Your Developer Interview Druthers

(Locked)

When seeking design insights on new or upcoming content, what developer press interview format do you find most useful?

Text or Transcript
Audio
Audio: Podcast Episode
Audio and Transcript
Video
I don't pay attention to developer interviews
This poll has ended - Feb 20, 2013
Community Manager
I'm in the process of scheduling fansite interviews with our developers to cover patch 5.2 content and design, and I'm curious what formats and topics are most popular among the community. In addition to this simple poll on preferred format, please elaborate on what you think makes for a successful (or unsuccessful) interview. Some examples:

• What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
  • Why do you prefer the format you voted on?
  • What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
  • What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
  • In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

Keep in mind this is specifically about press/fansite interviews with developers, and not public Q&As. The two aren't mutually exclusive and we'd like to host another developer Q&A in the near future.

Your feedback will help me assess our resources and determine a solid 5.2 interview strategy. Much appreciated!
100 Undead Warlock
I don't pay attention

What topics interest you most? systems and balance and pvp balance

Why do you prefer the format you voted on?

What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news? mmochamp

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past? n/a

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions? the blizzcon panels Q&As tend to be the most informative.

Ad expandia:

I have watched a few of the interviews online, typically on mmochamp or youtube and typically long after the fact. An interview does little to stir up excitement for me. I would rather read the highlights and transcripts of it.

I watched the Curse.com interviews conducted by *Pico* and wanted to leave this planet forever about 1/1000 of the way into it. If the interviewer was not a bubbly little girl I would have taken a greater interest in what was being said. However, she distracted from the goal (information) with her presence (annoying).

A little more on my interest more content: scenarios and dungeons and a moderate at best interest in LFR.
Edited by Bubblykiss on 2/6/2013 12:01 PM PST
100 Pandaren Priest
Text always demonstrated the most capability to give a reasoned and detailed response that really addressed the issue. Audio, even with transcript, sometimes failed to really respond to the questions we ask. I imagine a large part of this is getting to pick and choose what questions to answer, but I still think it's the best format, especially when compared to podcasts, which I usually think are horrible.

For example, I think the post Ion made about encounter balance was some of the best info we've gotten recently, and much better than any of the podcasts I've heard, personally.

Encounters and class balance interest me most.
Edited by Ezekiah on 2/6/2013 12:28 PM PST
90 Draenei Death Knight
Lore I really wanna see posts by blizz on the forums about lore!

I prefer text format because it can be more easily shared and quoted. Also text can prevent issues with audio recording and refining. So really you can get the info to us faster in text form because you don't have to spend extra time uploading e.c.t..

I use Icy-veins for anything I need to know.

And I'm to busy working on my own website adding new features e.c.t.. to really pay attention to the popular podcasts. Being a Guild Master I tend to know most of the things said in podcasts anyhow. I do keep my eye on MMOChamp though.

P.S. I don't got a ton of time to write up a response in a excellent Harvard format kinda busy hope this helps!
Edited by Mælstromedes on 2/6/2013 12:38 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
•What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)

Class design & balance, encounter design, lore

•Why do you prefer the format you voted on?

Love seeing people! Its much more personal that way. 2nd choice would be audio podcasts

•What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?

Gamebreakertv, Wow Insider, Tankspot

•What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?

Same as above!

•In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?

Hmm... well I do love the way gamebreaker does legendary (with multiple people), though it is also kind of nice to get the 'intimate' interviews like Lore had with Ghostcrawler, way back in the MoP press event.

On another note, thanks for doing these!!! Love the community interaction we get with this game!! You guys rock. <3
96 Draenei Shaman
For me, it's systems, encounters and content. Audio/video is best, because you get to hear the devs actually conversing about it and you can hear their passion for the game and get a better idea of "what were they thinking when...".

I get my text from MMO-C and media from Gamebreaker.tv and Tankspot and the occasional Convert2Raid podcast. But I'll listen to most if I'm made aware of them (usually through mmo-c). Tend to get most out of Gamebreaker though, they usually come up with good questions for discussion.

Interviews that aren't just 1on1 are best because the conversations tend to be more interactive and you can get more context and insights. 1 dev 2-3 interviewers is fine, multiple devs is ok too.
90 Human Hunter
What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
Systems, design philosophies, content previews

I like to put the video on my second screen and watch/listen while I do other things. I would of voted for audio/podcast as well if there was more than one vote per poll.

