross realm anything is that difficult, then why do we have these 'cross realm zones' all over the place now? Data is being transferred back and forth all the time now. It's not just people's characters being temporarily moved to a dungeon server or anything like that, I can be running around on my own server and see people from Malfurion spamming for guild sigs.

And I said before, if GM's have the capability of moving my BOA item over from one server to another, why isn't there a self service action that I can take to do the same thing?

That's different. CRZ is much more like instance servers, hence the delay/lag when you are crossing CRZ borders. Even in CRZ though, you can't trade items. Even in instances you can only trade the instance drops to people on other realms.

The issue is that computers and software are complicated - and when they try to make realms communicate with each other (say with CRZ or trans-realm grouping), that doesn't mean everything else opens up too. Item trading in particular is dangerous because of cross-realm and cross-faction potential for abuse... not to mention the actual technical challenges.

I disagree, and judging by the constant rehashing so do many others. More laziness by Blizzard. By laziness I mean make something truly account bound by making a page similar to your Pet and Mount pages, but filled with your unlocked arms and armor that you can put on your character. That would be account bound.

Well you can disagree if you like. It's just another beating of the dead horse over an already settled debate - and I don't feel like rehashed potatoes for lunch.

The term BOA is accurate, no matter what someone's agenda is.

The fact that we've been told that this is something that they are looking into implies that Blizzard feels the same way as the players who complain, but don't feel the same sense of urgency.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/07/2013 10:59 AMPosted by Stealthyfail
Bound implies that no one outside of my account can have that specific piece of gear, but when you put account in any form in front of that, it implies that any character on my account may use it.

This is all very true. But it doesn't mean that BoA gear pieces are suddenly going to be able to circumvent the way you transfer gear pieces from one place to another. So any character on your account may use it but you have to figure out how to get it there. :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
After it was released, BOA got complaints that they couldn't send heirlooms to the other faction characters - that was amended. It will only be a matter of time until they amend this and the argument will favor us.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
02/07/2013 10:59 AMPosted by Stealthyfail
Account wide means that my entire account has it (which is one of my suggestions), account bound implies that it is only BOUND to the characters on my account and can be transferred to other characters on my ACCOUNT (not just server, or faction, etc). Bound implies that no one outside of my account can have that specific piece of gear, but when you put account in any form in front of that, it implies that any character on my account may use it. There was never any indication when these were originally made that server transfers would be the only way to send them from one realm to another. The difference between 'wide' and 'bound' is merely an implication that I cannot have 10 characters all wearing the same piece of armor.

There was every indication : the word "ITEM". They are still and will remain items and all items have the following properties :

1) Server specific
2) Can be transferred three ways : Mail, AH and Trade.

Now binding affects number 2 :

Bind on pick up removes all three when looted.
Bind on equip removes all three when equipped.
Bind on account removes AH and Trade and only allows mail to characters on your B.Net account.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/07/2013 11:00 AMPosted by Bubblykiss
My point was countering the one made that data isn't sent across realms, it obviously is. Your position in your realm shows up in my realm. Your speech in your realm is sent across to mine. Data is being sent all the time. Sending data isn't the difficulty.

Herein I agree. In cross realm pvp I get sent damage, heals, health stones and mana munchies all of the time.

All of which is temporary data not actually being stored anywhere on the destination realm. That was my point.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 11:02 AMPosted by Sibenice
Bound implies that no one outside of my account can have that specific piece of gear, but when you put account in any form in front of that, it implies that any character on my account may use it.

This is all very true. But it doesn't mean that BoA gear pieces are suddenly going to be able to circumvent the way you transfer gear pieces from one place to another. So any character on your account may use it but you have to figure out how to get it there. :P

If a GM can search my account, verify that a character has an item on a different server, verify that the item is truly what I say it is, then remove the item from that character and generate a new version of it (without any errors I might add) in my mailbox, then the major difficulty is developing an interface to allow players to do this either outside of the game or inside of it. The Item Restoration feature already provides the start of a great interface. You select the server your character who wants to restore an item is on, then you select the character, then it shows you any qualified items that were vendored or destroyed. The only difference at this point is that it should show only qualified items for transfer (BOA's). Now the big difference starts, because now you select the item(s) that you want and you restart the process of selecting a server and a character. From there the process would not be too dissimilar to character transfers.