What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news?
mmo-champion, WoWhead, WoW Insider

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
I like the Blizzard podcasts when those are rarely done. Otherwise I generally don't listen to WoW-specific podcasts.

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?
One-on-one if it's a design interview about one segment of the game. If it's a content preview interview, I like to see multiple people.
90 Goblin Warlock
What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc.)
Lore, Art and Sound!

Because I don't understand english very well!

MMO-Champion!

What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past?
Same as above!

In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions?
One-on-one!
02/06/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Zarhym

Class Balance, Class Mechanics, PvP, and 'new' features (ie Dual spec, BoA cheeves, etc.). Basically, I play an MMO, I expect many constant changes to how I play the game (balance changes, spell/rotation adjustments, etc.). It's what keeps it fresh and fun.

I couldn't care less about Lore, Art, Sound, etc. Basically, Gameplay design is all I want to hear about.
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
I usually get most of my info from wowhead and mmo-champ. I also prefer audio and text transcripts. That way I can hear a conversation and read along. As far as topics - Pet battles. :DD

Personally I prefer 1 on 1 interviews. They are much easier to follow. Especially in a transcript.

ETA: I am also interested in the sound and art part of things. Particularly the concept, scenery, and general objects art. :)

ETA 2, son of ETA: ALSO the website/community team stuff as well.
Edited by Alona on 2/6/2013 12:33 PM PST
90 Draenei Shaman

• What topics interest you most? (i.e. systems, encounters, lore, content, art, sound, etc. Systems, Encounters, Class "balance" & development
  • Why do you prefer the format you voted on? Text is easier to consume, either in short segments or in one sitting. The only time constraint is how quickly you read, and it's easy to go back over points or reread them again. With video or audio, you have to pay attention the whole time, and while you can skip back/forwards, it's a bit troublesome to do so.
  • What sites or podcasts are your primary sources of WoW news? Wowhead
  • What sites or podcasts have conducted the most compelling interviews in the past? Compelling is an interesting description. To be honest, I wouldn't call any of them particularly compelling, although I don't listen to podcasts or audio/video interviews, and am not interested in PvP discussions at all.
  • In a single interview do you most prefer one-on-one, multiple people asking questions, or multiple developers answering questions? One on one or multiple developers would be best
Edited by Binkenstein on 2/6/2013 12:09 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I mostly get my news from MMO-Champion. I love the layout, the community is great, the blue tracker is very helpful and everything is done quite quickly/efficiently.

When learning about an upcoming patch, I am mostly interested in the lore/art work that goes into the content. Even though I don't like spoilers, I do like to know a general background as to what's going to happen in the upcoming patch. The thing that keeps me playing WoW is the story line, sadly not the gameplay these days.

I also love looking at the artwork and admiring the detail. I want to work on level design so I look at the raids/new environments from a developmental standpoint and like to ponder about the detail that goes into everything. The more detail and easter eggs available the better.

When it comes to interviews, I prefer a video with screenshots and gameplay clips along with multiple developers talking about the content. This is more immersive and gives the fans a better idea of what's to come. Especially with multiple developers answering questions, you get more points of view and generally more to talk about.
90 Human Warlock
02/06/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Zarhym

Lore the most, though I enjoy the info on art, sound, systems, content, encounters too (in that order)

I prefer text because I don't have to be focused on it 100% of the time and not worry about missing something, also there's not chance of mishearing anything.

Battle.net/wow/en , very occasionally wowhead.com - I tend to not be able to find any of the information I want on the other sites, that or it's on a video w/o a text aspect and as I said i like text.

Yours.

1:1 is just fine, though any of those are good.

Lore, content and systems.

I chose text/transcript because they are the most easily digestible no matter what device I'm using (mobile/tethered). While video/audio is cool, there are certain scenarios (work/mobile) where it's just not practical.

WoW Insider, MMO-Champ, WoWHead/WoWHead News

No preference.
98 Worgen Mage
Sorry for going off the template but I'll keep this condensed.

MMO-C and Wowheadnews summarize everything, it's a huge time saver. Though I did enjoy the legendary interview with GC. Think it should be multiple people w/ him, and a very professional environment like they provided.

In terms of topics, I'm all about the current and future state of raiding, like those you posted on D&R (and no1 else replied to the sticky :()

For everything else, transcripts work. They're the easiest to quote and discuss on the forums, along with passing onto guildies. However, I will say having a live interview might be the sort of thing that is better for PR and getting players back into the game for the new tier.

Also think cover it live chats haven't been as productive in terms of providing information but they're the best way to interact with the community.
Edited by Digerati on 2/6/2013 12:27 PM PST
100 Night Elf Rogue
I voted text/transcript. It's much easier to find time in my day to read through a transcript than it is to listen to (or watch) an interview.

It's also much easier for me to pluck out the bits that are relevant to me and my blog readers (by which I mean mostly myself and my cat, but still) when the text is already there for the copy-pasting, rather than having to transcribe it myself or wait for another fan to (and then wonder if they did so accurately, because I'm an untrusting horrible person).

That said, I think *doing* interviews in person or via phone/Skype/whathaveyou can often be as valuable, if not more so, than doing them via online chat or an email Q&A. It allows for more organic conversation, immediate follow-up questions and more "real" talk, which can be really informative.

I think there's a place for both interview approaches. But seeing the end result in text format is most helpful to me personally.

(I, too, get almost all my news/info from MMO-C, WoW Insider and sometimes Wowhead -- well, the stuff I don't get from Blizzard itself via the forums, anyway. There's a smattering of player blogs I read. I rarely, if ever, take the time to listen to a podcast or watch a video, esp if it's longer than around 8 mins.)
Edited by Rfeann on 2/6/2013 12:34 PM PST
90 Troll Druid

1. Encounters (From a simple idea to a fully developed encounter; maybe one person "creates" an encounter? It's an interesting process which challenges the originality and creativity of a designer/developer.)
2. Audio and Transcript ~ Read along. It's also easier to listen and play than read and play.
3. MMO-C
4. null
5. Multiple Developers answering questions from any number of sources (though the interviewer is a single person or network.). It's a collaborative effort, why should one person give all the answers?
90 Human Paladin
The topics that interest me most in a developer interview would be a mixture of systems, encounters, lore, and content (particularly lore in the case of 5.2--I'd love to hear more about the Isle of the Thunder King and what Wrathion's interest is in all of this).

I prefer audio podcast formats because I'm not always able to watch video and listening to an interview in audio form is convenient (for example, while exercising). If a video podcast is also available in mp3 or other audio download form, that would be good too.

I've always enjoyed listening to BlizzCast in the past (& I still enjoy listening to past episodes from time to time). My current favorite WoW-related podcasts are "Something Suggestive" and "Realm Maintenance," and I also enjoy getting WoW news from Wowhead.com and BlizzPlanet.com.

I prefer that developer interviews be conducted by a single interviewer, whether it is with a single developer at a time, or a panel of developers. (Panel discussions with multiple people asking questions are fun in a setting like BlizzCon, but in a podcast interview, it doesn't always work well.)

Hope this helps, and keep up the great work! :-)
90 Tauren Druid
Honestly, I would've thought that the first two, systems and encounters, would've interested me the most, but having listened to and read developer interviews in print and via podcast for recent patches, it was all very interesting, seemingly regardless of topic. Bad answer to help you guys out, I'm sure, but honest!

I prefer interviews done via podcast because it gets the feel of a real interview where you get to truly meet the person outside of their usual blue-posty persona. Audio feels very intimate and personal, and besides that, it's easier to multitask by listening to the interview while doing other things, like doing dailies in WoW.

I listen to The Instance Podcast to get news analysis and perspective, and I read mmo-champion and wowhead news to get headline news and blue posts on a more day-to-day basis.

I really dug the most recent round of interviews that The Instance did with Russell Brower, Christie Golden, and Chris Metzen, among others (and the ones they did at Blizzcons too!). It really felt like they took the baton and ran with it to give really great perspective and insights without getting rambly. That, and they were just fun audio in general to listen to--everyone was having a good time.

It's interesting having two developers (probably no more than that) answering questions back and forth just for a little extra perspective on how their two jobs intertwine and diverge. That being said, I enjoy one-on-one interviews just fine and would be perfectly happy to have more one-on-one interviews too. I'd say it's probably unnecessary but not necessarily unwanted to have more than one person asking the questions.
92 Blood Elf Mage

1) Systems, Encounters, Lore pretty much in that order
2) Text or transcript
3) mmo-champion, icy-veins, noxxic
3) n/a haven't seen enough to comment
4) multiple devs answering often with user submitted questions at the end.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]