Charge $5 for up to 10 BOA's and you're still making money and keeping players happy.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 11:11 AMPosted by Calbador

All of which is temporary data not actually being stored anywhere on the destination realm. That was my point.

Ah, but that information is archived, is it not? If I report you something that you did or said on Malfurion, and the GM doesn't get to it for another four hours, the GM will still be able to look back and check the records. So, the information is being transferred and stored. Also, GM's can look at the loot rolls and drops in a dungeon well after the fact, they can see your interactions with other players afterwards too. Data isn't just being sent off and never to be seen again.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Somaliu
Account wide means that my entire account has it (which is one of my suggestions), account bound implies that it is only BOUND to the characters on my account and can be transferred to other characters on my ACCOUNT (not just server, or faction, etc). Bound implies that no one outside of my account can have that specific piece of gear, but when you put account in any form in front of that, it implies that any character on my account may use it. There was never any indication when these were originally made that server transfers would be the only way to send them from one realm to another. The difference between 'wide' and 'bound' is merely an implication that I cannot have 10 characters all wearing the same piece of armor.

There was every indication : the word "ITEM". They are still and will remain items and all items have the following properties :

1) Server specific
2) Can be transferred three ways : Mail, AH and Trade.

Now binding affects number 2 :

Bind on pick up removes all three when looted.
Bind on equip removes all three when equipped.
Bind on account removes AH and Trade and only allows mail to characters on your B.Net account.

But my Battle.net account is spread across servers. If the mail system doesn't support it, then perhaps a service out of game can handle it, no? You just helped me prove my point. There is an explicit implication of transferability to anyone on my battle.net account which has not been reasonably met, and I really don't understand why some people don't want this, it stands to benefit everyone.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/07/2013 11:12 AMPosted by Stealthyfail
Charge $5 for up to 10 BOA's and you're still making money and keeping players happy.

This would be reasonable enough in my opinion.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
02/07/2013 11:19 AMPosted by Sibenice

Or charge $5 for access to a BoA tab/wardrobe, that is made free to access right after I pay my $5.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
02/07/2013 11:18 AMPosted by Stealthyfail
. There is an explicit implication of transferability to anyone on my battle.net account which has not been reasonably met,

Yes it has.

and I really don't understand why some people don't want this, it stands to benefit everyone.

People, and Blizzard, want this but some people realize that it will take a while and are sick of seeing these threads pop up every single day with misinformation in them. Your thread should only say 'Blizzard can I add my voice to those that would like some more information regarding the progress of getting BoA items to another server' and nothing more the rest was extraneous information that has been rehashed over and over.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
But my Battle.net account is spread across servers. If the mail system doesn't support it, then perhaps a service out of game can handle it, no? You just helped me prove my point. There is an explicit implication of transferability to anyone on my battle.net account which has not been reasonably met, and I really don't understand why some people don't want this, it stands to benefit everyone.

I can't think of anyone who's said recently that they don't want the ability to give heirloom gear to off realm characters. Most of us just see this exact thread pop up multiple times a day and are tired of the "BoA means that all of my characters can have it so Blizz lied to me and I'm angry and they need to fix it". It's fine to want a change but you don't need to warp the definition of something just to make a point.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 11:19 AMPosted by Sibenice

I'd drop $5-10 right now if that were an option, and much of the ground work has already been laid down. I don't care if I have to do it outside the game, or if it takes an hour like character transfers, or hell, if it even locked me out of the characters involved for that hour so that they could confirm that duplication didn't occur. It seems to me that the Devs are trying to come up with a completely original idea, possibly an in game idea (which would be great), but this seems like it might be a better path (although I must admit, I'm not privy to any information about their implementation)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Also, keep in mind folks that the problem isn't with the heirlooms at all, or their binding tag.

It's the simple fact that you cannot trade items across realms. Period. Conjured items are temporary. When you log out, they get deleted. The data that makes them exist on your server when you're sent them from someone on a different server is not stored anywhere on your server. It is temporary data that exists for the duration of your session and nothing more.

This isn't just an heirloom thing. It isn't Blizzard trying to milk the cash cow for transfers (which is a ludicrous theory to begin with). It isn't Blizzard using correct wordage to describe something that is exactly as it's being described.

It's an issue with the game itself and the inability to transfer items to another server in any way, shape, or form outside of transfers.

Put it this way. Let's assume, for the sake of this example, that cross-realm transferring of items is possible. In this scenario, there would be no limitations to where you sent your BoA items as long as they were being sent to a character on your account.

Having a restriction on the way the system works as far as transferring items in-game does not - in any way - negate the accuracy of "Binds to Battle.net Account". The wording is correct, because even with a transfer - they can only be sent to characters on your account.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Somaliu
. There is an explicit implication of transferability to anyone on my battle.net account which has not been reasonably met,

Yes it has.

and I really don't understand why some people don't want this, it stands to benefit everyone.

People, and Blizzard, want this but some people realize that it will take a while and are sick of seeing these threads pop up every single day with misinformation in them. Your thread should only say 'Blizzard can I add my voice to those that would like some more information regarding the progress of getting BoA items to another server' and nothing more the rest was extraneous information that has been rehashed over and over.

Some people realize that it's already BEEN a while. And no, they haven't. Spending $25 to move a character loaded up with BOA gear is not reasonable. If it was, Blizzard wouldn't even be considering a separate way of transferring gear without characters.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/07/2013 11:15 AMPosted by Stealthyfail
Ah, but that information is archived, is it not? If I report you something that you did or said on Malfurion, and the GM doesn't get to it for another four hours, the GM will still be able to look back and check the records. So, the information is being transferred and stored. Also, GM's can look at the loot rolls and drops in a dungeon well after the fact, they can see your interactions with other players afterwards too. Data isn't just being sent off and never to be seen again.

Go ask a GM to look back 8 years and see what you looted out of your very first dungeon on your very first character.

I'll wait. It shouldn't taken them long, they have everything saved. Right?
Reply Quote
Also, keep in mind folks that the problem isn't with the heirlooms at all, or their binding tag.

It's the simple fact that you cannot trade items across realms. Period. Conjured items are temporary. When you log out, they get deleted. The data that makes them exist on your server when you're sent them from someone on a different server is not stored anywhere on your server. It is temporary data that exists for the duration of your session and nothing more.

This isn't just an heirloom thing. It isn't Blizzard trying to milk the cash cow for transfers (which is a ludicrous theory to begin with). It isn't Blizzard using correct wordage to describe something that is exactly as it's being described.

It's an issue with the game itself and the inability to transfer items to another server in any way, shape, or form outside of transfers.

Put it this way. Let's assume, for the sake of this example, that cross-realm transferring of items is possible. In this scenario, there would be no limitations to where you sent your BoA items as long as they were being sent to a character on your account.

Having a restriction on the way the system works as far as transferring items in-game does not - in any way - negate the accuracy of "Binds to Battle.net Account". The wording is correct, because even with a transfer - they can only be sent to characters on your account.

Who said anything about trading items across servers? While it's been frustrating at times, I completely understand why Blizzard doesn't allow this. The functions that I'm talking about isn't about trading. Mail system is a possibility (with the condition of making it account wide vs bound) which doesn't require cross server mail. And I've admitted that cross server mail might be too difficult. But have you failed to read any part of my third solution which I endorse even more so than either of the other two options? Or did you just find one thing that sticks out as 'uber difficult' and use that as a basis to say that my argument of "this should have already been done" is invalid?

A GM did this for me in about 15 minutes, if you provided players with an out of game interface to do this themselves, similar to systems already in place, then the problem is solved. Transferring the stuff in game, in real time maybe too much to ask, but zero transfers without a character transfer is not nearly enough. Do you really believe that it's that hard to transfer an item cross server but not that difficult to transfer a character with all the items on them?
Edited by Stealthyfail on 2/7/2013 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
It's the simple fact that you cannot trade items across realms. Period

/rolls need

xxlegolaslassxx "hey bra, i neded that 4 os, BM"

/opens trade window
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]